Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahoydecoy

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
I'm getting 2.0 on the Apple TV (4K) and 5.1 straight through my Samsung app, but neither are showing 4k HDR. All I'm getting is 1080p. Anyone know why? I've had a look for other versions on the app as someone suggested, but I'm not finding anything.
[doublepost=1537977901][/doublepost]
I'm getting 2.0 on the Apple TV (4K) and 5.1 straight through my Samsung app, but neither are showing 4k HDR. All I'm getting is 1080p. Anyone know why? I've had a look for other versions on the app as someone suggested, but I'm not finding anything.

In fact, I'm not seeing anything in 4k amazon... Just tried Red Oaks, which I watched in 4k HDR last year and I'm coming up 1080p. Weird. Have amazon rolled it back, or is something set up wrong?

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
[doublepost=1537977901][/doublepost]

In fact, I'm not seeing anything in 4k amazon... Just tried Red Oaks, which I watched in 4k HDR last year and I'm coming up 1080p. Weird. Have amazon rolled it back, or is something set up wrong?
Amazon puts up two copies of shows in 4k. You have to find the 4k version of that and you'll get it. You were likely viewing only the HD version.

skaro

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2004
I noticed this same problem yesterday going to watch the latest season of Man in the High Castle. Sound quality was dreadful - checked Sonos app and the Apple TV was outputting in stereo rather than Dolby. Tried the LG TV App and Xbox One X app and they both played in Dolby 5.1 fine!

donaldm241c

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2018
SW Florida
I noticed the same missing 5.1 shows. Prior to TVOS 12 more shows were 5.1, but after installing the latest TVOS more shows are missing 5.1. I was going to write a post but figured that Amazon once again was playing hardball with its competition. The issue that has existed for over a year is now worse.

Latest TVOS update installed last night, I now see the 5.1 logo on Amazon Prime shows where none seen before (this is the title header of the Amazon title for each video). Most of them now play 5.1 even those 4K shows like Ryan now play 5.1, so the Apple update fixed most of my comments. Not sure if it was Apple 4K update or an unseen Amazon update

Reactions: Donfor39

LCC0256

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2017
Martinez, GA. USA
I apologize for this being such a simple question but how does one tell what sound codec is being transferred to or output from a 4K pass through AVR? I have a new Yamaha 4K Receiver and it is connected to my Apple TV 4K via HDMI 2.0 cabling (Then of course to my Vizio 4K TV) Thank you

donaldm241c

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2018
SW Florida
I apologize for this being such a simple question but how does one tell what sound codec is being transferred to or output from a 4K pass through AVR? I have a new Yamaha 4K Receiver and it is connected to my Apple TV 4K via HDMI 2.0 cabling (Then of course to my Vizio 4K TV) Thank you
My sound device (a Bose 650) has a selectable digital window that shows the type of video and audio signal being received via the input. I would assume most receivers have a similar display either on the Yamaha device or like mine on the remote

Reactions: LCC0256

Lumpy05

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Bloomington, IN

It depends, my pioneer AVR has an app that shows detailed video/audio signal input/output information.

Reactions: LCC0256

skaro

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2004
Latest TVOS update installed last night, I now see the 5.1 logo on Amazon Prime shows where none seen before (this is the title header of the Amazon title for each video). Most of them now play 5.1 even those 4K shows like Ryan now play 5.1, so the Apple update fixed most of my comments. Not sure if it was Apple 4K update or an unseen Amazon update

Man in the High Castle still outputting as stereo on Apple TV for me. Other shows on Amazon seem to play 5.1 so maybe it's just an issue with that particular show now. As I said in my earlier post, it's fine on other platforms.

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
Just adding that I have the same problem when watching shows through the Amazon Prime app on Apple TV. Many shows only playback with stereo sound even when being delivered with 4K. The same shows play 4K w/ full Dolby Digital 5.1 surround when using the Prime app on the LG TV.
And the latest problem I’m having is that purchased shows that do play in 5.1 audio have severe lip syncing problems, making it unwatchable. Again, I have to go to the TV’s Prime app to watch them without those peoblems.
Netflix and other apps have none of these issues on the Apple TV 4K.

