Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
They're right. You haven't backed up any of your statements stating that it will be impossible to put the tech into a glasses form factor. Because you cannot. Because no one knows the future. No one here is claiming it will be easy, but it won't be impossible.

And bonus! In theory, no laws of physics need to be violated. I actually chuckle a bit whenever people talk about the Vision Pro and then say XYZ "will be impossible!", without perhaps realizing that microOLED panels are so astonishingly precise, it's ALMOST a miracle they can be manufactured (but Sony has been practicing for a while with lower res microOLED panels in their cameras for more than 5 years now).

Yeah. I have backed it up and not just in this thread. The fact that you dislike what the sources I posted had to say isn’t on me.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Let me stop you right there. The Meta Quest 3 is a mixed reality headset as well.
I feel we are getting too caught up in the terminology and trying to classify these devices into neat categories, rather than evaluate what each can do on their own merit.

Let's say I agree with you that both technically count as "mixed reality" headsets, whatever that means. How well does each then fare at a particular task? For example, we have seen people cooking with the Vision Pro headset on, as well as using it in public and even interacting with it in a crowded subway. This is made possible because the sub-12 millisecond passthrough of the vision pro allows users to react to things they see in the camera feed almost as quickly as they are seeing it in real time.

Meanwhile, feedback on the Quest 3's passthrough is that it can get pretty laggy and grainy at times, which may be fine with you are simply using it indoors in a controlled environment, but potentially disastrous if you are attempting to interact with the world around you in public. Apple clearly intends for the vision pro to be reliable enough to be used pretty much anywhere, and it shows in the effort they have made in this aspect, to the point of creating their own custom silicon just for this.

Then there is the ecosystem (like the vision pro automatically connecting to Macs to serve as an external display), and that a cheaper headset invariably means having to compromise in certain areas like passthrough and eye-tracking at a time when the emphasis on them has never been greater.

I feel that Zuckerberg's "Ballmer moment" was when he claimed the vision pro would be too isolating because it didn't involve the metaverse. We now see Facebook adopt a less dismissive tone about how they want to be the android version of the Vision Pro, which I guess is a weird flex, given how android devices tend to have lower revenue per user, as well as lower satisfaction and loyalty rates compared to iOS.

Personally, I have this suspicion that if Meta tries to be the android corollary to the vision pro and fails, they would have inadvertently helped position the Vision Pro alongside the iPad and Apple Watch in terms of not having any genuine, meaningful competition.

Reactions: jmpstar

Steve Jobs Turtleneck

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2024
It really is, I don't know what is more cringe this or any of i Justine's shill videos.

Edit - I didn't read the rest of it, I assumed this was one of those Tim Cooke era sheep. He is right though this product is trash. It is clear they were working on this when Google glass was the hottest talk of the town and are now trying to make back that money they invested in.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Perhaps you could address what I said instead of what you wish I had said. What other $3500 consumer VR headsets are out there? There were other computers priced similarly to the Mac or even more expensive. There were also cheaper ones, but that was never in question, even though it seems like you’d like it to be. Where are the other $3500 headsets today akin to the Compaq Portable back in the day. Of course you didn’t really address what I said because there are no other consumer headsets priced anywhere close to that high. Apple’s pricing on the AVP would be like them launching the Mac at $10k back in 1984 dollars.

Macintosh was priced at the top end of the home consumer market 40 years ago similar to how the VP is today. There are mixed-reality headsets today that can cost many thousands more than the VP today for the business market just as there were more expensive computers than Macintosh for the business market 40 years ago.

There were much cheaper computers for the home consumer market 40 years ago and there are cheaper mixed realty headsets for the home market today.

A main difference is that the starting price of the Macintosh in today's dollars was even less attainable for typical families 40 years ago than the $3,499 VP is today. You can not only get a Vision Pro ($3,499) but also an iMac ($1,299), HP printer ($170), MacBook Air ($999), iPad Air ($599), Apple TV 4K ($129), iPhone SE ($429) and Apple Watch SE ($249) for less than the launch retail price of the Macintosh alone (around $7,500 in today's dollars) in 1984.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Macintosh was priced at the top end of the home consumer market 40 years ago similar to how the VP is today. There are mixed-reality headsets today that can cost many thousands more than the VP today for the business market just as there were more expensive computers than Macintosh for the business market 40 years ago.

