Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
And people were calling me moronic by pointing out the FOV “issue”.

Going back to Quest 3 was a huge relief. I could actually see my dog walking around my feet.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I was really surprised during the demo that it didn't feel completely immersive. I could see the entire outer ring of the headset / goggle AND I had light leakage at the nose area and to each side of the nose which the store demo guy told me was normal.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Perhaps given the size of the box and complexity of the packaging they are handling returns differently.
Return labels were just sent via email from Apple.
FedEx is taking the returns.

Also offering in store returns as well.

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 6.39.54 AM.png

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
I’ve never seen people post return labels. Dorks.

If you’re sitting there in the demo thinking it’s immersive from your life, you (and they) have missed the point.

I’m in my garage. I’m looking at an exploded 3D manual of a Porsche engine with a full wall-size mural of manuals. It’s bananas.

Reactions: cardfan and KPOM

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
did your order show the lenses were not able to be returned? i read some folks saw that but apple mentioned it was an error....
Nope. Well, actually the whole order did. I couldn’t generate a return label for lenses or AVP. Had to call to get one for the lenses though the AVP I returned in store.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I’ve never seen people post return labels. Dorks.

If you’re sitting there in the demo thinking it’s immersive from your life, you (and they) have missed the point.

I’m in my garage. I’m looking at an exploded 3D manual of a Porsche engine with a full wall-size mural of manuals. It’s bananas.
Which Porsche engine? Is this for actual automotive maintenance or one of those 3D formula 1 things that is meant to show off the AVP?

Just curious if you had like a 997 and there was an app/site that allowed you to see that engine for maintenance and repair purposes. That would be <insert fruit of choice>.

Reactions: arkitect

WordCotton

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2024
This was honestly a very tough decision. I'm a huge Apple nerd, I have basically every other product (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac Mini, Apple Watch, MacBook Pro, AirPod Pros, AirPod Pro Max, HomePod -- yikes that's a lot when I type it out.)

The Apple Vision Pro is AMAZING. If you haven't experienced it yet, it's more than worth going to get a demo at the Apple Store. Telling you about it doesn't do it justice, you really do need to experience it. It's hard to adequately describe what it is, or what it does, or what it looks like without you actually being IN the headset. I'm a firm believer this technology is coming, and will be incredible as it matures over the next 5-10 years.

I tried just about every function, immersive videos, spatial videos, multi-tasking, flying on an airplane (which is a 10/10 experience btw) and mostly my experience with the Apple Vision Pro was positive- yes there are some quirks, but no show stoppers for me. I found myself thinking about it, and wanting to use it countless times throughout the day and seemingly everyday a new app is released that's worth trying (like Tiktok yesterday).

So - why did I return it? What it really comes down to is, it's isolating. I have a wife and two young children, and I found myself NOT wanting to use it, or wear it when I was around them, because I want to be present in those moments. Yes, the spatial videos are VERY cool, but nothing compares to being present. So what it came down to was, my most likely opportunity to use the AVP would come late evening when the rest of the family was asleep and, at the end of the day, while I can certainly afford the AVP, the math just started to not add up. If I'm spending $3700 (with tax) on something, I'd want to spend hours using a device like that each day, and, as of right now, I just don't have that kind of time - and so for you finance nerds out there, the ROI just didn't add up for me.

My kids were even bummed I returned it, they thought the immersive experiences were some of the coolest things they've ever seen. But I thought to myself, that's a lot of money we will now use to take them on a trip to REALLY experience something more meaningful. I told my daughter, "it's ok, they'll release an updated version in a year or two." To which she replied "well then you'll have to get that one!" And she's right... I will very likely be an avid Apple Vision Pro user one day, just not right now.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
So - why did I return it? What it really comes down to is, it's isolating.

Yep
It's a huge issue for any possible mainstream market penetration of all devices in this category

I'd argue that, other than the way far off in the future AR glasses, anything like current VR/AR HMDs will always be a small niche product category.

There's just no way around how isolating the experience is when physically around other people

There is still a place for this product, but people thinking we are all just going to "live inside these all day" are way off base.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
Yes, the spatial videos are VERY cool...
I watched some spacial videos I took with my iPhone 15 PM on my Quest 2 yesterday and was blown away by just how good the 3D actually was. I was expecting it to look more like faked 3D but I couldn't find a single flaw with it! If you and your kids want to continue to enjoy watching your spacial videos and or just playing in VR in general, I highly recommend buying a Quest 2 or Quest 3. Quest 3 will have the same type of pancake lens and color pass thru like the AVP does.

