Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adam Henry

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Has anyone been to a public space recently where everyone is buried in their phones? Same thing.
I think there is a difference between staring at your phone or laptop and wearing that phone or laptop on your face. I am not anti-apple, I am entrenched in the apple ecosystem but I just do not see this thing as good for society and you look ridiculous wearing it. Just my opinion, you all do you.

King_Kimbo

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2018
This was honestly a very tough decision. I'm a huge Apple nerd, I have basically every other product (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac Mini, Apple Watch, MacBook Pro, AirPod Pros, AirPod Pro Max, HomePod -- yikes that's a lot when I type it out.)

The Apple Vision Pro is AMAZING. If you haven't experienced it yet, it's more than worth going to get a demo at the Apple Store. Telling you about it doesn't do it justice, you really do need to experience it. It's hard to adequately describe what it is, or what it does, or what it looks like without you actually being IN the headset. I'm a firm believer this technology is coming, and will be incredible as it matures over the next 5-10 years.

I tried just about every function, immersive videos, spatial videos, multi-tasking, flying on an airplane (which is a 10/10 experience btw) and mostly my experience with the Apple Vision Pro was positive- yes there are some quirks, but no show stoppers for me. I found myself thinking about it, and wanting to use it countless times throughout the day and seemingly everyday a new app is released that's worth trying (like Tiktok yesterday).

So - why did I return it? What it really comes down to is, it's isolating. I have a wife and two young children, and I found myself NOT wanting to use it, or wear it when I was around them, because I want to be present in those moments. Yes, the spatial videos are VERY cool, but nothing compares to being present. So what it came down to was, my most likely opportunity to use the AVP would come late evening when the rest of the family was asleep and, at the end of the day, while I can certainly afford the AVP, the math just started to not add up. If I'm spending $3700 (with tax) on something, I'd want to spend hours using a device like that each day, and, as of right now, I just don't have that kind of time - and so for you finance nerds out there, the ROI just didn't add up for me.

My kids were even bummed I returned it, they thought the immersive experiences were some of the coolest things they've ever seen. But I thought to myself, that's a lot of money we will now use to take them on a trip to REALLY experience something more meaningful. I told my daughter, "it's ok, they'll release an updated version in a year or two." To which she replied "well then you'll have to get that one!" And she's right... I will very likely be an avid Apple Vision Pro user one day, just not right now.
Saw a family sitting in a restaurant across from us last night. 2 kids, both adults each completely immersed in their phones. Barely said a word to each other and I doubt even tasted the food. This isolation you speak of has been increasingly absorbing us over the past decade, especially with the ubiquity of social media. The harm that social media coupled with cellphones has done has permanently affected us and greater society negatively and we are still in the midst of it.

This is not to defend AVP, but I have one and currently use it solely for work. Rather, it is to state that the isolation caused by tech and the rupture of the family unit is already very much here and will continue to be. Put an iPad or video on in front of a 3 year old and then try to engage with them. Completely impossible.

As parents are now usually both working and stressed out over various factors, the convenience of YouTube and Netflix etc. for some much needed time out is almost impossible to deny - and who can blame them. Unfortunately, all the research points to massive potential for mental impairment with high amounts of screen time in children.
How anyone can think the AVP is anything other than isolating ina family home is beyond me. There’s a reason why every person using it in the Apple ads (apart from the dad videoing the birthday) is totally on their own.

Leave the AVP at the office.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
i’ve always been against the behavior of recording things that require active attention or participation
My daughters birthday party was 2 weeks ago. It lasted 3 hours. During that time, I used my iPhone 15 to take about 5 minutes worth of spatial video.

Today my wife tried my AVP for the first time. And those short videos I took of our daughter took her breath away.

I don’t say this to defend my taking photos at my daughters bday party; I feel no shame whatsoever about that. But simply to suggest that this oft-repeated criticism is simply unfounded. One can take photos of an event or a person, and still be fully present. To suggest that it’s an either/or choice is not representative of what it is like, in my experience, to be able to do both.

But, if you’re unable to focus on events such that you can’t avert your eyes even for 30 seconds, that sounds specific to you.

I’m so grateful my grandparents and their parents took a few moments in time to take photographs of moments that I only ever can experience by seeing those photos.

WordCotton

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2024
Saw a family sitting in a restaurant across from us last night. 2 kids, both adults each completely immersed in their phones. Barely said a word to each other and I doubt even tasted the food. This isolation you speak of has been increasingly absorbing us over the past decade, especially with the ubiquity of social media. The harm that social media coupled with cellphones has done has permanently affected us and greater society negatively and we are still in the midst of it.

This is not to defend AVP, but I have one and currently use it solely for work. Rather, it is to state that the isolation caused by tech and the rupture of the family unit is already very much here and will continue to be. Put an iPad or video on in front of a 3 year old and then try to engage with them. Completely impossible.

