Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I opened the apple tv app on my brand new iphone 11 and did not get any pop up either asking if i wanted to take advantage of the free year of service. i'm wondering if it's because the first week is free and that will only show up next week? or maybe a timezone thing and it will show up later? don't know. apple support sent me a link to this help page. says it's supposed to automatically pop up and ask if you want your free trial.

[automerge]1572621244[/automerge]
actually, this very help page says it should show up today regardless. i am running the latest software.
[automerge]1572621372[/automerge]
ok, i see now there is an ad that shows up on the main page in the app that says apple tv - try it for free. but it will scroll away and show different ads and then come back. anyway, if you click on that it will take you to a screen that gives you the option to redeem the free trial.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'm happy can watch in a browser because I'm not done shopping around for my next Mac laptop yet, and don't want to upgrade my mid-2012 MBP to Catalina because of some apps that don't run on it.

So it's great I could sign up for the freebie week and just watch it in a browser on the laptop. It's usually my preferred way to watch video even though I do have an iPad Pro.

No problems streaming Apple TV+ in a mid-morning break, even though my net connection is via DSL. I really liked the first episode of The Morning Show... and I don't even watch TV news so this is "all news to me" lol... happy camper here so far.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
The 1 year freebie didn’t show up for me, nor was it mentioned anywhere at all in the TV App on my iPhone. But when I tapped on one of the shows, to go into its episode details, Leo and behold, there was the 1 year activation button. Weird, but it worked at least.

Reactions: ukbootlegs

ukbootlegs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2019
United Kingdom
The 1 year freebie didn’t show up for me, nor was it mentioned anywhere at all in the TV App on my iPhone. But when I tapped on one of the shows, to go into its episode details, Leo and behold, there was the 1 year activation button. Weird, but it worked at least.
Not for me. Offered me just a week trial

Reactions: tonyr6

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Yes I inadvertently signed up for the one week trial earlier. It wouldn’t give me the option of one year free either on my iPhone or the web site. I called tech support just now and they couldn’t help. They tried to get a hold of someone in the iTunes team but they were closed. I’ve arranged a call back for tomorrow.

ukbootlegs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2019
United Kingdom
Yes I inadvertently signed up for the one week trial earlier. It wouldn’t give me the option of one year free either on my iPhone or the web site. I called tech support just now and they couldn’t help. They tried to get a hold of someone in the iTunes team but they were closed. I’ve arranged a call back for tomorrow.
Good luck

Reactions: Mr.C

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Last thing I bought Apple wise was the second gen Airpods. Certainly no significant new Apple Tech like a new iPhone, mac or Apple TV since September 10.

But I got the free year anyway. Signed up and good to go for a year.

Lucky you. I've purchased over $2k in Apple products in the last 15 months and apparently can't get this because my MacBook was purchased before 9/10.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I’ve tried accessing the web site with Chrome and Firefox and still only get the option of a one week trial. ?

Go into Apple Support on any of your devices and into your Icon (make sure your Apple ID is correct) in the upper left and then hit "check coverage".

Make sure any of the devices were activated on your account after Sept 10, 2019 and shows coverage to next year after Sept. 10.

Something's wrong if it doesn't show any recently activated devices....

BluefinTuna

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2019
The only thing I’ve purchased since Apple TV+ was announced were Bose headphones from the Apple Store. Somehow I got a year free. Was this the reason or is it due to a glitch?

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
okay will try
[automerge]1572661441[/automerge]
Lucky you. I've purchased over $2k in Apple products in the last 15 months and apparently can't get this because my MacBook was purchased before 9/10.
i bought ipad mini on july . sad also

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
Will have to check my apple TV for free trials, I have purchased an iPad pro 11 and apple tv 4k box this past year, be nice to get a decent trial of this service, 1 week trial is pants, at least give us all 1 month.

Reactions: ukbootlegs

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
According to an e-mail I got from Apple Support there was an issue with the free one year subscription for people who bought stuff between Sep 10 and now. Should be fixed now.

Reactions: Mr.C

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
So so I have an update. I got a call back yesterday from the same tech support person I spoke to on Saturday. On Saturday he had told me he was taking ownership of my case. He said he would get back to me in no more then a week.

Anyway as I said he called me back yesterday and as they could not offer me a normal resolution to allow me to sign up for the one year trial he gave me a redemption code that would get me one year free access to it. This renews on 08/11/2020 so in affect I’ve got the one week free trial followed by a one year free trial. So they were able to resolve it.

Reactions: anubis1980
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.