Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Is this a joke? Most mechanical watches, Rolex, Panerai, for example started as diving watches. They're made specifically FOR the water. What does cost have to do with anything? How do I know what time it is when I'm swimming in the ocean with my kids all day?

The better question is who DOESN'T wear a watch at the beach.

I don't wear a watch at the beach. What for?
We use the old sundial, tide flow or out of alcohol method.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
This is what the Pebble watch is for ;)

Gee, thanks! Now I have this Paul Weller song stuck in my head.

"Like pebbles on a beach
Kicked around, displaced by feet
Oh, like broken stones
They're all trying to get home"

On second thoughts, it's a good song :)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Sand can scratch the IonX screen big time. Just one grain can do damage. Trust me. I had sand in my pocket with my iPhone 5s and sand tore it up.

Sand is mostly quartz. Quartz (7) is harder than glass (~ 5.5) on the Moh's hardness scale. Sapphire is 9, so it should hold up better against scratching from sand. But if you go into the water, I have no idea how salt and calcite dissolved in that water will affect everything. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be the first one to try that out.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Why the hell would you wear an apple watch, or any watch to the beach?

Don't have my apple watch yet, but I do take my G-Shock to the beach every time we go. Why do you think they make watches that resistant up to 20-bar and such?

If one were tanning, I could understand, but if going for a swim and such. I think it's quite normal.

Slowpc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2013
Winston Salem NC
My pebble series devices always went to the beach and even swimming , just always rinsed them with clean water after getting out and back on land. Just weird getting messages while floating in the ocean.

My Apple watch will not be getting the salt water treatment tho...

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
maybe i am just lazy but when i randomly decide to go to the beach or sth i am not gonna walk all the way home first just to leave my watch behind ^^

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Mine will stay in the same aquapac we put the car keys & various phones in (I've got a smaller aquapac for my iPhone given I used it as my my OS map when training for a long walk a couple of years ago). Just been to the pool this afternoon and left it in the locker. Used my vivoactive happily for the hour, and even measured the lengths I did with the swim activity :)

latsyrhc

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Chicago, IL
wore mine in port aransas, tx not too long ago on an impromptu trip to the beach. didn't have anywhere safe to put it while i went in the water, so i just kept it on. i didn't SUBMERGE it in the ocean (i was afraid to tbh) but did put my hands in the water. by the end of the beach trip, i noticed there was sand/salt stuck in the digital crown - it was difficult to turn and nothing happened when i pushed down. but after a few jiggles, the sand/salt seemed to all fall out and my watch works fine now. still, in the future, i'd feel better if i took it off.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I wore my $1,000 Movado all the time on the beach. I would take it off and throw it in the beach bag when jumping in the ocean though. Lol

the only time I wear a watch is when I fly.

The airport is based on time yet there's not a clock to be found

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'd probably wear a case on my watch if I wore it to the beach. I'm not sure if they make waterproof cases yet, but I'd be worried about the saltwater deposits in certain areas, especially around the digital crown. I'm going to pick up some kind of case or bumper for mine for when I'm working in the yard. I work in the yard a lot because I'm redoing our backyard and want that activity to count towards my fitness goals.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
My Apple watch will not be getting the salt water treatment tho...
Not sure why. I'm sure the case materials will hold up fine to limited exposure to salt water, especially if you rinse it off (as Apple has instructed to do to remedy the sticky crown problem). I don't see why Apple's materials would be any less resilient than other watches of similar construction. A sweaty workout might put as much salt on the watch as dipping it in the ocean, since the human body and the ocean have a similar salinity ratio. Knowing what we know about the watches durability with respect to water, I'd happily rinse my watch off after a heavy workout, or a dip in the ocean, without reservation.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
'm not sure if they make waterproof cases yet, but I'd be worried about the saltwater deposits in certain areas, especially around the digital crown.
Again I doubt saltwater deposits would be any worse than with any other watch intended for deep sea diving, even around the crowns.

I will be on the lookout for a waterproof case because I'd like to be able to take it surfing and leave my phone at home. But there are a few obstacles to making a waterproof case, based on waterproof cases I've had for my iPhone:

1) it would need it's own watch band, as I doubt there's a way to waterproof it 100% with the Apple bands, which is fine, because I'd like to have a more secure band anyway for water activities.
2) It would be hard to allow the sensors to function on the bottom of the watch, but maybe not impossible.
3) It would be hard for the digital crown to operate, at least for scrolling and zooming, but it should be able to be depressed.
4) Force touch might not work.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Why the hell would you wear an apple watch, or any watch to the beach?

I need to know what time it is to know when I need to come back in from surfing, also have to go back to the car to check for missed calls. Can't wait for a legit waterproof cellular smartwatch

^like said above, I would love to just be able to leave my phone at home

BradDylan

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
ask yourself "Did I ever wear anonther $400+ watch to the beach prior to 24April15?"
Go with that answer.

A lot of people didn't wear a $400+ watch anywhere prior to 24April15. So I'm not sure why that by itself is a reason.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
A lot of people didn't wear a $400+ watch anywhere prior to 24April15. So I'm not sure why that by itself is a reason.

Good point.

I know I am looking at it from a my time to escape poiint and minimalistic approach.

Cooler with wheels
foldable chair in a bag strapped to the cooler
2 towels wrapped on the legs of the chair fits in the chair bag
sunscreen (ziplock bagged and in the cooler)
and the clothes on my back.
sometimes the phone which is in a plastic bag of some kind.

two 6-9 inch sticks. one for time the other to mark high tide. (sundial)

Hillshock

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2015
Anyone wear their SS Apple Watch for a day at the beach? Just wondering how it holds up to sand, sunscreen, etc.

Thanks to you all for responding. After reading all the comments, I am going to buy a waterproof pouch for my Apple Watch and another for my iPhone 6. I want to have the watch with me to record my walks, so having a waterproof pouch to put it in when I'm tanning or swimming makes the most sense.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I wore my space black watch to the beach today. I changed out my link band for a sport band so sand wouldn't get caught between the links though.

I didn't go in the water but just walked along the beach.

Looks perfectly fine to me!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Again I doubt saltwater deposits would be any worse than with any other watch intended for deep sea diving, even around the crowns.

I will be on the lookout for a waterproof case because I'd like to be able to take it surfing and leave my phone at home. But there are a few obstacles to making a waterproof case, based on waterproof cases I've had for my iPhone:

1) it would need it's own watch band, as I doubt there's a way to waterproof it 100% with the Apple bands, which is fine, because I'd like to have a more secure band anyway for water activities.
2) It would be hard to allow the sensors to function on the bottom of the watch, but maybe not impossible.
3) It would be hard for the digital crown to operate, at least for scrolling and zooming, but it should be able to be depressed.
4) Force touch might not work.

Yeah I'd really like to get a watch case where I can just easily pop the watch in for when I'm working outside. Would eliminate an extra step of putting on and taking off sport bands. I could just pop it out, slide my ML on and go.

I think they could put a rubber gasket around the ceramic disc on the back. Force Touch should work ok, turning the crown would take some engineering—but I think most tasks for that can be done with swiping too? It's just to get your finger out of the way right? My watch is still coming so I'm not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.