There were much cheaper computers for the home consumer market 40 years ago and there are cheaper mixed realty headsets for the home market today.

A main difference is that the starting price of the Macintosh in today's dollars was even less attainable for typical families 40 years ago than the $3,499 VP is today. You can not only get a Vision Pro ($3,499) but also an iMac ($1,299), HP printer ($170), MacBook Air ($999), iPad Air ($599), Apple TV 4K ($129), iPhone SE ($429) and Apple Watch SE ($249) for less than the launch retail price of the Macintosh alone (around $7,500 in today's dollars) in 1984.
Since you didn’t give an answer, I’ll ask you again, where are the $3500 consumer headsets akin to the Compaq Portable? You say the AVP is priced at the top end of the consumer market, rather than well above it. Or are you now saying the AVP is aimed at the business market rather than being a device meant for the consumer market? I could understand that argument, considering the business oriented MS Hololense 2 starts at $3500. You seem to have a habit of not responding the actual post and instead going off on tangents, which happens to be quite telling.

Edit: You know what, instead of going in circles with you in this I’ll just note for clarity that you weren’t able to name any other consumer level mixed reality headsets for around the $3500 price point, making your claim that this is akin to how the Macintosh was priced versus competitors plainly incorrect.

Last edited:

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Since you didn’t give an answer, I’ll ask you again, where are the $3500 consumer headsets akin to the Compaq Portable? You say the AVP is priced at the top end of the consumer market, rather than well above it. Or are you now saying the AVP is aimed at the business market rather than being a device meant for the consumer market? I could understand that argument, considering the business oriented MS Hololense 2 starts at $3500. You seem to have a habit of not responding the actual post and instead going off on tangents, which happens to be quite telling.

Edit: You know what, instead of going in circles with you in this I’ll just note for clarity that you weren’t able to name any other consumer level mixed reality headsets for around the $3500 price point, making your claim that this is akin to how the Macintosh was priced versus competitors plainly incorrect.

As I've stated several times, just as the iPhone and Macintosh were at the top end of the consumer market in their categories when they launched, the VP is as well. Just as there were business computers more expensive than the Macintosh 40 years ago, there are mixed reality headsets that are significantly more expensive than the VP. Just as there were home computers available for significantly less than the Macintosh was, there are mixed reality headsets available for less than the VP. The VP is less than half what the Macintosh starting price was (in today’s dollars) at launch.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
As I've stated several times, just as the iPhone and Macintosh were at the top end of the consumer market in their categories when they launched, the VP is as well. Just as there were business computers more expensive than the Macintosh 40 years ago, there are mixed reality headsets that are significantly more expensive than the VP. Just as there were home computers available for significantly less than the Macintosh was, there are mixed reality headsets available for less than the VP. The VP is less than half what the Macintosh starting price was (in today’s dollars) at launch.
Only if you loosely define "at the top end of the consumer market" so egregiously that it means 3.5x another device at the top end of the market, then sure. 😂

Nobody is buying what you're selling.

ocnitsa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
But there were detractors of cars saying the same stuff you're saying. The benefits of cars are obvious in hindsight.
Y'all missed what I was saying...Someone else quoted me too to logically argue with me that cars are better than horses. Yeah. They are. Lmao. I'm saying that the benefits of Vision Pro will be obvious in hindsight to all the people saying "this is a solution searching for a problem." People said that same thing about all kinds of technology in the past.

Reactions: dannynjoni

Bauer24

macrumors regular
May 18, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Y'all missed what I was saying...Someone else quoted me too to logically argue with me that cars are better than horses. Yeah. They are. Lmao. I'm saying that the benefits of Vision Pro will be obvious in hindsight to all the people saying "this is a solution searching for a problem." People said that same thing about all kinds of technology in the past.
Que?

Based on your reply I think we're in agreement.

Reactions: ocnitsa

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008

The funniest part is seeing all the VC, Real Estate Developer/Twitter Influencers, Software people who follow him replying about how great this is and how much this is the future and nobody sees it yet.

Everyone is so desperate to be "first" to be "right" about something in the future.