Cap.T

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2018
The lip sync issue can be "fixed" by turning off frame rate matching in the Apple TV settings. Of course that means you might get micro judders because content dosen't play with the frame rate it's supposed to. When frame rate matching switches over to 24Hz the sync issues happens. When you watch content that's 50Hz or 60Hz there are no lip sync issues. Of course most content is 24Hz...

By the way, the lip sync issue with active frame rate matching is not just a problem with the AppleTV 4K. As soon as you engange frame rate maching and are using an AV-Receiver for audio you will have lip sync issues. I've had that problem with the ShieldTV, the AppleTV 4K and the FireTV 4K-Stick as soon as I used the frame rate matching function on those devices. I tried it with different TVs and AV-Receivers. The problem was always there. Activate frame rate matching and audio will be out of sync. For me it's usually about 20ms.

Your TV-App probably doesn't support frame rate matching, which is why you don't have that problem there. This lip sync problem when using an AV-Receiver and frame rate matching and the stereo only sound on the AppleTV 4K have turned me off almost completely from Prime Video.

There is a silver lining though hopefully: When you watch a show on Amazon Video that streams with Atmos sound (like the UHD version of the new Jack Ryan series) there is no lip sync issue, even if frame rate matching switches to the correct 24Hz. The problem doesn't seem to exist when it's an Atmos track, even when frame rate matching is active. But watch something in stereo or 5.1 Dolby Digital in 24Hz and the problem is back.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Basically, I cannot find any true verification that Atmos work with the Prime App on ATV 4K. A few have said it does from what I've seen. Most have said it does not. Atmos works in Netflix and iTunes on the ATV 4K fine here. I only get stereo output from Jack Ryan (even the 4K UHD version).

I have an Nvidia Shield and it added Atmos support, but you have to have a 4K TV/Projector to get Atmos (or buy a rather expensive HDFury Vertex or Linker that fools the devices into thinking you have a 4K set and converts everything down for you). I at least get 5.1 sound on the Shield with Jack Ryan (again just stereo on the ATV 4K). Given I don't need Vudu since I have Movies Anywhere through iTunes, I hate to spend $150-300 for an HDFury product if Apple does the job without one and I'm not buying one just for that Jack Ryan show. I was always impressed Apple has it set up to allow Atmos even with only 1080p output, which is how it should be since Atmos has NOTHING to do with the 4K video source other than marketing. There are dozens of Atmos 1080p Blu-Rays out there and even the 4K only ones can technically be ripped and moved to a 2K version with the right equipment. I own over 100 Atmos titles, 25 DTS:X titles and 10 Auro-3D and they all play fine without 4K on my 2K/3D projector with a 92" screen. I'm not buying another projector any time soon just for HDR (which doesn't work great with front projection) and a slightly (about 30-50 percent perceptible increase based on the scientific data I've seen relative to human vision resolving distances for a given screen size and vision acuity at that size screen at 9 feet from the front row).

Cap.T

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2018
Basically, I cannot find any true verification that Atmos work with the Prime App on ATV 4K. A few have said it does from what I've seen. Most have said it does not. Atmos works in Netflix and iTunes on the ATV 4K fine here. I only get stereo output from Jack Ryan (even the 4K UHD version).

I have an Nvidia Shield and it added Atmos support, but you have to have a 4K TV/Projector to get Atmos (or buy a rather expensive HDFury Vertex or Linker that fools the devices into thinking you have a 4K set and converts everything down for you). I at least get 5.1 sound on the Shield with Jack Ryan (again just stereo on the ATV 4K). Given I don't need Vudu since I have Movies Anywhere through iTunes, I hate to spend $150-300 for an HDFury product if Apple does the job without one and I'm not buying one just for that Jack Ryan show. I was always impressed Apple has it set up to allow Atmos even with only 1080p output, which is how it should be since Atmos has NOTHING to do with the 4K video source other than marketing. There are dozens of Atmos 1080p Blu-Rays out there and even the 4K only ones can technically be ripped and moved to a 2K version with the right equipment. I own over 100 Atmos titles, 25 DTS:X titles and 10 Auro-3D and they all play fine without 4K on my 2K/3D projector with a 92" screen. I'm not buying another projector any time soon just for HDR (which doesn't work great with front projection) and a slightly (about 30-50 percent perceptible increase based on the scientific data I've seen relative to human vision resolving distances for a given screen size and vision acuity at that size screen at 9 feet from the front row).

