Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Well, almost 3 years from the announcement. What took so long ? Now it is in serious danger to be outdated from day #1... Because AMD threadripper.

Reactions: Marekul

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Interesting Kickstarter campaign to turn a Mac Mini into a mini-tower with GPU bays:
Props for Faux Jony Ive voice over.

It does look interesting.

Presumably one TB3 port is used per PCI slot, and then a third is used for the M2 bay on the side.

But the back lists only USB-C connectivity, and the HDMI/USB-A and Ethernet should be all just pass through ports shortly.

So what happens to the fourth TB3 port? Surely they're not just ignoring the build in ports on the mini and using it to provide all the ports on the expansion case?

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Well, almost 3 years from the announcement. What took so long ? Now it is in serious danger to be outdated from day #1... Because AMD threadripper.
Yes, took so long to destroy a standard pc architecture. Take a Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 and a liiiittle AMD EPYC like an EPYC 7302 add a ATI Radeon 5700XT or a Radeon Pro if you want to be even more "Pro" and you're good to go. Doesn't take three years.

Oh and if you want that cheese grater case - go for it:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/10...kalike-pc-case-kickstarter-cheese-grater-chic

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Interesting Kickstarter campaign to turn a Mac Mini into a mini-tower with GPU bays:
Also, had to come back to comment.. am I the only one who finds it weird to hear someone who is clearly a native English speaker, mispronounce "striped" as "stripped" (in the second video, when creating a RAID0 array across the 4x M2's

Also slightly disappointed the front port is a ****ing card reader. A USB-C (or ideally the fourth TB3 port) on the front would make it much more usable IMO.

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017
I thought the Mac Mini could power two 4k displays.... not four....
Razer Core X. But not much longer...
[automerge]1575981477[/automerge]

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animaionic/animaionic-turns-your-mac-mini-into-a-workstation

I do wonder what the penalty is of using eGPUs in various apps and contexts.
Very nice find! I don’t see enough room for my radiator though.
Similar: https://www.sonnettech.com/product/xmacminiservertb3.html
I’ve found my eGPU to be a bit buggy though somewhat better under Catalina.

Last edited:
Reactions: OkiRun

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Need to rehash this point:
Anyone ordering the new mMP will not be able to stop at $6000 to get a machine for professional work. You will need to upgrade the CPU, RAM, VGA and storage. The PSU is fine.

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017
Need to rehash this point:
Anyone ordering the new mMP will not be able to stop at $6000 to get a machine for professional work. You will need to upgrade the CPU, RAM, VGA and storage. The PSU is fine.
I’m keeping a close eye on the PSU because it has network ports. It might be Skynet.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
for professional work. You will need to upgrade the CPU, RAM, VGA and storage.
... For your specific definition of "professional work".

The Radeon 580 is more than sufficient for anything task that just needs to drive displays.

The default storage is more than sufficient for the OS + Apps if a person/org has already invested in either local direct attached storage arrays, or shared SAN/NAS storage devices.

The RAM is kinda basic, but I'd expect plenty will upgrade over time, rather than just BTO-ing it from the get go.

The CPU I could see some workflows will be fine with, but I'd also expect this is probably one of the more common things to upgrade, partly because it's likely not considered user-upgradable by Apple.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
I was excited to see an update but at 5k starting price point, which more than average Joe, can afford this except for the very wealthy and professionals who would buy this equipment though their businesses. It is sad but never the less a great product they can be proud of at Apple.

I guess those "average Joe's" couldn't afford the 5,1 back in 2010 either as they were in the multiple thousands of dollars and into the 10's of thousands if you build it up. This is not a computer for the "average Joe" this is a potentially top end beast. 1.5TB RAM, 3 simultaneous streams of 8K ProRes RAW. This is a competitor to the HP Z8....which fully built out tops out at $120K.
[automerge]1575984532[/automerge]
I wonder how much a fully maxed out workstation with dual XDR displays will cost. $100k?

Maybe, Look up a fully maxed out HP Z8.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I bought a MP 3.1 octo when released. It was $2000 stock. About 10 years ago, still sitting next to my desk, but I don´t use it much anymore. Mostly due to lack of fast connections. I don't need the power that often, but when I do I would love to have it available.
I mostly shoot 8K footage (some times 6K and 4K, but even a MBP can handle that reasonably)
So when time is of the essence and I need to render out edits to clients, I would love a MP.
But as much as I want one, the price tag I just to high for my one-man band operation. Luckily the iMacs are getting very capable, so I cannot complain too much

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
The iMac, mini, iMac and Mac Pro comprise only 20% of Mac market share; less than 4 million units a year between all 4 models. And iMac is probably 3 of those 4 million.
In short, there’s no room for the tiny niche market of Mac Pro to be further subdivided into yet another platform.

