Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I don't yet have an ATV4 and am thinking of buying one.

Can anyone post which apps / games are available ? Itunes somehow doesn't show them for me.

Thanks

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
GTA is not available. No Plex yet either which is what I was really hoping for.

Yeah I was hoping Plex would have been ready for launch. Over on their forums they have said there's been issues with it and it got rejected. But it's back in review with Apple and they seem confident it'll pass this time.
Considering Apple have already approved at least two unofficial Plex clients, there shouldn't be a reason for them not to approve the real thing, once it meets their standards.

Reactions: maverick808

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
So there is a NHL app on the new Apple TV today? During the keynote, the MLB team said that a NHL app would be coming in 2016.

Want to upgrade, but don't want to miss any hockey.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
So there is a NHL app on the new Apple TV today? During the keynote, the MLB team said that a NHL app would be coming in 2016.

Want to upgrade, but don't want to miss any hockey.
The new app will be coming in January 2016. The current app will be available today.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
Not looking good for ever getting an Amazon Prime app. Sadly they are no long platform agnostic and seem intent on pushing the Fire TV at all costs. Short sighted and anti consumer.

Personally I'd like to see MUBi on the new ATV. It's a great streaming service for art house, indie, classic, and genre films. It's on a few platforms now, including the PS4, but I'd like it on my new ATV.

BBC iPlayer is an absolute must of course and is apparently coming "soon" (whatever that means). All4 is also needed, but channel 4's app development is best described as glacial. They still don't have a PS4 app despite the huge success of that system. I wouldn't count on seeing it on the ATV for years, if ever.

Also, where is NowTV? It was supposed to be there at launch but is nowhere to be seen.

Reactions: seamusk

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
Not looking good for ever getting an Amazon Prime app. Sadly they are no long platform agnostic and seem intent on pushing the Fire TV at all costs. Short sighted and anti consumer.

Sigh.

That must be why it's available on other hardware.

BTW. Please, while you call Amazon short sighted and anti-consumer, share with the forum which other media streaming device, BD player or Television has an iTunes app that isn't a PC.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
Don't hold your breath for Amazon Prime.

Yeah... that's probably not going to happen. They even stopped supporting all their old apps so casting/mirroring from another device is hit or miss now.

Can't see them spending the time to make it work.

Sucks!

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
There's one called SimpleX, which is a paid app.
There's one that was mentioned on these forums, which is free for a short time and works with any DLNA as far as I can tell. It's called Video Explorer

I bought SimpleX. It works really well and is pretty slick. SimpleX played a variety of file types (everything I threw at it from my Plex server) and it worked really well. I didn't mind shelling out the $2.99 to not have two streaming devices on my tv, plus I just have this nagging feeling that Plex isn't going to get approval, though that's total conjecture on my part!

seamusk

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
Personally I'd like to see MUBi on the new ATV. It's a great streaming service for art house, indie, classic, and genre films. It's on a few platforms now, including the PS4, but I'd like it on my new ATV.
I've been looking around trying to figure out if MUBI has one in the works but nothing I can see. I'll probably contact them soon. I miss their forums.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
Sigh.

That must be why it's available on other hardware.

BTW. Please, while you call Amazon short sighted and anti-consumer, share with the forum which other media streaming device, BD player or Television has an iTunes app that isn't a PC.

Of course iTunes should be platform agnostic.

Amazon used to write Prime Video apps for other platforms. That policy has clearly changed. The next time a new streaming platform comes out, let's see if Amazon are on board. I suspect the won't be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.