Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Interesting Kickstarter campaign to turn a Mac Mini into a mini-tower with GPU bays:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animaionic/animaionic-turns-your-mac-mini-into-a-workstation

I do wonder what the penalty is of using eGPUs in various apps and contexts.

Great find! If it ever gets out of pilot and my current needs change I will definitely have to look into it.

So what happens to the fourth TB3 port? Surely they're not just ignoring the build in ports on the mini and using it to provide all the ports on the expansion case?

Could they be running the video cards on individual TB3 ports for better throughput? I am not sure if that is even possible with the mini, but just thinking out loud.
[automerge]1575991701[/automerge]
Also slightly disappointed the front port is a ****ing card reader. A USB-C (or ideally the fourth TB3 port) on the front would make it much more usable IMO.

I totally agree! The idea was great until that point. They should put the the TB3 and USB-A ports in the front (instead of the back).

Not to further hijack this thread I started a new one about this product in the Mac mini sub forum so anyone who is interested can comment there:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/animaionic-turns-your-mac-mini-into-a-workstation.2215145/

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Yes, took so long to destroy a standard pc architecture. Take a Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 and a liiiittle AMD EPYC like an EPYC 7302 add a ATI Radeon 5700XT or a Radeon Pro if you want to be even more "Pro" and you're good to go. Doesn't take three years.

Oh and if you want that cheese grater case - go for it:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/10...kalike-pc-case-kickstarter-cheese-grater-chic
What does “destroy a standard PC architecture mean”? Is that the same as “created a slot-compatible superset of standard PC architecture with the MPX bays”.

Or did you mean “destroy existing PCs by architecting a custom (optional) slot with an FPGA-based video encoder/decoder module that eats 12 streams of 4K ProRes RAW video or 16 streams of 4K ProRes 422 for a little snack”?

Please clarify.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Well, the price is the reason why many people are not in a market for Mac Pro anymore.

I don't mind, get off my lawn trolls ;)

If you can't afford this computer, then shut up I say.
I personally can't afford it but my day job will buy it since they know full well how the other half lives.
Our IT dept wont touch the Macs so I get all the fun :)

49erRedGold

Suspended
Dec 8, 2019
Well, almost 3 years from the announcement. What took so long ? Now it is in serious danger to be outdated from day #1... Because AMD threadripper.

And CES vaporware announcements tend to never make it to market. I'm glad Apple took their time with the Mac Pro. Do you want a rushed out product with high possibility of unfixable bugs or for them to announce a product and take their sweet time getting out to be sure it's suitable for corporations to use without issues?

Last edited:

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
What does “destroy a standard PC architecture mean”? Is that the same as “created a slot-compatible superset of standard PC architecture with the MPX bays”.

Or did you mean “destroy existing PCs by architecting a custom (optional) slot with an FPGA-based video encoder/decoder module that eats 12 streams of 4K ProRes RAW video or 16 streams of 4K ProRes 422 for a little snack”?

Please clarify.

I am curious at to how much the Afterburner kit will cost and whether it will work in an eGPU box such as my Asus XG Station Pro AND accelerate FCP X workflow to a meaningful degree given that the PCIe connection is restricted to x4. I cannot see any reason why it would be restricted to just the Mac Pro, other than the Mac Pro x16 slot is necessary to really make a meaningful dent.
[automerge]1575994041[/automerge]
Security guard's baton
Shot put...?

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017
Anyone know when we'll be able to order them online? Currently writing this at 10:40 Central time, and still not available on the Apple store. I don't plan on getting one; like many, I'm curious to see the pricing on the options.
The email from Apple included an invite for 9 AM PST.

I assume some kind of YouTube embargo will lift at that time too. E.g. iJustine takes the Mac Pro out of a box.

Last edited:

will_is_here

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2019
900+ posts later and people still don’t get the /s tag.
Oh, fiddlesticks.
Not on my game today.
[automerge]1575996459[/automerge]
Well here’s my prediction. 28-core with 1.5 TB RAM, 4TB SSD, 2 x dual Vega II: $60k. Same config but 384GB: $40k. Afterburner: +$20k. 2 x XBR: +$12k.

So $92k. With 8.5% sales tax, $99,820. So you’re way over with your crazy estimate. ?
$20K seems a bit much for a ASIC accelerator card.
RED sold the RED Rocket for $7000, and that is RED, the company that out overprices Apple.

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
You know whats a great way to spend my day? Going on a forum to complain about a product I’m not going to buy. That’ll be productive for sure.
If no one would complain Apple will continue to say that the PC area is over and no one needs PCs anymore. More people should complain so they know that the products they are making at the moment s..k. What is so hard to deliver a simple PC? PCIe slots, RAM slots, M2 slots - give people the choice to use what they want. If people want to use CUDA with an Nvidia gfx card Apple should deliver the best platform for it.
If people are happy with OpenGL and Vulkan and the gfx card vendors support it with blazingly fast drivers, go for it?

And the people complained cause all they wanted is the old MacPro back with some modern components. Nice, modular and flexible.

Reactions: PC_tech

basehead617

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
Well here’s my prediction. 28-core with 1.5 TB RAM, 4TB SSD, 2 x dual Vega II: $60k. Same config but 384GB: $40k. Afterburner: +$20k. 2 x XBR: +$12k.

So $92k. With 8.5% sales tax, $99,820. So you’re way over with your crazy estimate. ?

you forgot there’s an 8 TB SSD so add several more thousand

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.