...that's 20% of the market share of the #4 largest PC maker on the planet. Sales of a few hundred thousand tower Macs would probably make it the #1 selling desktop workstation (considering that HP, Dell, Lenovo take the idea to the opposite extreme by having a ridiculous number of different models). Plus we're talking about a bog standard Xeon/AMD/i9 PCIe system made from commodity components in a nicer-than-average box (which is all the new Mac Pro will be in a few months when the PC makers have picked up the new Xeon-W range with its increased PCIe and RAM support) - the design/tooling should be a fraction of that needed for an ultra-thin design full of custom parts and envelope-pushing cooling. Unless, of course, you insist on bolting a bit of abstract modern sculpture to the front to act as a dust intake.

I think that the problem with Apple - anything that's not an iPhone is seen as small change.

As much as you want a cut-down Mac Pro, not enough people want what you want.
...yes, because I'm the only person here complaining...

Many pros switched to the iMac platform, which as you say, provided tremendous value with their amazingly inexpensive 27” Retina screen.

As I said, the iMac is good value if you actually *want* a (fixed) 27" 5k screen. That's a very big if. If you want a matched pair of 24" screens, or a 40" 4k screen that you can use at 1:1, or an ultra-wide screen (or, for that matter, an XDR display) then that value is lost, and all Apple can offer you is a Mini with an eGPU (and a laundry list of caveats and compatibility issues) or a $6k Mac Pro that forces you to pay for vastly more expansion capacity than many people need.

Anyway, whatever the reasons may be, Macs are expensive. You say too expensive, and surely that’s true for you, but 20 million buyers a year disagree with you.
...but Apple‘s never going to be able to make everyone happy.

But as you've just said, those 20 million don't care about the Mac Pro - which is what we're talking about here. (...we've already established that the iMac is good value - but with qualifications - and, as an aside, the 16" MBP has just been given a substantial value-for-money boost c.f. the old 15").

As for making everybody happy - what they've done with the Mac Pro is created the ultimate "niche" product that is only viable for people who do high-end video work, are committed to Mac OS but who aren't looking at render/compute farms or cloud computing. A $3-4k, up-to-dual CPU tower would have a far broader appeal.

Oh, and NB - if you need ultimate power, whatever the cost, there are PC Xeon systems with 56 cores (with dual CPUs) and/or enough slots for 8-10 GPUs.

Apples financials are audited, and I don’t think anyone is skimming any profits. There revenue is what it is, the expenses are what they are

It is not about skimming profits or fraud - it is about the number of degrees of freedom in the way a large, complex enterprise can legitimately calculate its "overall" margin to hit some "goldilocks zone" that satisfies both the Revenue and the markets. E.g. last time I tried to read one of Apple's financial reports, the "costs" included the notional value of potential future software updates. Even taken straight, the overall margin tells you zip about the mark-up on any particular item (unless you think that the mark-up on a base iMac is the same as the 6 times retail mark up on a 32GB RAM upgrade?)

MGrayson3

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
(unless you think that the mark-up on a base iMac is the same as the 6 times retail mark up on a 32GB RAM upgrade?)
How recent is this figure? For large memory and SSD upgrades, Apple has dropped in line with, at least, Dell. (Based on iMac Pro BTO pricing). This was a huge change to pricing, and I don’t think it’s made it into the zeitgeist.

Ulfric

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2018
It’s not the MB manufacturer that decides whether to provide RDIMM support; AMD’s CPU must support it.

Up until now, they have reserved that to EPYC. I doubt they want to undercut that with the 3990X, but maybe they will, who knows?

AMD's ECC support was depended on Motherboard vendors from the very beginning. For example Ryzen support UDIMM, but its up to motherboard vendor if they wanted to support ECC on consumer platform. There were very few x370, x470, x570 boards that ended up supporting UDIMM. I mean you can run ECC RAM on any run of the mill X70 Motherboard but error correcting won't work. Motherboards have to come with ECC support

Same with their HEDT platforms. First Threadripper 1 was Naples chiplets re-purposed for HEDT (Both of them probably have same memory controller) . Threadripper 2 was made from the ground up (Cause It was made on a new 12 nm Node & there were no EPYC on 12 nm Glofo node). So I wouldn't be surprised to see First gen supporting RDIMM while the 2nd not. But that could have led into feature consistency problem, probably the reason MoBo vendors dropped RDIMM support altogether on X399.(Speculation TBH). Now that Threadripper 3 are same ROME chiplets (which didn't pass the validation, I presume) I would not be surprised to see AMD supporting RDIMM/ LRDIMM on a new socket specifically pitted against Xeon W.

