Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
The problem Apple runs into is that you can buy just about ANY Mac for $100 lower than you can buy it at the Apple Store.
I sometimes see $50 but rarely $100 on current models, as opposed to the previous-gen models that Apple seems to liquidate through MacMall.
In most states you can not pay Tax also, making the savings MUCH better than the Apple retail price.
One often ends up having to actually call the retailer to place the order, though, vs quick online ordering. I had to do that when I bought my son's iPod Touch from B&H.

The biggest issue I've had with Apple's educational promotions have been that they only apply to college students -- or is this one different?

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
Tax Free Days

Hey, California! How about doing a real back-to-school sale like many other states do to generate big business? They are called Tax Free Weekends. :cool:

They work!
The state won't go broke over the weekend or in the near future for that matter.
People will spend more vs shopping online (aka beating the tax) or getting friends & relatives in other states to buy big ticket items.
It works! :)

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
USA
I don't disagree. I am just pointing out that handing out a $50 or $100 App Store gift card is VERY little incentive.

Um... Are you even a college student? or a Student in general? We don't have that much money. Basically that's like taking off $300. Bringdown the low end macbook air to $749.00 an actual competitive price for Apple.

***Note I said $300 because students already get $200 off laptops****

We also get $120 off iPads (sadly only $20 for iPad mini)

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
I actually dread the Mac Mini update. I expect a thinner model with removed functionality and upgradeability just so they can knock off 4 mm like that is innovation. Please just keep the same form factor and put in better hardware. Not everyone wants a 128GB SSD and soldered RAM just so we can be gouged on the upgrades to make it usable.

Will be the last straw for me.

I feel exactly the same way.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This promotion used to be so much better. I got an iPod worth $250 as part of the promotion just 4 years ago. I could have even gotten $100 off a printer.

Yeah, but back then (including student discount) you couldn't get MacBook Airs starting at $799 or iMacs staring at $999.

Everyone also needs to remember that the date the sale ends is usually right before the iPhone Event in September. So mark your calendars when the store comes back online soon! I'm thinking the promo will be over on September 5, Keynote on September 9, pre-order September 12, launch date for iPhone 6 September 19.

Tiguan

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2014
So in the UK the end date for the promo is 9 Sept. At least we have something to work from now :)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Does everyone qualify for this promo? I'm not a student and put a 4th Gen iPad in my cart and was informed I qualified for the $50 GC sent to my email address and the iPad was marked down $20.

I didn't go thru with the sale but it looks like anyone can get in on the deal. :)

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Yeah, but back then (including student discount) you couldn't get MacBook Airs starting at $799 or iMacs staring at $999

Maybe not, but the entry-level macbook pro was the same price it is today.

antonio22m

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2014
Mac

If you are looking for a computer for surfing the internet, watching movies, editing documents, programming and other activities of daily average usage, then the mac mini is an ideal choice for you.
The good thing is that the Mac Mini produces very little noise, and it is an ideal office pc.Mini which takes up little space and consumes only 10W in stendbay mode, while his maintaining is almost unnecessarily.
Mac mini is small, compact and quiet, but you will not be able to play the latest games, therefore it is not recommended for gamers.
Take a look at this comparison at What-is-a-Mac-Mini and You will see comparison to iMac and Mac Pro.Anyone considering purchasing this Mac Mini needs to see the information in this chart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.