Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Having seen a character in another role and not being able to erase that character when seeing them in a new role just means that particular character resonated with you in that particular role.

I remember watching the movie Star Trek III: The Search for Spock in which Kirk was facing off against a Klingon foe only to discover that the big bad mean Klingon was being played by Christopher Lloyd. I couldn't erase the image of Jim Ignatowski from my head once he started speaking in English. Up until then, he could have sold me on the role... but the voice was just too distinctive and his characterization on Taxi far too well known to forget.

I do agree that casting a well-known character for a role purely to get viewership backfires more than not. The really good shows tend to have people you've never seen before... as such, you see character and not the actor portraying the character.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
haha! I easily recognized Lloyd in that movie as well, only I kept seeing him as THE hacker from Cyberchase!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.