Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Unfortunately Apple's ecosystem is crumbling. Tim Cooked will go down as the worst CEO of Apple ever.

The world moved away from tools like Final Cut Pro and iWork/i(web/photo/dvd/etc)

People like me are becoming more common. Haven't been to the Apple store in a long time. Used to love to go and check out the new stuff.

Change is difficult. But I'll tell you what, once you're liberated it's fantastic!
Is this your stepping stone into comedy?

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
And CES vaporware announcements tend to never make it to market. I'm glad Apple took their time with the Mac Pro. Do you want a rushed out product with high possibility of unfixable bugs or for them to announce a product and take their sweet time getting out to be sure it's suitable for corporations to use without issues?

If that's the case, I assume that MPBs are being rushed for a few consecutive years in a row. Let's be honest here, Apple is no more a computer company. Their priorities have been shifted.

However, I don't know if it really matters anymore. I don't think there are still many professionals left out there, that rely on their workstations to pay their rent, who still use apple or trust apple in order to make such a big investment.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Unfortunately Apple's ecosystem is crumbling. Tim Cooked will go down as the worst CEO of Apple ever.

Again, given how little you think of the ecosystem, you spend an awful lot of time talking about it.

The world moved away from tools like Final Cut Pro and iWork/i(web/photo/dvd/etc)

Final Cut Pro X has been improving and quietly growing its user base, as people move away from the stability, work flow and pricing issues of Adobe’s suite. Final Cut Pro X and DaVinici Resolve have both been gaining. Glad that you were such a devoted Apple user, that you do not even know what iWork is (Pages, Numbers and Keynote). As for iLife (Photos, iMovie, GarageBand and Music) Steve killed iWeb, and iDVD and the others are still quite successful.

People like me are becoming more common. Haven't been to the Apple store in a long time. Used to love to go and check out the new stuff.

Despite the devoted few, Desktop Linux users are not becoming meaningfully more common.

Change is difficult. But I'll tell you what, once you're liberated it's fantastic!

Given how much time you spend in this forum, you do not seem very liberated.

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
Again, given how little you think of the ecosystem, you spend an awful lot of time talking about it.

Final Cut Pro X has been improving and quietly growing its user base, as people move away from the stability, work flow and pricing issues of Adobe’s suite. Final Cut Pro X and DaVinici Resolve have both been gaining. Glad that you were such a devoted Apple user, that you do not even know what iWork is (Pages, Numbers and Keynote). As for iLife (Photos, iMovie, GarageBand and Music) Steve killed iWeb, and iDVD and the others are still quite successful.

Despite the devoted few, Desktop Linux users are not becoming meaningfully more common.

Given how much time you spend in this forum, you do not seem very liberated.

I'm only here to help others.

Billrey

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Copenhagen
Wow, you basically ignored all the examples I gave and only quoted the summary line. Impressive.

To make it easier for you here are some examples where the base machine is a great system vs. getting an iMac Pro (another great machine):

• One needs 40Gb/s or 100Gb/s Ethernet.
  • One needs two 10Gb/s Ethernet ports.
  • One needs internal high speed NVMe storage.
  • One has existing GPUs that one can move from external enclosures to internal slots.
  • One has enough money to buy the base machine today without needing to go into debt with plans to upgrade it as one has more resources available.
All of those are great, real world examples, that would make it make sense to buy the base configuration.

First you are incorrect. The SSD in the iMac Pro is also connected to the motherboard and is also high speed.

Other than that, you miss my point. For people who want the flexibility of a tower, you FIRST have to spend six grand on an woefully under specced and relatively slow computer. That’s the issue.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
First you are incorrect. The SSD in the iMac Pro is also connected to the motherboard and is also high speed.

Other than that, you miss my point. For people who want the flexibility of a tower, you FIRST have to spend six grand on an woefully under specced and relatively slow computer. That’s the issue.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don’t the case, cooling, power supply and motherboard all cost money? Are people expecting Apple to just give that away for free?

Off-hand, I estimate the case and cooling cost about $1000, maybe $500 for the power supply, and that motherboard looks like it easily exceeds $1000 as well. Put them all together, tack on the CPU, GPU, ram and storage, throw on the typical Apple margin, and it seems about right.

Apple obviously isn’t going to address both the mid end and the extreme high end at the same time. So the only way this makes financial sense is if you tack on enough upgrades and drive up the price so high that the cost of the case is practically a rounding error at this point.

I am not sure what you expect Apple to do exactly.

Reactions: Roode

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
In the light of day and after a cup of coffee I see that you're absolutely right. Sorry for being so abrasive, it was not warranted or productive.
Why is it that so few people—on this forum, or in real life—are man enough to admit when they make a simple (and easily understandable) mistake? Good God we’re all human, we all make mistakes!

Three things have served me very well, in both my personal life and particularly in my career: 1) keeping an open enough mind to realize when I was wrong; 2) admit when I’m wrong; and 3) own that and genuinely apologize.

Kudos to you Nugget. As someone who has been following the exchange between @Alan Wynn and OP from the beginning, it was obvious Nugget that both you and Alan knew your “stuff”, were both “right” but were talking somewhat at cross-purposes. In person these convos are quicker and you can often get to the “I see what you mean” point much quicker. Written responses, carefully worded with cogent points (on both sides) takes a lot of time and effort but ultimately can lead to the same conclusion.

It’s unfortunate that emotional maturity is in such short supply around here but there are still enough good posters—despite all the trolls—that it’s still worth hanging out here. People can argue, and don’t have to be so invested and dug into their positions to the point where it’s not possible for one side to say, “oh ok, when you put it that way I get what what you mean now” and for the other to gracefully acknowledge that.

