Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced it has reached a multiyear TV+ programming partnership with Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai that will involve inspiring dramas, comedies, documentaries, animation, and children's series.

Apple_Nobel-laureate-Malala-Yousafzai-to-bring-empowering-programming-to-Apple-TVPlus_030821_big.jpg.large_2x.jpg

"I believe in the power of stories to bring families together, forge friendships, build movements, and inspire children to dream," said Malala Yousafzai. "And I couldn't ask for a better partner than Apple to help bring these stories to life. I'm grateful for the opportunity to support women, young people, writers, and artists in reflecting the world as they see it."

Malala is a Pakistani activist known for her best-selling memoir, "I Am Malala," which she published at age 16. She also founded the Malala Fund to advocate for every girl's right to safe, free, and quality education around the world. In 2018, Apple became the Malala Fund's first Laureate partner, supporting the organization's work in eight countries where girls face significant education challenges.

Article Link: Apple TV+ Announces Partnership With Nobel Peace Prize Winner Malala Yousafzai

Last edited:

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
"Build movements" = create activists for a specific political agenda. I cant see how content on subscription-based paid service as Apple TV+ can inspire young Pakistanis living in poor rural areas, but hey, it is good marketing. Im 100% in favor of improving access to quality education around the world, but you dont do that by producing inspiring dramas or similar content that is available only to few people having access to modern smart TVs and apple devices.

edwrap

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012
I appreciate what Apple is doing here, and with many of their other content partnerships, but they're at a real risk of painting themselves into a "woke" corner with Apple TV+. Might as well just keep the service free and have it serve a PBS-like function with bettering the world as its mission statement

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
Ugh. No thanks. She is such a phony.
Says someone who does not come from a place where women are regarded as chattels and baby-making machines. Where women are often not allowed out of their home unless accompanied by a male relative
Where women get a basic education until they are old enough to be married to someone they may have never met before.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
"Build movements" = create activists for a specific political agenda. I cant see how content on subscription-based paid service as Apple TV+ can inspire young Pakistanis living in poor rural areas, but hey, it is good marketing. Im 100% in favor of improving access to quality education around the world, but you dont do that by producing inspiring dramas or similar content that is available only to few people having access to modern smart TVs and apple devices.

Pakistan is part of the world, no? We usually make improvements when peoples of multiple counties/cultures come together.
TV shows, media events, rallies all help spread the word to others.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
If that was the only thing she was doing you might have a small point. Considering the partnership with Apple is only one of the things she's doing your criticism seems to miss the mark.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
If that was the only thing she was doing you might have a small point. Considering the partnership with Apple is only one of the things she's doing your criticism seems to miss the mark.
Im not referring to what she does in general, but to her collaboration with Apple in particular. It is pointless. It is pure marketing. Apple should focus on creating REAL entertaining content, grow it revenue from Apple TV+ and then donate whatever they want to charity to promote education in less developed countries. Creating inspiring dramas and documentaries on this topic, does not help, but only create activists, and not critically thinking young individuals.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Good for her, good for apple, and so on. There's a niche for documentaries and films like this.

Here’s my opinion. Apple TV is too narrowly focused. The shows that they have generally get good reviews, but they all are very similar. If you like or don’t like one you probably will feel the same about most of them. I’ve probably watched fewer than 10 shows/movies in the year and a few months that I have had a subscription. And the only reason is because I bought an Apple product and got free year, which has now expanded to a free year and 1/2. I watched the Wolfwalker animation, and the Tom Hanks destroyer WW2 movie, and the first episode of some of their series. Wolfwalker was good, Tom Hanks movie was ok, but none of the series caught my attention. I know people that like some of them so I can’t say that they are bad I’m just not attracted to them. And to me, they all have the same ’feel’ so I don’t watch multiple episodes (which people tell me I should because “it gets better “) because I didn’t watch those types of shows on network or streaming services in the past, and many of Apple’s shows are produced by the people whose shows I didn’t particularly care for then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.