Mostly it seems it's UHD-Versions of Prime-Content that offer Atmos. For example the UHD-Version of the Amazon Prime show "Jack Ryan" definitely comes with Atmos sound. I watched it with my Apple TV 4K a few weeks ago. The Full HD version of that show on the other hand does not come with Atmos. I have no idea why not or why amazon still instists on having seperate Full HD and UHD versions for their content and not one version like Netflix.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Mostly it seems it's UHD-Versions of Prime-Content that offer Atmos. For example the UHD-Version of the Amazon Prime show "Jack Ryan" definitely comes with Atmos sound. I watched it with my Apple TV 4K a few weeks ago. The Full HD version of that show on the other hand does not come with Atmos. I have no idea why not or why amazon still instists on having seperate Full HD and UHD versions for their content and not one version like Netflix.

Yes, I tried the one marked UHD here. But it's connected to a 2K projector so apparently that's enough for the App to reject using Atmos sound. What's more perplexing, however is that I don't even get 5.1 sound. It gives me stereo. My NVidia Shield supports Atmos on the Prime App, but because I can't view the 4K stream, I get only 5.1 sound (which is still better than just stereo that ATV 4K is giving me). I was hoping ATV 4K would allow Atmos sound with 2K like it does with iTunes and Netflix, but it looks like I'd have to buy a HDFury device to fool it if I want Atmos with Prime and Vudu since they insist you have 4K too for some stupid reason. Even my LG UHD BD player can down-convert the video while retaining the immersive audio.

Gueeds

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
I think it needs to detect a 4k display or it'll revert to 1080p and 2.0. Once I got a 4k TV then I got Dolby Atmos, despite having a DA receiver and it working in other apps. It's incredibly dumb a big company can't get this right in 2018/2019. Should just be one version of each title and it'll give you the best audio/visual quality on the fly based on what you have and network capability.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Jack Ryan is indeed available on Amazon Prime both in 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos! But you need to search for the right version, there are about three different versions and you need to navigate to the 4K section and select it.

The 4K search via Prime is shocking at times.
A lot of j Ryan has been viewed in hd yet today I continue with'End of Honour' episode in 4K (I have non hdr t.v.)

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2007
Just have to say, watched Jack Ryan through my stereo homepods last night and was Very impressed with the sound mix.... they did a great job, best I’ve watched so far with them

Reactions: Donfor39

f00fighters

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
Most of the content I'm checking on Amazon Prime is now only outputting 2.0 sound.

Any ideas? Apple TV and the AV Amp are working fine as it happily outputs 5.1 from Netflix etc.

It’s 2019, and Amazon has still not fixed this issue! No surround sound on Prime Video app from Apple TV 4K, but the native Prime Video app on my Roku TV works just fine. Ridiculous.

Reactions: Fatboymart

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I don't get 5.1 on Jack Ryan, but I did get it on some other things now on Apple. No Atmos without a 4K TV connected, apparently (if it works at all).

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
Glad to see I’m not alone here. Every Amazon Original outputsmin stereo only. Most movies come through in 5.1. I just don’t why this is still an issue. And of course, reaching anyone at Amazon who knows anything about this is nearly impossible.

donaldm241c

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2018
SW Florida
I don't get 5.1 on Jack Ryan, but I did get it on some other things now on Apple. No Atmos without a 4K TV connected, apparently (if it works at all).
Just checked my Amazon Prime on Apple TV 4K and Jack Ryan was 4K and Dolby 7.1. I checked many other 4K offerings and found all 5.1 or 7.1 and my Bose system reports audio as Dolby 5.1/7.1. I also checked HD movies and those that had 5.1 on the title marquee also played in 5.1 audio. So it appears for me that Amazon Prime is fixed in the audio area. This was not the case 6 months ago. Not sure when this got fixed. But as of 2/2/19, the 5,1 audio complaint is no longer for me. Using Apple TV 4K model with a BOSE 650 audios and a 4K LG OLED TV

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
I wonder if using an Apple TV 4K without a 4K TV is the issue. I don’t have a 4K TV and all the original series come thru in stereo only. Most movies are 5.1. But my PlayStation 3 outputs in 5.1. This is just so messed up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.