Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hillshock

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2015
Anyone wear their SS Apple Watch for a day at the beach? Just wondering how it holds up to sand, sunscreen, etc.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I wore mine to the beach three days this past weekend and had no issues...but I wasn't rolling around in the sand or in the ocean. I wear sunscreen most days so I wasn't worried about that either.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Why the hell would you wear an apple watch, or any watch to the beach?

So you know what the time is I'd guess.

Or do you use the position of the sun and tide level with a complex formula to work it out?

Or are you saying the Apple watch is no good for such use, and you should buy a second watch if you go near a beach?

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
I haven't been to the beach yet with it, but was outside over the weekend camping and took it off before I sprayed sunscreen on my arms, and then put it back on, as I didn't want to spray the sunscreen on it. I did wash it when I took it off my wrist at the end of the day.

I'm thinking I won't be wearing it when at the beach, I got a nice little case to store it in when I'm not wearing it, that I can keep in my bag or in the glovebox in my car.

Javabird

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
Sand - screen - stainless steel = hell no!

I've worn my old Victorinex SS watch to the beach plenty of times without problems, so I guess I don't understand why the SS on the Apple watch would be any different. Or would the aluminum be less susceptible to corrosion than SS? I'm not being snarky, I'd really like to know as I'll be going on a trip to the beach soon.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Sand can scratch the IonX screen big time. Just one grain can do damage. Trust me. I had sand in my pocket with my iPhone 5s and sand tore it up.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Why the hell would you wear an apple watch, or any watch to the beach?

So you know what the time is I'd guess.

For me the main reason would be to use the activity tracking functions of the Apple watch. I would be very sad if I lost my ongoing Move completion streak because I left the watch home for a day at the beach. Sure, you can also use it to tell time, but the screen isn't very visible under direct sunlight, so if you want a watch only to tell time, a cheapo watch with more visible screen would work way better.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Sand - screen - stainless steel = hell no!

What material do you think high end dive watches are made of?

I agree due to the screen...I probably wouldn't risk it, but I would certainly feel comfortable wearing to and from the beach or even having it on if I wasn't actually swimming or "rolling around in the sand."

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
ask yourself "Did I ever wear anonther $400+ watch to the beach prior to 24April15?"
Go with that answer.

I just wore mine to sand volleyball yesterday. Took a couple of dives into the sand. Watch seems to be in perfect condition.

Unlike some of the people on this forum, I don't expect or plan to keep my watch in pristine condition. I'm not going to handle it with kid gloves. I'm going to use it for hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, skiing, going to the beach, running, walking in the rain (heck I even showered in it)...

If I have a watch I want to use it. Plus I want it to record all my movements. Any dents/scratches will only show character

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Well I wore a $350 watch often - does that count?
Absolutely.

you know the risks and have tested the situation.

My snide remark was really aimed towards thinking one must be connected 24 x 7.

One of my favorite features on my phone is "do not disturb"

I like "MY" time.

If I am expecting a text while I am on the beach, the phone in the zip lock bag will be near by.

----------

For the last four years I have worn an $7k Rolex when at the beach. Everyone on here makes it sound taboo to wear a watch at the beach.

It's a judgment call. Personally I think you're whacked :D however Rolex has been around for sometime and they seem to be more forth coming than Apple when it comes to performance and what the device can withstand.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Rolexs (what is the plural for a Rolex) are properly waterproof, Apple watches are water resistant (at least officially). I'm sure sitting on a beach will be fine, and excursion into the water maybe less so. (Having said that I read a review on dcrainmaker.com that might suggest Apple is very conservative with its waterproofness ratings). Apologies if waterproofness isn't actually a proper word....

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
It's a judgment call. Personally I think you're whacked :D however Rolex has been around for sometime and they seem to be more forth coming than Apple when it comes to performance and what the device can withstand.

Is this a joke? Most mechanical watches, Rolex, Panerai, for example started as diving watches. They're made specifically FOR the water. What does cost have to do with anything? How do I know what time it is when I'm swimming in the ocean with my kids all day?

The better question is who DOESN'T wear a watch at the beach.

anez

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
My snide remark was really aimed towards thinking one must be connected 24 x 7.

One of my favorite features on my phone is "do not disturb"

I like "MY" time.

That is entirely your prerogative, and there's nothing wrong with that.

However, others do enjoy being connected constantly.

There's nothing wrong with that, either.

I would never have worn my high-end watches to the beach before this, as a cheaper watch would do the job just as well. However, there is no comparable cheaper alternative for the Apple Watch. A Rolex might cost a thousand times more than a Timex, but a Pebble is only half the price of the Apple Watch, so it's not really the same.

I'll be wearing my Watch all summer, but if I were going to a sandy, watery environment, I'd probably get one of those behemoth, hulkbuster-looking cases for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.