RufusRyker

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
I watched some spacial videos I took with my iPhone 15 PM on my Quest 2 yesterday and was blown away by just how good the 3D actually was. I was expecting it to look more like faked 3D but I couldn't find a single flaw with it! If you and your kids want to continue to enjoy watching your spacial videos and or just playing in VR in general, I highly recommend buying a Quest 2 or Quest 3. Quest 3 will have the same type of pancake lens and color pass thru like the AVP does.

Spatial video taken on the iPhone 15 pro is not nearly as good as video taken on the AVP. The resolution is lower and the 3D effect is much worse and severely cropped, because the lenses are too close together. The videos are not nearly as immersive.

Reactions: MockT

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
Woof do I feel the indecision. Today's my last day to take it back and I've gone back and forth so many times. I've even had friends tell me "Stop making it such an existential question about the rest of your life, it's not going to make you broke, so if you think you'll have fun with it just keep it. If the shortcomings annoy you too much, take it back and plan to get the next gen."

It really is as simple as that, but it is a lot of money to take lightly... But do I want to wait a couple years? I mean... the thing that's really irking me the most is the fov and the lens glare when watching movies. I wonder if the next generation could even fix those seemingly optical issues made by physics.. haha.

Granted I really think my usage will be not an all-day or even all-evening thing. I truly doubt I'll sit through a whole movie wearing it. I'll definitely watch scenes and fun stuff, but it's just not relaxing in quite the way chilling and watching a movie should be..

The isolating thing truly is an issue which is why I hope they bring some interesting social aspects to it, like letting two people with headsets share the same view, like I could show another person my spatial photos by just sharing it with THEIR headset, or remotely sharing the same Cinama Mode or immersive video.

I don't have your issue because I live alone. But if I did have a wife/kids, yes that might push me to take it back because I don't feel remotely comfortable wearing this in front of other people, even in public. I can't really imagine wearing it on a plane.. seems very antisocial, but maybe that wears off as more people do it.

But what really does fascinate me are the 180 immersive videos Apple put out on Apple+.. that format is pretty incredible to me so I'd see this as more of a maybe a couple times a week thing where I have fun with that and maybe try other things out... my decision is on whether that's worth the money.

Truly I'm torn still, lol.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
Woof do I feel the indecision. Today's my last day to take it back and I've gone back and forth so many times. I've even had friends tell me "Stop making it such an existential question about the rest of your life, it's not going to make you broke, so if you think you'll have fun with it just keep it. If the shortcomings annoy you too much, take it back and plan to get the next gen."

It really is as simple as that, but it is a lot of money to take lightly... But do I want to wait a couple years? I mean... the thing that's really irking me the most is the fov and the lens glare when watching movies. I wonder if the next generation could even fix those seemingly optical issues made by physics.. haha.

Granted I really think my usage will be not an all-day or even all-evening thing. I truly doubt I'll sit through a whole movie wearing it. I'll definitely watch scenes and fun stuff, but it's just not relaxing in quite the way chilling and watching a movie should be..

The isolating thing truly is an issue which is why I hope they bring some interesting social aspects to it, like letting two people with headsets share the same view, like I could show another person my spatial photos by just sharing it with THEIR headset, or remotely sharing the same Cinama Mode or immersive video.

I don't have your issue because I live alone. But if I did have a wife/kids, yes that might push me to take it back because I don't feel remotely comfortable wearing this in front of other people, even in public. I can't really imagine wearing it on a plane.. seems very antisocial, but maybe that wears off as more people do it.

But what really does fascinate me are the 180 immersive videos Apple put out on Apple+.. that format is pretty incredible to me so I'd see this as more of a maybe a couple times a week thing where I have fun with that and maybe try other things out... my decision is on whether that's worth the money.

Truly I'm torn still, lol.
The fact that you are even questioning it tells me you would be better off returning it. If you discover you are missing it and can no longer wait for next model, you can always buy it again.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
@jigzaw

That's enough back and forth on the thinking for me to think you'll wish you'd returned it come a few weeks from now, and certainly further down the line.

