Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Why? Think of the sales!

"So you're starting your Senior year. Celebrate with a new Mac Mini, built when you were in 10th grade."

I actually dread the Mac Mini update. I expect a thinner model with removed functionality and upgradeability just so they can knock off 4 mm like that is innovation. Please just keep the same form factor and put in better hardware. Not everyone wants a 128GB SSD and soldered RAM just so we can be gouged on the upgrades to make it usable.

Will be the last straw for me.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
The problem Apple runs into is that you can buy just about ANY Mac for $100 lower than you can buy it at the Apple Store. In most states you can not pay Tax also, making the savings MUCH better than the Apple retail price.

This has been the case for years, and it really doesn't seem to be hurting Apple Store's sales.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i was disappointed when i bought my macbook in october (I was waiting for the refresh) that the back to school promotion still didn't apply. July is summer, late august/ september is when school starts to resume so you think they would start the promotion then. oh well.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
i was disappointed when i bought my macbook in october (I was waiting for the refresh) that the back to school promotion still didn't apply. July is summer, late august/ september is when school starts to resume so you think they would start the promotion then. oh well.

Yeah, I've always thought Apple's Back to School promotion started way too early in the year.

----------

How long does this promotion run for?

Through to the end of August I believe.

Bayshun

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2014
This is one of those "buy it now only if you need it" scenarios. If you Apple follows their typical release schedule and pricing scheme then you can get the iPad Air for $399 in four months. An actual $100 savings rather than an included $50 gift card.

livin

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2014
As expected... but the question now becomes, "Do I wait until the refresh or will the spec performance not be sufficient enough to outweigh the $100 back-to-school giftcard?"

midnightvii

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2008
CA
I wish there was a "back to work" promotion for people that go back to work after a long 3 day weekend and want a huge Mac discount.

Or, back to work for people who are unemployed but able to find job. Apple give a tax break with 10% off! Wouldn't that be nice? :)

andrewr2123

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
Best Buy is having some great sales on MacBooks right now, and they are offering a $150 student discount on them as well. My brother just got a MacBook Air 13" for about $800.

LDPosse

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2014
Last month made 13 years since I graduated with my BS in CS..... And I still cringe when I see "Back to School" :eek: I'll take the real world any day over the stress and agony of schoolwork!

clover313

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2014
So I'm not able to get it in New Zealand....just brought an iMac that really sucks as it only happens in some countries. ...nooooo.

kacper

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
Does anyone know what time they will release the promotion? I'm in the eastern time zone.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
A :apple: shaped iPod?:D

Wouldn't that be cool :cool:

Don't ask why; just accept the fact that I made this:

sPnDYEC.png

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
This still comes out to be at least $50 more than bestbuy. Plus unless you need the gift card it's more like $60-70 more than best buy.

That said if I get an air it'd be 8gb so options are more limited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.