Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Completely skip it. The only thing that may remain are those little banners „Product promotional“ or what‘s written there.

kpluck

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2018
Sacramento
Hello

Is there interest in having a way to block YouTube video ads using the native YouTube app on Apple TV? This would only require the use of a VPN app, which can be installed on Apple TV after tvOS 17 gets released, so no extra Hardware required.

Greetings
Would it be free? Whose servers would this VPN app be directing my AppleTV traffic through?

-kp

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
If you're a techie and know how to make a RhasberryPie router then you can Adblock at the gateway-level.

That would benefit your whole network.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
If you're a techie and know how to make a RhasberryPie router then you can Adblock at the gateway-level.

That would benefit your whole network.
No, that doesn't block any YouTube video ads

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
So why don’t you just tell us what this VPN is doing on its end to prevent the ads so we can implement the same thing on our local network?
I don‘t understand your question. My VPN doesn‘t block YouTube ads, like the other VPNs do neither.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
I don’t use VPNs (no experience with them) but isn’t that an extra cost? I watch a lot of YouTube on Apple TV, but thats the one service I tolerate ads on, because we’re not talking about premium content here. If no VPN were required, I’d pay under $5 to skip YT ads.

For context, I subscribe to Apple One, Max, Prime, Paramount+, Peacock Premium, Hulu (ad free), and PBS for video streaming so not shy about spending for content on Apple TV.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I don’t use VPNs (no experience with them) but isn’t that an extra cost? I watch a lot of YouTube on Apple TV, but thats the one service I tolerate ads on, because we’re not talking about premium content here. If no VPN were required, I’d pay under $5 to skip YT ads.

For context, I subscribe to Apple One, Max, Prime, Paramount+, Peacock Premium, Hulu (ad free), and PBS for video streaming so not shy about spending for content on Apple TV.
The part about VPN was from a technical point. There would be the need to install an app that acts as a VPN, to block the YouTube traffic. Actually I'd integrate this adblocking technique in my VPN app then. If it works and if I get to have the time to do it.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
If priced correctly, for sure

If that gets too close to actual YT Premium pricing, though, the whole idea becomes pointless

Reactions: pvalerio

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Now you just need to enable "Block video ads" setting to block YouTube ads on Apple TV using SwizzVPN.

Reactions: backstreetboy

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
I get why you would want to block YT ads on a phone because your time is precious. But on a TV set those ads appear as commercials do on any other TV program and help contribute to supporting your favourite channels if they're small and in need of the cash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.