Last edited:

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
Um, You know all those TV shows on all those channels and ALL those streaming services? And all those commercials you see on YOUTUBE before videos play? You know almost all those albums and songs you hear on the radio, or spotify, or itunes or pandora? Or ALLL those movie scored? Yeah, about 99% of them are edited and mixed with Mac Pros from the 5,1 to the 2013 version. So, I'm not sure what pro's you're referring to that left Mac for windows. I've been a professional editor since 1998 and I've worked at countless facilities and production companies and I have NEVER seen any editor, assistant editor or mixer working on a PC in 20 years!

I work in the AAA games industry. Macs have been an extinct species here for a very, very long time.
[automerge]1576368844[/automerge]
Not many to be honest. At least, on the video editing side of things. Last week I was listening to the editor that won the Cannes Palm d’or, a Korean, and he was still using FCP7. I have my 5.1 and it still kicking, got an award at Cannes and all with it. I really want to upgrade, need to, but most of the features are still being finished in 2k.

Then it must depend on the industry. Pro CG and AAA game dev is 100% Windows.

Reactions: Billrey

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I work in the AAA games industry. Macs have been an extinct species here for a very, very long time.

It seems OP was referring to editing and mixing, and in the facilities he or she works in. It’s cool that your company uses PCs though.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017

It is high speed, but the largest supported is 4TB, and anyone who needs more high speed internal disk space would consider the Mac Pro.

You look at it one way, I look at it another: a machine with a great deal of headroom to grow in any direction needed. This machine is targeted towards the high end of the market, while allowing mid-tier users to purchase it as well and upgrade it over time. Clearly it is not the machine you want, but there are many others for whom it is a great choice.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Why is it that so few people—on this forum, or in real life—are man enough to admit when they make a simple (and easily understandable) mistake? Good God we’re all human, we all make mistakes!

Have to agree with you here!

Three things have served me very well, in both my personal life and particularly in my career: 1) keeping an open enough mind to realize when I was wrong; 2) admit when I’m wrong; and 3) own that and genuinely apologize.

I agree. Fortunately, I am never wrong, so that is not a problem for me. :-D (Were that only true!)

Kudos to you @Nugget. As someone who has been following the exchange between @Alan Wynn and OP from the beginning, it was obvious Nugget that both you and Alan knew your “stuff”, were both “right” but were talking somewhat at cross-purposes. In person these convos are quicker and you can often get to the “I see what you mean” point much quicker. Written responses, carefully worded with cogent points (on both sides) takes a lot of time and effort but ultimately can lead to the same conclusion.

Totally agree. (Even liked his snark about the wheels and the goal posts.)

It’s unfortunate that emotional maturity is in such short supply around here but there are still enough good posters—despite all the trolls—that it’s still worth hanging out here. People can argue, and don’t have to be so invested and dug into their positions to the point where it’s not possible for one side to say, “oh ok, when you put it that way I get what what you mean now” and for the other to gracefully acknowledge that.

Yup. One of the biggest problems in these discussions is that people have very different starting points for their needs and neither understand nor acknowledge that there are other options. I completely understand that there are many use cases that Apple does not address well, but I also recognize that it will always be the case. Do I wish that Apple built a Mac Mini Pro (I mostly want ECC RAM which means either Xeon or AMD at the moment and more Thunderbolt IO)? Sure. Do I advocate for it? Not on here, as I am not sure the market is there for it.

Just one example. :)

Reactions: PickUrPoison

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017

Maybe at your studio. Many studios have developers and artists on Macs, even for studios that do not release non-windows versions. Quite a few of the cut scenes are edited on Macs.

Wait, are you saying different industries are different? Who would have thought that? I am not sure how you define Pro CG, but there are quite a few effects houses that use Macs. The most popular tools all support macOS and do so because people pay for it.

Reactions: Stephen.R

Billrey

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Copenhagen
It is high speed, but the largest supported is 4TB, and anyone who needs more high speed internal disk space would consider the Mac Pro.

You look at it one way, I look at it another: a machine with a great deal of headroom to grow in any direction needed. This machine is targeted towards the high end of the market, while allowing mid-tier users to purchase it as well and upgrade it over time. Clearly it is not the machine you want, but there are many others for whom it is a great choice.

I am a high end user, in the sense that I would benefit greatly from fast GPUs and 28 cores.
The problem is that for high end prices, you get low or mid range performance.
for $6000 I would expect higher performance and more storage than an iPad Pro.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
I am a high end user, in the sense that I would benefit greatly from fast GPUs and 28 cores.

The problem is that for high end prices, you get low or mid range performance. for $6000 I would expect higher performance and more storage than an iPad Pro.

Sorry, if you consider $6,000 “high end prices”, you are not talking about the same high end. As has been demonstrated repeatedly on here, this machine is priced similarly to other professional workstations from Dell and HP. Those, however, do not support macOS, 4 separate Thunderbolt busses, MPX Slots or the Afterburner card.

Again, you keep making it clear that this machine does not address your needs, so you should not worry about it. If your needs do not include macOS, and do include nVidia, it is possible that Apple will never address them. While I love my iPad Pro, it is not in the same league as this machine and comparing the two is meaningless. My iPad Pro does not support 10Gb/e (or any Ethernet at all, for that matter), does not support Thunderbolt, nor an Afterburner card. That card adds more to many video workflows than either the CPU or GPU, and is a Mac Pro exclusive right now.

Maybe things will change when Apple releases a Mac Pro based on its own CPU architecture, with a different price/performance curve, but for the moment, this is a great machine for a set of users and not appropriate for other sets of users. As has always been the case, Apple does not serve all possible use cases, and while people might wish they did, it is not going to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.