As parents are now usually both working and stressed out over various factors, the convenience of YouTube and Netflix etc. for some much needed time out is almost impossible to deny - and who can blame them. Unfortunately, all the research points to massive potential for mental impairment with high amounts of screen time in children.
How anyone can think the AVP is anything other than isolating ina family home is beyond me. There’s a reason why every person using it in the Apple ads (apart from the dad videoing the birthday) is totally on their own.

Leave the AVP at the office.
Completely agree. My wife and I do our best to NOT allow our kids screen time unless they've done something to "earn" it; like finish their homework or have already exhausted themselves from playing outside.

We also NEVER let our children use phones, iPads at the dinner table. We have a strict no phone policy during meal times whether it's at the house, or out at a restaurant. It pains me to see a family of 4 all buried in a device. I'm not judging, I get it's hard sometimes, but I'd rather play "I Spy" 4,000 times in a row with my kids than just pretend they aren't there and us all be off in our own "la la land."

That's a big reason why I took it back. I love the AVP, my kids really liked the AVP, and I was able to teach my older kid (7) about the fact that it took many years and a lot of incredible talented people to CREATE something like the AVP, and that she should believe that any wild dream or idea can one day become a reality, she even now knows what the difference is between hardware and software!

But yes, the isolation has been creeping on society for a decade plus, just trying to do my small part to push back on that and encourage my kids to never feel like their sense of value comes from a device, or something that happens on a device (i.e. social media).

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
My daughters birthday party was 2 weeks ago. It lasted 3 hours. During that time, I used my iPhone 15 to take about 5 minutes worth of spatial video.

Today my wife tried my AVP for the first time. And those short videos I took of our daughter took her breath away.

I don’t say this to defend my taking photos at my daughters bday party; I feel no shame whatsoever about that. But simply to suggest that this oft-repeated criticism is simply unfounded. One can take photos of an event or a person, and still be fully present. To suggest that it’s an either/or choice is not representative of what it is like, in my experience, to be able to do both.

But, if you’re unable to focus on events such that you can’t avert your eyes even for 30 seconds, that sounds specific to you.

I’m so grateful my grandparents and their parents took a few moments in time to take photographs of moments that I only ever can experience by seeing those photos.

maybe i’m just not a photograph person like you are and it’s not an issue of deep psychoanalysis

you seem to have needs i do not 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: turbineseaplane

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
I basically can’t buy it until they release Logic on it. I can’t know what size VP to get if they don’t reveal their roadmap for it. So I’ll just start with an iPad next month and play the waiting game with Apple on how music production and video editing on Final Cut Pro play into visionOS, if at all… huge miss on their part to not even be outlining their plans for us re: that.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
I basically can’t buy it until they release Logic on it. I can’t know what size VP to get if they don’t reveal their roadmap for it. So I’ll just start with an iPad next month and play the waiting game with Apple on how music production and video editing on Final Cut Pro play into visionOS, if at all… huge miss on their part to not even be outlining their plans for us re: that.
Huge miss? It’s been out for 2 weeks.

Here’s a road map. Logic will be available on Vision Pro relatively soon.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009

maybe i’m just not a photograph person like you are and it’s not an issue of deep psychoanalysis

you seem to have needs i do not 🤷‍♀️
My oldest son turns 20 this year. It is crazy just how fast the time flew by. I am incredibly thankful for all the photos and videos that have been taken of him and our lives. My only regret is not taking more videos and photos.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
sometimes but i imagine the few hundred i’ve taken over the years is quite small compared to most.

and none are of happening events im trying to actively enjoy. they’re mostly my pets or family.

i don’t think im THAT old but i’ve always been against the behavior of recording things that require active attention or participation

Too each their own, my family has always appreciated the family memories I’ve taken for them to the point that became my expected active participation. My grandparents and parents have passed away but on their birthdays I sit with my kids and we look at the photo books I made of them, for them. When I’m gone those books will still be there.

Edit. So the point is this. For years I’d take panoramas on occasion, but wasn’t very satisfied. Well I’ve rediscovered old memories with those AVP and those panoramas. They are amazing! But wait you say, you can’t share. Wrong, last night I screen mirrored and my wife could see what I saw as I looked around. She loved it. And in the years to come as Apple or whoever improves the tech and makes it cheaper.. those panoramas will be waiting. As will the spatial videos I’ve started taking. Future generations of my family will enjoy. That’s why I do it.

Last edited:

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
I really wish I had spatial videos of my grandparents and mom - not only for me, but for my son who didn’t get to meet them.

I’m making sure to take spacial videos when we’re all together with extended family (using the iPhone, I’m a fan of the AVP but not the guy wearing it to film during special occasions 🤣😂😁

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
The strangest thing is Vision Pro made me appreciate the iPad again. I used to have a 12.9 inch iPad Pro but I used it so little I gave it to my dad. He uses it every day. I think I'm gonna pick up the new gen OLED iPad when it comes out instead of AVP. It's a little more practical and it never gave me eye issues. The one thing I wanted on iPad was OLED because it never matched the quality of the iPhone's screen.

