Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McDLT

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
I’m interested in the Vision Pro because I don’t understand the vision for it at all. I am sure that Apple knows their business a lot better than I do, so I am not making some proclamation that it will fail, but I will say that as a person who has been a Mac user since the early 90s, this is the first time Apple has made a product that not only do I have no desire to buy, but also I really hope doesn’t catch on in a way that requires me to interact with it in any way ever. And I say that as a longtime shareholder as well.

rippley5150

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2015
Sterling VA
Is this going to move things more towards to the Minority Report type of wall computer or more towards the Wall-E type of lifestyle? I'd prefer more of The Lawnmower Man or Max headroom environment personally lol

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I will definitely consider getting Vision Pro at Gen 3 or 4 once the price comes down and the battery life is significantly better.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Every time I hear spatial computing I think of the UNIX system's GUI in Jurassic Park (fsn on a Silicon Graphics workstation):

Maybe that's why Apple is including an Encounter Dinosaurs app.

Considering visionOS is essentially UNIX, we're living Jurassic Park now. Hopefully without the dinosaurs eating people though.

Last edited:

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
I have seen the release of many tech products. Some were good, some were bad, some evolved, some had their time and disappeared, some I bought, some I refused. But the Vision Pro is the first one I’m almost afraid of. I know enough people who can’t put their smartphone down for more than 2 minutes while their sitting in a restaurant talking to me. They constantly look at their phone in an almost shy, embarrassed way. They know it’s not polite, but it’s their addiction. Or think of teenagers barely leaving their rooms, their eyes glued to the digital world, rather chatting with their fake “friends” instead of meeting real ones. Giving them the Vision Pro is like giving heroin to an alcoholic. When I talk to someone, I don’t want to look into some digital replicas of their eyes while they are constantly checking their social media. People refused 3D TVs, so maybe there is hope that the Vision Pro does not become mainstream.
bro this is an impressive level of fearmongering for one comment lmao, good job completely missing the mark on how the Internet can actually sometimes provide a safer space for marginalized youth than their real-life environment can (i.e. the way I personally made it through the first half of adolescence as a queer person)—also, if your friends are checking their phone while at the dinner table with you, tell them to put it the hell away? if they can’t give you the basic respect of that, find better friends…*shrug*

also, why are you acting like this gigantic headset, which people have consistently mentioned the weight of in reviews, is gonna be something people get glued to? 😂 nobody uses these kinds of devices for more than a few hours at a time. it literally just comes down to eye strain (see Nilay Patel’s [I believe it was his, someone correct me if I’m wrong] review of AVP). maybe once these have more of a footprint of ski goggles in terms of weight I’ll lend some credence to the idea, but until then…

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
bro this is an impressive level of fearmongering for one comment lmao, good job completely missing the mark on how the Internet can actually sometimes provide a safer space for marginalized youth than their real-life environment can (i.e. the way I personally made it through the first half of adolescence as a queer person)—also, if your friends are checking their phone while at the dinner table with you, tell them to put it the hell away? if they can’t give you the basic respect of that, find better friends…*shrug*

also, why are you acting like this gigantic headset, which people have consistently mentioned the weight of in reviews, is gonna be something people get glued to? 😂 nobody uses these kinds of devices for more than a few hours at a time. it literally just comes down to eye strain (see Nilay Patel’s [I believe it was his, someone correct me if I’m wrong] review of AVP). maybe once these have more of a footprint of ski goggles in terms of weight I’ll lend some credence to the idea, but until then…

Why do you feel the need to ridicule the thoughts I expressed? For someone who claims to have had a marginalized youth and wants safe spaces you're certainly not providing one. I think I raised some valid arguments.

So, you don't think this gigantic headset will shrink over the years? Almost everyone else in this thread thinks it will. If this thing gets mainstream once it's small and cheap enough we're on route to Wall-e/Idiocracy lifestyle. And that's not a positive development in my opinion. If I look at the past 15 years I don't think smartphones and social media have made the world a better place in general. Of course they also have postive aspects, but in my opinion the negative ones outweight the positive ones by far.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
It's cool and all but it's pushing almost $4000 with tax, over if you add in Apple Care.
Little too pricey for me because the only thing I'd really use it for at the moment would be watching movies and I already have a nice tv.

It would be nice if it could hook up to a PC for using with Microsoft Flight Sim or Racing Sim.

If the can get it where it pair up with some stationary bike or treadmill I guess like Peloton so that you can bike/run in certain locations and the bike resistance goes up or down depending on if you're going up hill

Make a SE model and get rid of the front glass and knock it down to $1999 I would be a lot more tempted.

Reactions: Weasel13

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
It's cool and all but it's pushing almost $4000 with tax, over if you add in Apple Care.
Little too pricey for me because the only thing I'd really use it for at the moment would be watching movies and I already have a nice tv.

It would be nice if it could hook up to a PC for using with Microsoft Flight Sim or Racing Sim.