Last edited:

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
It's all about who plays golf with whom and what discount prices Apple gets from Intel.
Ryzen is probably low-margin because it's all brand new for AMD. Intel is pushing out its outdated designs for years now. They give Apple discounts and the rest is just a margin/numbers game.

To be honest, AMD might have great Ryzen CPU's, but I still believe reliable server chipsets a probably easier to build to spec than AMD right now. If Apple would sell a Ryzen MacPro with any stability issues regarding voltage and RAM, it might be a nightmare.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
QUESTION: Any re-purposing ideas for the 2013 and 2009 Mac Pro's? I sort of have a decent idea what to do with the 2013 one but the 2009... can't think of anything. Thanks in advance.

I've seen some nifty 2009s turned into mailboxes and aquariums.

I'm planning on snagging a 2013 when the prices plummet. I'm reading up on how they'll make great media servers with all of that RAM and processing power.

As for the topic, I don't know why anyone would think this new Mac Pro or any Mac is "expensive." It's a very relative term. $6000 is base model for a lot of big iron systems, and even some one-man-band freelancers drop $10k-$12k every 3-4 years on their systems. When your lights and food and shelter depend on how fast you can turn a project around $3000 a year for your main machine is just a line item in the invoice.

Reed Black12

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
QUESTION for those buying the MAC PRO:
What will you do with your old MacPro?

I have 2013 and 2009. Any re-purposing ideas? 2013 I kinda have a plan but would like to hear idea's from others.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
QUESTION: Any re-purposing ideas for the 2013 and 2009 Mac Pro's? I sort of have a decent idea what to do with the 2013 one but the 2009... can't think of anything. Thanks in advance.
File server, backup server, Linux box, dedicated Windows box, although Windows 10 isn’t supported, VM instanced, ingest box for video, boat anchor, wheel chock, car lift, lego diorama container.

• Haha
Reactions: Digital Skunk

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
How recent is this figure? For large memory and SSD upgrades, Apple has dropped in line with, at least, Dell. (Based on iMac Pro BTO pricing).

On Apple's website, upgrade to 32GB for a 27" iMac is $600
On Crucial's website, a kit with 2x16GB sticks is $125

...the latter would actually take a base iMac to 40GB, so you need to subtract the value of 2x4GB sticks, but Crucial don't list those. A single 8GB stick is $35 so I'm being generous to Apple by rounding it down to $100.

Of course, that's comparing it with retail prices for one-off purchases so the actual cost (to Apple) vs. selling price mark up will be somewhat higher.

I picked iMac RAM because its easy to compare like-for-like (the Micron sticks Crucial sells are more likely than not exactly what Apple uses).

Yes, Apple's SSD upgrade prices have come down for some models. and the 16" MBP has dropped the laughable 256GB entry point (still waiting on the Mac Mini), but they're still around twice the retail price of the faster NvME/PCIe M.2 sticks (I don't mean the cheap SATA ones). Of course, in that case, its debatable what the "equivalent" is. Most expensive 1TB stick I can find is the $300 Samsung 970 Pro, most are <$200 - vs. $500 to add 1TB to an iMac, or $400 to take an iMac Pro from 1TB to 2TB (which is almost reasonable, if you're getting the same grade of SSD as the premium-priced Samsung).

Note: I only raised this issue here to illustrate that Apple's mark-up varies enough that their 'average' gross profit doesn't mean much in individual product comparisons. All PC makers gouge on this sort of upgrade, but with HP/Dell etc. they tend to be more generous with the base spec and it's much more likely that you'll be able to add RAM/SSD yourself (a) at all, (b) with standard commodity parts and (c) without completely dismantling the machine (e.g. iMac Pro, Mac Mini).

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
you got the point. i'd love to stay on macos.
but i m not spending 20k on an config i get more performance for 6-7k on the pc market.
so lets see what they charge for the 28core
[automerge]1575964862[/automerge]

what the heck, i'm gonna buy a threadripper system to see how that is to work with
for the mac i wait till people post their experience with switching parts (specially the cpu) on their own
The pc market runs Windows. No thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.