Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
16 core, base RAM, base GPU, 2 TB SSD, feet not wheels, no afterburner, trackpad not mouse, Apple Care.
That seems very sensible. 16-core is the sweet spot, and I assume you’ll be upgrading the RAM on your own. Crucial has the 64GB for $337... $2k for 384GB but maybe that’s overkill for your workload, which I can’t remember.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I support 75,000 of each in my business and I know it’s not true so I’m curious as to why you think it is.
... your business has 150K computers in it... so you're saying you personally own a company that has more PCs than Apple has employees on the planet?

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I think when PP users start working with FCPX on the 7.1 with the afterburner card (ProRes) and the Vega II Duos, some will be converted. Not to have to go through a proxy workflow and to be able to process though 6K and 8K video with no speed degradation is something I am personally looking forward to...
Adobe committed to ProRes RAW support in Premiere Pro in September. Avid Media Composer and Edius as well (guessing when they add support for Catalina). So editors will not have to switch NLEs to use ProRes and the AfterBurner card, though as they wait for support they could start to learn FCPX. I have used it on a few projects and it definitely has some pluses, especially in the speed of editing once you get used to know it.

Reed Black12

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
You said Macs last at least three times longer than a PC.

I support 75,000 of each in my business and I know it’s not true so I’m curious as to why you think it is.
First of all, I never said that. I AGREED with that. Second, correct me if I'm wrong are you saying you actually use a PC that dates back 9 or more years?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
First of all, I never said that. I AGREED with that. Second, correct me if I'm wrong are you saying you actually use a PC that dates back 9 or more years?

If there are is a lot of proprietary software then i can see that happening. It wasn't that long ago that most ATMs were running Windows 95 in 2007. And in Baltimore, the payroll systems for the public schools were running Windows 95 up until they catastrophically crashed in 2012.

Reed Black12

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
If there are is a lot of proprietary software then i can see that happening. It wasn't that long ago that most ATMs were running Windows 95 in 2007. And in Baltimore, the payroll systems for the public schools were running Windows 95 up until they catastrophically crashed in 2012.
Hmm. Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of personal computers as opposed to infrastructure type systems. I stand corrected. Got it.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Hmm. Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of personal computers as opposed to infrastructure type systems. I stand corrected. Got it.

Don't take it the wrong way. Anyone (personal or business) still using a system over 5 years old is asking for trouble or a lawsuit. More than 4-5 years active is rare, which is why it makes headlines when we hear about anyone running something older.

Reactions: Reed Black12

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017
That seems very sensible. 16-core is the sweet spot, and I assume you’ll be upgrading the RAM on your own. Crucial has the 64GB for $337... $2k for 384GB but maybe that’s overkill for your workload, which I can’t remember.
Thanks! I ended up cancelling and ordering again with 4 TB of storage and a Vega II. The delivery date didn't change. For memory, I think I'll begin with 6x16GB from Crucial. My workloads include video and software development.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
... your business has 150K computers in it... so you're saying you personally own a company that has more PCs than Apple has employees on the planet?

I’m not the owner, but yes. You’re shocked that a business has 150k+ machines? Common for banks and very large enterprises.
[automerge]1576009025[/automerge]

The oldest machine in my house is a VAIO Z from 2010 running W10 just fine.

The oldest Mac in my house is a 2011 MBA that is unusable with the latest supported OS thanks to Apple making it obsolete & vintage. The weak ULV i5 CPU can’t process the most basic of tasks without screaming to a halt & freeze up.

Reactions: PC_tech

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I’m not the owner, but yes. You’re shocked that a business has 150k+ machines? Common for banks and very large enterprises.
No, not shocked that a company exists with that many computers or staff, I was questioning your specific phrasing.

“In my business” is not how anyone I know would describe the company they work for, that’s all.
[automerge]1576009786[/automerge]
Yeah I would just put the existing 4x8GB on the shelf.
I remember places used to have trade in deals (usually for laptop memory due to limited slots) but given that 12x8GB is still 96GB there might be ok-ish demand (it’s not gonna be heaps though they’re only $60 a pop new from crucial) for extracted factory apple 8GB rdimms.

Last edited:

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Oh and for anyone who wants to take pity - even on a fairly modest BTO - 16c/1tb/AppleCare (8.6k usd) the FX to local currency here (Thai baht) adds about $1100 over the market FX for usd/thb.

If you want truly eye watering, maxed out it tops 2M THB (67.7K usd).

• Wow
Reactions: Zdigital2015

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Oh and for anyone who wants to take pity - even on a fairly modest BTO - 16c/1tb/AppleCare (8.6k usd) the FX to local currency here (Thai baht) adds about $1100 over the market FX for usd/thb

Actually, the UK price is almost a pleasant surprise - I'd been expecting $6000 to turn into £6000 (with £1 ~= $1.30 and UK prices including 20% tax its in the same ballpark, so many US firms just trouser the difference to cover import/export and compliance costs).

However, its actually £5500, and after you add 11TB of SSD its still under £7k... so I'm eating my words and rushing out to buy one..... (er, no, not actually - it'd still be a £3500 tower with £2000 surcharge for 2-3x as much expansion as I need :) ).

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
Adobe committed to ProRes RAW support in Premiere Pro in September. Avid Media Composer and Edius as well (guessing when they add support for Catalina). So editors will not have to switch NLEs to use ProRes and the AfterBurner card, though as they wait for support they could start to learn FCPX. I have used it on a few projects and it definitely has some pluses, especially in the speed of editing once you get used to know it.
The great thing about macs is that you can use both FCPX and PP depending on need. I've got PCs in my company but when those are all taken, editors can easily jump over to an iMac with their PP project.

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
That is awesome! Does that mean we will not have to hear you complain about them any more? Anyone who considers Ubuntu a replacement for a macOS machine is certainly not someone in Apple's target market.

Yeah, I love real Linux rather than old BSD code on a crap kernel. I even get ZFS, docker and KVM/QEMU!

Last edited:

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I priced out the iMac Pro I would buy against the Mac Pro I would buy. The Mac Pro came in at $7499, and the iMac Pro $7178. I wanted the wheels, otherwise the price would be closer.

On the iMac, I chose a lot of upgrades that aren't user replaceable: Ram, Storage, and Video. I kept the base processor config.

Honestly, if I wanted a desktop I would think of the Mac Pro. I can upgrade a lot of it and and get close to 10 years of service out of it.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
I don’t follow the AND rumor mill, any idea when threadripper will support more than 256GB of ECC or is that going to continue to be an EPYC segmentation play (which I wouldn’t blame them for doing)?

Here’s the best article I could find on TR3 chipsets supporting 8-channels of DRAM, which lends to a high DRAM ceiling, since they are basically peeling off an EPYC feature for the TRX/WRX80 PCH, although I have yet to see anyone committed to a motherboard with, say 8 or 16 slot to support up to 2TB of DRAM - https://www.techpowerup.com/258739/amd-readies-three-hedt-chipsets-trx40-trx80-and-wrx80 - that being said, AMD has a strong product portfolio, but it just doesn’t have the key pieces Apple wants to make a switch.

At this point, Intel is probably the best bet, despite the sh*t job management is doing over there. Too many fiefdoms, too little innovation, too much fat and lazy, crappy messaging on its products in general.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.