If the can get it where it pair up with some stationary bike or treadmill I guess like Peloton so that you can bike/run in certain locations and the bike resistance goes up or down depending on if you're going up hill

Make a SE model and get rid of the front glass and knock it down to $1999 I would be a lot more tempted.
That's the price that Apple is going to have to hit with some version of this if they want this to be the next big thing for the masses. Maybe $2499. It's not happening at $3499.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Why do you feel the need to ridicule the thoughts I expressed? For someone who claims to have had a marginalized youth and wants safe spaces you're certainly not providing one. I think I raised some valid arguments.

So, you don't think this gigantic headset will shrink over the years? Almost everyone else in this thread thinks it will. If this thing gets mainstream once it's small and cheap enough we're on route to Wall-e/Idiocracy lifestyle. And that's not a positive development in my opinion. If I look at the past 15 years I don't think smartphones and social media have made the world a better place in general. Of course they also have postive aspects, but in my opinion the negative ones outweight the positive ones by far.
lol, do me a favor and don’t strawman what I was saying about youth having safe spaces online. this is MR, not Tumblr. we’re all adults here and I’m pretty sure you can handle me poking fun at the aforementioned fearmongering.

yeah, I’m sure that this thing will shrink the same way everyone else is—doesn’t change my point about eye strain (or motion sickness, or any of the other problems that Apple just released a support document on what to do if you experience such). this isn’t a device that can just be held in your hand and looked at for hours at a time. and if I get proven wrong in five years, and there are reports of people becoming more isolated than ever due to using AVP for hours at a time, to hell with all my commentary here and kudos to your wisdom (genuinely, that could come off nasty thanks to text tone but it’s not meant to be)—I can take an L when I need to. 🤷‍♂️

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
That's the price that Apple is going to have to hit with some version of this if they want this to be the next big thing for the masses. Maybe $2499. It's not happening at $3499.
Yeah for $2000 I could probably talk myself into it may be even at $2500 but where it sits now. I'll have to see some real world avg consumer use case besides watching movies. I know it can pair with Macs as a screen but I wouldn't want to sit around with that on my head for any real length of time unless you're in a chair that supports the back of the head.

I can see professionals maybe using them for training. Like learning surgery or working/building things engines that you'd be taking apart and putting back together.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR

Seems to me that the price is the least of the problems. If it was truly a great, revolutionary product with obvious benefits and appeal the price wouldn’t be an object at all.

Reactions: klasma

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Seems to me that the price is the least of the problems. If it was truly a great, revolutionary product with obvious benefits and appeal the price wouldn’t be an object at all.
I'm not too pessimistic on what the this segment may become, but I do have to wonder if this version of it really follows Job's philosophy of starting with the customer experience and working backwards to the technology. This seems closer to starting with the technology and then figuring out how you're going to sell it. Just one indication of this, if the current killer use cases for it are so few as to warrant someone taking a call while packing a suitcase to be featured in the very first ad for the product, then I'm not sure if the utility is all it's cracked up to be by some.

Reactions: Syk and klasma

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
I just got back from demoing the AVP at my local apple store. The demo was very scripted and limited. I was amazed at the audio and video quality. Best I've experienced so far. Disappointed the demo did not include a sample facetime call, connecting to a mac, typing on the virtual keyboard, browsing to anything other than the safari homepage (maybe they would have let me, but I didn't ask). Also disappointed the screen size was capped at less than 100% of the fov when watching a short clip of a movie. However, I am sold. Will definitely be buying one as soon as I have the $. Still need to figure out how to watch stuff I've shot with my 360° camera on it. Right now it appears all VR / 3D video and stills have to be shot on an iphone 15 pro and the device itself. Hoping Insta360 comes out with a viewing app or some other solution becomes available. The few 3D clips of a soccer match, baseball game, and other things I saw are absolutely worth the price of admission, imo.

I think a ton of people would run out and buy one immediately if apple was broadcasting the Super Bowl in 3D and people knew beforehand the immersive and realistic experience it provided.

Last edited:

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
How many airplanes do you own? What about DNA sequencers? MRI machines? Houses? Tesla Roadster (which was one of the main cars that set off the growth in EVs)?

Price is always an object. Things can be great, revolutionary, and with obvious benefits and appeal but are priced out of reach of most people. Things can be great, revolutionary, and with obvious benefits and appeal and be really inexpensive, like a water filtration device.

The Apple Vision Pro is priced out of reach of most people in the world. That doesn't make it somehow not great or revolutionary. I'm not saying it is, but it will not gain mass adoption at current prices. Apple could sell millions of AVPs, but that's still a small percent of the world's population. Even so, it can still be revolutionary. It can take years to see how something is revolutionary.

Reactions: Syk

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States

Pricing will come down as it is not too unusual for Apple to eventually lower the entry price of new products (product lines). A couple of examples include "iconic" Apple products like the original Macintosh which was reduced in price in less than eight months (retailers had been discounting them before that too) and the original iPhone which was even more quickly reduced (and ticked off early adopters!) in less than three months. Various new "non-Pro" versions will also be introduced at some point. We're in the early stages of this market right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.