You could always buy it again (maybe even a sale or refurb, who knows!?), but you can only get your money back right now.

The fact that you are even questioning it tells me you would be better off returning it. If you discover you are missing it and can no longer wait for next model, you can always buy it again.
Definitely wise advice. I'll decide pretty soon.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
Spatial video taken on the iPhone 15 pro is not nearly as good as video taken on the AVP. The resolution is lower and the 3D effect is much worse and severely cropped, because the lenses are too close together. The videos are not nearly as immersive.
I don't doubt that. But is it worth the price difference? How often do you think someone would pull out their AVP to record a spacial video vs taking their iPhone out of their pocket to do it?

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
I would also return it if I didn't have any other usage other than entertainment. My use case is to use it for work to augment my MacBook Pro and have a big screen setup anywhere in the house (augmented with iPad/AVP apps). It works extremely well for me, and I prefer it to being chained to my desk all day.

The only thing that may cause me to return it is internal lens reflections. Still not sure if it outweighs all positives. The calculus would be different if it wasn't a $3500+ device...

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
It's not like Apple brought Screen Time to the iOS and iPadOS platforms and then extended them to the Mac. We already have too much screen time. Here your argument is that you need to wear it enough to justify the cost. That should not be your approach. You either find value or you don't, but the value shouldn't be measured in screen time.

I will say that the AVP makes me think a Quest 3 might be a great device to get into VR. Because while it isn't Apple, it is a price I would pay and not have any issue that it could sit there for weeks, that I'm not trying to make a value decision because the price point doesn't necessitate it.

Reactions: Ghost31

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
This was honestly a very tough decision. I'm a huge Apple nerd, I have basically every other product (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac Mini, Apple Watch, MacBook Pro, AirPod Pros, AirPod Pro Max, HomePod -- yikes that's a lot when I type it out.)

The Apple Vision Pro is AMAZING. If you haven't experienced it yet, it's more than worth going to get a demo at the Apple Store. Telling you about it doesn't do it justice, you really do need to experience it. It's hard to adequately describe what it is, or what it does, or what it looks like without you actually being IN the headset. I'm a firm believer this technology is coming, and will be incredible as it matures over the next 5-10 years.

I tried just about every function, immersive videos, spatial videos, multi-tasking, flying on an airplane (which is a 10/10 experience btw) and mostly my experience with the Apple Vision Pro was positive- yes there are some quirks, but no show stoppers for me. I found myself thinking about it, and wanting to use it countless times throughout the day and seemingly everyday a new app is released that's worth trying (like Tiktok yesterday).

So - why did I return it? What it really comes down to is, it's isolating. I have a wife and two young children, and I found myself NOT wanting to use it, or wear it when I was around them, because I want to be present in those moments. Yes, the spatial videos are VERY cool, but nothing compares to being present. So what it came down to was, my most likely opportunity to use the AVP would come late evening when the rest of the family was asleep and, at the end of the day, while I can certainly afford the AVP, the math just started to not add up. If I'm spending $3700 (with tax) on something, I'd want to spend hours using a device like that each day, and, as of right now, I just don't have that kind of time - and so for you finance nerds out there, the ROI just didn't add up for me.

My kids were even bummed I returned it, they thought the immersive experiences were some of the coolest things they've ever seen. But I thought to myself, that's a lot of money we will now use to take them on a trip to REALLY experience something more meaningful. I told my daughter, "it's ok, they'll release an updated version in a year or two." To which she replied "well then you'll have to get that one!" And she's right... I will very likely be an avid Apple Vision Pro user one day, just not right now.

Well thought out and stated. Thank you. I can definitely see your perspective as a dad with young children. I wouldn’t want to wear it around my kids when they were young. But for me, for better or for worse, even when my kids were young I spent a LOT of time traveling for work and would have kept the device just for that. Here is a bitter sweet story for ya, when i would go to a new city I would buy them a little statue of the most familiar landmark, Big Ben, the Eiffel Tower, etc. Anyway, first grade and my son has to make a diorama of a collection they had. Kids were doing dinosaurs or baseball cards, my son did a map of Europe with the statues i had given him. The teacher was what the heck? But that was our life for better or worse. Enjoy your time with your children. It does go too fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.