Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

12-ThreeFour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2023
California, United States
So the Vision Pro demos are 30 minutes and you get to learn and experience it, but I wanna be able to do my own thing. Like see and try out other things like the cursor being your wrist (how does that work) and doing tests/finding out things to determine if I wanna buy this (I'll be 16 in August and I'll be able to get a job).

We're any of you able to do your own thing, if you asked?

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
So the Vision Pro demos are 30 minutes and you get to learn and experience it, but I wanna be able to do my own thing. Like see and try out other things like the cursor being your wrist (how does that work) and doing tests/finding out things to determine if I wanna buy this (I'll be 16 in August and I'll be able to get a job).

We're any of you able to do your own thing, if you asked?
I asked and wasn't really allowed to do my own thing, it was pretty guided, and I just tapped on a bunch of stuff and threw the employee off while I opened a bunch of apps for no reason lol.

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Was it just like the guided tour video?
No the have you try different apps such as photos (videos, panoramic photos, spatial videos), safari, a random recipe app. Sizing, and moving windows wherever you'd like them. Then its followed by an Alicia Keys studio video, different Apple TV movies to try 3D, then Immersive content. You also switch levels of immersion with the crown a few times. Its fun to try.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have the exact same question as the OP. I don't need to see any immersive stuff, what I really want to try is copy and paste.

Reactions: ratspg

Ensyed

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
I asked and they wouldn’t let me experiment Which was annoying. I filled out the experience survey and complained about it.

12-ThreeFour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2023
What does “use my wrist as a cursor” mean?
Idk, but it was one of the options along with eyes, head, and finger.
Vision-Pro-Pointer-Control.jpg

12-ThreeFour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2023
Also, maybe in the future, using Vision Pro will be like using any other product and we can have freedom. But people would still need to go through the process of getting the right lenses and straps.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Idk, but it was one of the options along with eyes, head, and finger.
Vision-Pro-Pointer-Control.jpg
Oh it’s an actual feature that’s in there, gotcha. Must be there for people who don’t have fine motor control of their fingers or may be missing them?

I think it defaults to eye tracking because while the movies promised us we’d be waving our hands for computer controls, it’s incredibly bad ergonomically to do so.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

12-ThreeFour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2023
Wait. Wrist is selected but it doesn't look like the wrist is being used. More like index finger (but it's thumb). I think it works by moving your claw-shaped hand. But the line should be coming from the middle of the hand. Or maybe this is a mistake.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Wait. Wrist is selected but it doesn't look like the wrist is being used. More like index finger (but it's thumb). I think it works by moving your claw-shaped hand. But the line should be coming from the middle of the hand. Or maybe this is a mistake.

FYI, this feature is really bad. The update frequency of your wrist or index finger is like sub-30hz. If I had an issue with my eyes and couldn't use the AVP as intended, I'd rather just not own one than have to rely on this feature. I tried all of the options extensively.

12-ThreeFour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2023
FYI, this feature is really bad. The update frequency of your wrist or index finger is like sub-30hz. If I had an issue with my eyes and couldn't use the AVP as intended, I'd rather just not own one than have to rely on this feature. I tried all of the options extensively.
Well, it's the first version of a new software. It didn't even have Contact Key Verification.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I have the exact same question as the OP. I don't need to see any immersive stuff, what I really want to try is copy and paste.

So the problem is, there are some skill sets you need to learn first to go off and explore. It’s a brand new paradigm. And the sales staff are trying to show as much as possible in a very very short time. Cut and paste takes time to train your eyes to not wander and your fingers to be precise, its not hard once you do, but you probably wont get it during a demo.

Reactions: heretiq
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.