Reactions: Ghost31

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
One can take photos of an event or a person, and still be fully present. To suggest that it’s an either/or choice is not representative of what it is like, in my experience, to be able to do both.
Completely agree. My dad was a professional videographer, so he usually acted as the designated photographer at family gatherings. He wasn't a talkative guy, so even if he weren't taking pictures, he wasn't much for taking part in conversations. But he took wonderful pictures, often of candid poses, that today not only bring back memories of those moments, but also of my dad and his talent.

last night I screen mirrored and my wife could see what I saw as I looked around.
Can you screen mirror to an Apple TV? Mac?

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
Please note that a lot of the pushback to the AVP requires the broader societal context

Many of us are against the entire concept of checking out from our surroundings and further burying our lives in a digital helmet.

It already immensely saddens me when I see a family of four out at dinner and mom and dad are on their phones and both kids are on their own iPads ... in public ... out to dinner.. Nobody is talking or engaging or even noticing their surroundings. And we wonder why kids are depressed, stressed, feeling overwhelmed, sometimes suicidal, on and on.

We need way less of this type of device, as humans.

I realize that's beyond the scope of your comment, but I wanted to share it because it informs how many of us feel about these "types" of devices. (no - I'm not some old luddite, not at all)
Or, you know, live and let live?

You know what the one thing is that I can guarantee you the members of that family of four out at dinner don't do? Head for internet forums the next day and moan about how immensely sad the guy on the other table looked when he wasn't minding his own damn business.

Last edited:

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Addendum to my earlier post: The longer I use my AVP and the more fluid I get with navigating the interface, the more enamored I am with it. Still haven’t gotten back to trying it for actual work but I might even try that once again.

I do wish there were more spatial games but it’s early days. For the time being, just being able to watch 3D movies with surround sound anywhere in the house will suffice. And I just stepped out onto the deck with my AVP on to let the dog out and got a sense for the size screen I’ll be able to view outdoors. Too bad it’s single digits these days. I can’t wait for spring. I envision many happy hours out on the deck using my AVP.

As always, YMMV.

MockT

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2024

Don’t sweat it. It will soon be trivial to convert any 2D video into 3D. AI will generate the other eye. There are already tools for this that sort of suck. But it will be a non issue soon. You’re doing yourself a bigger favor by sticking to 4K60.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
I think there is a difference between staring at your phone or laptop and wearing that phone or laptop on your face. I am not anti-apple, I am entrenched in the apple ecosystem but I just do not see this thing as good for society and you look ridiculous wearing it. Just my opinion, you all do you.
Like many posts against devices like the AVP here, these sentiments seem rooted in Conservatism, which is the enemy of progress.

On the flipside of this argument, I posit that this device actually ADDRESSES the "face buried in your phone" tropes.

The passthrough features allows for outside interaction more than anything else, as it utilizes your peripheral vision as well as the fact that your computing exists within your entire field of vision.

You can see people coming and going, and you can retreat when you want to.

I can interact or disconnect as necessary.

kitt9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
I posted in another threa but wanted to share my experience here also. I returned the AVP also in 7-8 days, didn't want to wait the 14d. I never return apple products, big fan. Honestly was so impressed with what AVP demos had to offer, but after 10 mins getting the headset off was such a relief ea time, was a sign that this generation headset is frankly a chore for me to put on. As someone else said in another chat, its made my appreciation of my Ipad pro much more given how easy it is to turn on , use , turn off and still have a reasonably nice screen for movies and content.

I honestly dont mind if the headset stays at $3500, would happily pay it it the thing was just more lighter and more comfortable and easier to grab and throw on without all the pressure on my face.

I have to say the AVP did spark my interest in XR glasses. I was using the AVP most often to watch movies in a "theatre" screen view, so ended up trying the XREAL pro 2 (Which I didn't know existed prior to last week), and I am impressed. Really does give you 70-75% of that AVP theater like experience. And the lack of isolation, easy to throw on, light weight allows me to sit through an entire movie without feeling burdened down. Definitely apprecaite what the XR glasses offer in such a light frame. Easy to travel with also.

I can understand that these XR glasses can in no way provide the same "immersive" experience as AVP, but it really for me is a better entertainment device for my purposes and I would recommend others try also, esp those for whom AVP is only being used to watch movies.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaPhox

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Completely agree. My dad was a professional videographer, so he usually acted as the designated photographer at family gatherings. He wasn't a talkative guy, so even if he weren't taking pictures, he wasn't much for taking part in conversations. But he took wonderful pictures, often of candid poses, that today not only bring back memories of those moments, but also of my dad and his talent.

Can you screen mirror to an Apple TV? Mac?

Yes, you can mirror to an Apple TV, Mac, or any streaming device that supports airplay. With that said, when you start a movie on Apple+ or Disney, it goes dark for both the airplay feed and the person wearing the headset. Apparently this is due to digital media piracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Spring
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.