It's like a symptom of the social media disease where everyone is just SO SO SO wanting to be ahead of others and "correct" about where "the puck is going" (see! I KNEW IT -- I AM A VISIONARY!)

They all just delete their totally wrong predictions later

Reactions: Mrkevinfinnerty

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
The funniest part is seeing all the VC, Real Estate Developer/Twitter Influencers, Software people who follow him replying about how great this is and how much this is the future and nobody sees it yet.

Everyone is so desperate to be "first" to be "right" about something in the future.

It's like a symptom of the social media disease where everyone is just SO SO SO wanting to be ahead of others and "correct" about where "the puck is going" (see! I KNEW IT -- I AM A VISIONARY!)

Yep.

Case in point. The Casey Neistat 'this is the greatest piece of technology ever in the world' video.

Truth is if this bombs, nobody remembers that they said it, if it takes of they get to remind everyone that they were there on day one !

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Case in point. The Casey Neistat 'this is the greatest piece of technology ever in the world' video.

And honestly, I respect Casey for "doing what he does" and getting super loaded doing it ...

But c'mon - the guy is sort of a clown about it all

He's doing what he knows gets clicks, regardless of what he really might think.

I think with a few beers in him, in private, he'd probably admit it

Can one blame him?
Brotha' gettin' paid!

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
Yep.

Truth is if this bombs, nobody remembers that they said it, if it takes of they get to remind everyone that they were there on day one !

Definitely, thats the nature of Youtube, you have to do that for the views.

Nilay Patel in the Verge has been the best review i've seen so far. He reviewed the device that exists today, not some fantasy of what it might be at some point in the future.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Bauer24

macrumors regular
May 18, 2009
Vancouver, BC

Right, but he's doing the exact same thing.

It's apparently "cool" now to publish "predictions" that are fully at odds with the opinions of people that have used the device for much longer (i.e. MKBHD, etc).

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
I've tried to imagine the utility of such VR headsets beyond pure entertainment, and I can see where folks in the sciences and medicine and manufacturing will (and already have been) exploiting such visualization tech to great advantage. However, as someone with no such needs I do not see where such an interface will offer any personal benefit, though I'll remain open-minded.

My initial reaction was, "Oh great, just another piece of tech enabling folks to help block out their own personal reality even more effectively." To put this more concisely, where the arts and music and entertainment are clearly facets of the human experience, I am also observant of the equal-realities of human self-isolation, narcissism and addiction, and personal perceptions of self-omnipotence, and both personal denial and willful-contempt of one's real-life integration to society and their existant place in the natural world.

Where it is the nature of reality that for every positive charge there is an equal negative charge, and it is how the universe works, I remain nonplussed that such immersive technology, for all its perceived benefits, will be worth the actual balance-sheet of counter-benefits.

There are >5.24 billion more folks walking this planet today than when I was born, a near-tripling and counting, and I'm not seeing any real need for more "entertainment" toys that promote the willful consumption of our planet's resources and is causal to the extinction of our co-inhabitant species. Products and tech that promote human resource-consumption down-sizing are of my key interests...for me, this is not one of those products.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Perhaps we can use this thread to once and for all make your future predictions about the Apple Vision Pro. Just to record it for all time... :)

My prediction: Apple is long-term committed to this project. As many have pointed out, it doesn't really replace anything, so Apple is at the very forefront of Spatial Computing. It's a bit like IBM in the early days of computing.

I think the AVP will sell about 750,000 units this year, assuming that Apple can produce them.
Over the course of the next year, there will be some remarkable apps developed and released for the product. Also, this will get a boost by enterprise endeavors in a way that Apple has rarely seen. Apple will also release some new categories of native apps specifically designed for Vision OS

Vision OS 2.0 will be released about a year from now.

The AVP won't see an upgrade for two years. It will be 10% lighter, but refine and extend features. It will cost 20% less. Used AVP's at that time will sell for about 50% of new cost.

By the third year, Apple will release a significantly smaller version, an SE version, that won't have all the same features as the Pro model. It will sell for around $1500.

By year five, Apple Vision Pro will not be thought of as novel. It will have established uses, and its growth will be about 50% per year.
Those predictions are not off to a great start.

Reactions: Surf Monkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.