Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting with the iOS 17.1 beta released this week, iPhone users in the U.K. can add debit and credit cards from select banks in the country to the Wallet app and view their available balances and latest transactions for those accounts.

uk-bank-account-apple-wallet-2.jpg

Apple calls this feature Connected Cards, and it's currently available in the U.K. only, but there is now evidence to suggest it will expand to the U.S. in the future.

As discovered by software researcher Aaron (@aaronp613), the following fine print is shown in the Wallet app when setting up the feature in the U.K.:
You permit Apple (Apple Payments Services Ltd (UK) or Apple Processing LLC (US)) to consolidate your account information and provide it to you. We do not store or share this information.
Based on this fine print, MacRumors discovered a legal document on Apple's website explicitly mentioning that the Connected Cards feature will eventually be available to U.S. residents, with personal data to be processed by Apple Processing LLC:
If you are in the United States, Connected Cards is provided by Apple Processing LLC; if you are in the United Kingdom, Connected Cards is provided by Apple Payment Services Ltd (together, "Apple").
It's unclear when Connected Cards will launch in the U.S., or which banks will participate in the country. In the U.K., the feature relies on the country's open banking framework, but it's unclear how it would work stateside. Earlier this year, the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau said it expected to finalize an open banking rule in 2024.

Article Link: Apple Wallet's New Bank Account Feature Likely to Expand to U.S.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Starting with the iOS 17.1 beta released this week, iPhone users in the U.K. can add debit and credit cards from select banks in the country to the Wallet app and view their available balances and latest transactions for those accounts.

Apple calls this feature Connected Cards, and it's currently available in the U.K. only, but there is now evidence to suggest it will expand to the U.S. in the future.
If you have a USB-C cable plugged in it won't be able to show you the available balance or latest transactions though. :p

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I would like to see the Wallet app show net worth in the app. Would discourage frivolous spending on the card and make debt front and center. Apple says they want the card to be no fees, and to their credit they make it more clear than any other card what you'll be charged and make it easy to pay. This would be a good thing.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

uk-bank-account-apple-wallet-2.jpg

As discovered by software researcher Aaron (@aaronp613), the following fine print is shown in the Wallet app when setting up the feature in the U.K.:Based on this fine print, MacRumors discovered a legal document on Apple's website explicitly mentioning that the Connected Cards feature will eventually be available to U.S. residents, with personal data to be processed by Apple Processing LLC:It's unclear when Connected Cards will launch in the U.S., or which banks will participate in the country. In the U.K., the feature relies on the country's open banking framework, but it's unclear how it would work stateside. Earlier this year, the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau said it expected to finalize an open banking rule in 2024.

Article Link: Apple Wallet's New Bank Account Feature Likely to Expand to U.S.
That is what you get when there is government policy supporting such initiatives. This is likely just utilizing the Open Banking initiative to enable competition in the marketplace. https://www.openbanking.org.uk/

Funnily enough, as an anecdote, whilst working for a US bank out there a few years ago which refused to support Apple Pay ;), a real open market like that has been running for many years very successfully in Russia, has allowed a beer brewer with good app developers to really enter the banking space.

Anyway, great to see Apple displaying this kind of awareness, I hope other jurisdictions in the world will have similar government bodies to make this possible. Australia and Asia are also taking a regulatory approach, so they'll be next. The US is taking a market led approach and looking at the fragmentation in the banking market as it is there currently, I wouldn't be holding my breath and expect this anytime soon.

Last edited:

ramanjassal98

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2014
London
Finally, UK customers get something first for once.

It’s probably happened before but I just thought I’d mention it on their behalf.
I think this is the second time ever the UK has had something before the US. The first being the 12 Days of Christmas App with free gifts (the US had it in it’s last year), anyone remember that? Major throwback haha

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015
Most likely an iOS 18 feature by the time its approved state wide. My fear is, with the iPhone storing so much financial data, its gonna incentivize hackers and even brazen physical theft of iPhones even more. Hopefully Apple is thinking about this deeply.
Hackers would be more likely to hack a device so they can read off some balances? That’s about the least important information a hacker could use. Also,
You permit Apple (Apple Payments Services Ltd (UK) or Apple Processing LLC (US)) to consolidate your account information and provide it to you. We do not store or share this information.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Well, this should be fairly easy to implement across EU with the PSD2 law in place, which means all banks needs to allow for a 3rd party to be able to access account (with account owners approval). Despite the UK leaving the EU, I’m fairly sure they had PSD2 in place and it’s probably how Apple has implemented this.

The main headache will be authentication as that’ll be very different between countries.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Well, this should be fairly easy to implement across EU with the PSD2 law in place, which means all banks needs to allow for a 3rd party to be able to access account (with account owners approval). Despite the UK leaving the EU, I’m fairly sure they had PSD2 in place and it’s probably how Apple has implemented this.

The main headache will be authentication as that’ll be very different between countries.
Yup, as I linked to above. It just the open banking initiatives that are running in many data jurisdictions except for the USA as they take a market opposed to regulatory approach.

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
Finally, UK customers get something first for once.

It’s probably happened before but I just thought I’d mention it on their behalf.
In fairness, we've always had way better availability of stuff like apple pay in the UK than in the US. I remember seeing announcements that certain places in the US would start accepting apple pay when basically 99% of places in the UK had accepted it for like years by that point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.