Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Vision Pro launches in the U.S. today, with in-store pickups, demo sessions, and deliveries to customers now underway in the country.

Apple-Fifth-Avenue-Vision-Pro-Launch.jpg

Apple's first-ever mixed reality headset offers both augmented and virtual reality features, and it is controlled with a combination of your eyes, hands, and voice. Apple describes the device as a "spatial computer" instead of a headset.

"The era of spatial computing has arrived," said Apple CEO Tim Cook. "Apple Vision Pro is the most advanced consumer electronics device ever created. Its revolutionary and magical user interface will redefine how we connect, create, and explore."

Apple Stores in the U.S. open at 8 a.m. local time today, and they are all offering customers free Vision Pro demos on a first-come, first-served basis through Sunday. It is also possible to reserve a Vision Pro demo online for Monday, February 5 or later.

Article Link: Apple Vision Pro Launches: 'The Era of Spatial Computing Has Arrived'

Last edited:

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
"Apple Vision Pro is the most advanced consumer electronics device ever created. Its revolutionary and magical user interface will redefine how we connect, create, and explore."

I’d be inclined to bet my life savings against Tim’s that it won’t. ;)

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
In case anyone is wondering, you can make a reservation in the Apple Store app by finding your store, scrolling to the middle of the page and select “Reserve a shopping session.”

For the stores near me they were showing times on Monday through Friday next week. I got one for 10am. They appear to ask you vision questions afterwards. For those who have glasses such as myself, they say bring them with you and they will have a pair of the inserts waiting for you.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Perhaps we can use this thread to once and for all make your future predictions about the Apple Vision Pro. Just to record it for all time... :)

My prediction: Apple is long-term committed to this project. As many have pointed out, it doesn't really replace anything, so Apple is at the very forefront of Spatial Computing. It's a bit like IBM in the early days of computing.

I think the AVP will sell about 750,000 units this year, assuming that Apple can produce them. Over the course of the next year, there will be some remarkable apps developed and released for the product. Also, this will get a boost by enterprise endeavors in a way that Apple has rarely seen. Apple will also release some new categories of native apps specifically designed for Vision OS

Vision OS 2.0 will be released about a year from now.

The AVP won't see an upgrade for two years. It will be 10% lighter, but refine and extend features. It will cost 20% less. Used AVP's at that time will sell for about 50% of new cost.

By the third year, Apple will release a significantly smaller version, an SE version, that won't have all the same features as the Pro model. It will sell for around $1500.

By year five, Apple Vision Pro will not be thought of as novel. It will have established uses, and its growth will be about 50% per year.

RammyXX

Suspended
Nov 30, 2012
I just don't see the appeal of the Vision Pro at the moment. "Spatial computing" appears to be a solution in search of a problem. Once they can fit the tech into ordinary glasses I will be interested, but I dread a future in which people seclude themselves even more from the world, as if they don't already spend enough time looking at their smartphone screens.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
I have seen the release of many tech products. Some were good, some were bad, some evolved, some had their time and disappeared, some I bought, some I refused. But the Vision Pro is the first one I’m almost afraid of. I know enough people who can’t put their smartphone down for more than 2 minutes while their sitting in a restaurant talking to me. They constantly look at their phone in an almost shy, embarrassed way. They know it’s not polite, but it’s their addiction. Or think of teenagers barely leaving their rooms, their eyes glued to the digital world, rather chatting with their fake “friends” instead of meeting real ones. Giving them the Vision Pro is like giving heroin to an alcoholic. When I talk to someone, I don’t want to look into some digital replicas of their eyes while they are constantly checking their social media. People refused 3D TVs, so maybe there is hope that the Vision Pro does not become mainstream.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Although I am not going to purchase one today. I am looking forward to seeing the future of this device. Probably going to setup a demo over the weekend.

I'll wait a few weeks until the hype dies down a little. I'm not a fan of crowds and lines.

any significance that this 1st day of consumer availability is Groundhogs Day?

Don't Vision Pro angry.

angry.jpg

DON'T VISION PRO ANGRY!!!!

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
Right now I think this thing is a novelty. This isn’t going to change the way people use computers anytime soon. However, if it can stay in Apple’s pipeline for a few years then it might be a game changer in the next 5-10 years. It definitely needs to be lighter, smaller, and with better battery life before it becomes the device we all dream of having.

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Perhaps we can use this thread to once and for all make your future predictions about the Apple Vision Pro. Just to record it for all time... :)

My prediction: Apple is long-term committed to this project. As many have pointed out, it doesn't really replace anything, so Apple is at the very forefront of Spatial Computing. It's a bit like IBM in the early days of computing.

I think the AVP will sell about 750,000 units this year, assuming that Apple can produce them. Over the course of the next year, there will be some remarkable apps developed and released for the product. Also, this will get a boost by enterprise endeavors in a way that Apple has rarely seen. Apple will also release some new categories of native apps specifically designed for Vision OS

Vision OS 2.0 will be released about a year from now.

The AVP won't see an upgrade for two years. It will be 10% lighter, but refine and extend features. It will cost 20% less. Used AVP's at that time will sell for about 50% of new cost.

By the third year, Apple will release a significantly smaller version, an SE version, that won't have all the same features as the Pro model. It will sell for around $1500.

By year five, Apple Vision Pro will not be thought of as novel. It will have established uses, and its growth will be about 50% per year.
I agree with you. They are committed to this and it’s clear that the implications are huge. I think it’s one of those things that was ready technologically before what you’d do with it was completely thought out. So it will likely pivot.

What I hope is that it’d replace my computer and I don’t think it’s a mass market product (or concept in general) for now. People use computers to type documents on the keyboard and visit web pages. Why wear all this weight to browse Instagram? Or go through a very much subpar typing experience?
I’m excited to see how this product pivots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.