Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Are there any tips to removing a watch band that is stuck in the watch? I used an amazon leather band for a while and wanted to switch it out. The problem is, it won't budge on the top half of the watch and now the watch is useless. Is there anything I can do?

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Hmm, so the title really should be "3rd-party watch band stuck in Apple Watch"?

Can you tell if the material of the band is jammed in the slot, or if the latching mechanism in the band is failing to release?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Are there any tips to removing a watch band that is stuck in the watch? I used an amazon leather band for a while and wanted to switch it out. The problem is, it won't budge on the top half of the watch and now the watch is useless. Is there anything I can do?

The Watch isn't useless per Se. This can happen with third party bands with lugs that are not seated properly.

Try holding down the band release Switch and gently wiggle the band from side to side and up and down (To loosen as much as possible), all while sliding it in both directions to see if it will give way in either direction.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Unfortunately I've done that to the point where the band unattached itself from the part that's connected to the watch.

It budged at bit but now it's sticking out awkwardly. I guess I can take it to the Apple Store but I doubt apple will do anything since it's a third party band

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Hmm, so the title really should be "3rd-party watch band stuck in Apple Watch"?

Can you tell if the material of the band is jammed in the slot, or if the latching mechanism in the band is failing to release?

It's jammed in the slot. I was able to move it slightly but now a third of it is sticking out of the side and I cannot move it any further

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
It's jammed in the slot. I was able to move it slightly but now a third of it is sticking out of the side and I cannot move it any further

Can you use a thin screw driver and just hammer it out (carefully)??

Take a picture of it too so that we all can be on the same page!

Reactions: Arran

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
This is what we're looking at now. I can't get anything to budge. I've thought about using a hammer but am afraid I'll just hit the watch

8e52b3ca54cf4e02879a6a51d0004515.jpg

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
STUPID question...have you tried pushing it back IN and then get it out via normal way? Or is it frozen there either way you push it?

Otherwise, use a screw driver...a small one...and then using palm of hand to hit back of screw driver to push the lug out.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
What will Apple Store do?? It is not like they can disassemble that part only and take the lug out. That lug is surrounded by solid stainless steel.

Reactions: Arran

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Stop harping on the 3rd party watch bands. We all know that Apple items can fail too...right? I have saved enough money buying third party bands that I could buy a new watch if my bands ever fail me. That said, I have been lucky so far.

OP, I hope you get it out without any further issue!!!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Honestly, I would plead with Apple to help me if I were you. I too would be afraid to use either a hammer or screwdriver.

I don't believe Apple will assist in a situation like this, being it's a third-party band and not OEM. Also, they could take the risk of damaging the watch, which would open up liability to them if they cannot successfully remove the seized lug. However, The OP could certainly ask Apple and see what they determine.

I think the OP is limited in options, more so, either they can pound out the lug as gently as possible or use needle nose plyers attached to one end and see if it can be wiggled out. Those are the only two options I can think of at this point, that is if the OP is comfortable in doing so on their own cognizance. But it's Certainly a risky and unfortunate situation.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
A little oil or dish soap might help...or try to slide a very thin piece of plastic, like the stuff that covers the Watch when you first open it in between as it might depress the part that causing it to stick (like popping a door lock with a credit card - we've all locked our keys inside at one time right?). Good luck.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
A little oil or dish soap might help...or try to slide a very thin piece of plastic, like the stuff that covers the Watch when you first open it in between as it might depress the part that causing it to stick (like popping a door lock with a credit card - we've all locked our keys inside at one time right?). Good luck.

This... A little soap and work it back and forth if possible to try and free it up. It went on, so it should come off.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Any luck yet OP?

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Trying to figure out how the button you push in isn't able to push out the lug connector's nub far enough to let the lug slip out.

Skip down to 2.2 (particularly Fig 2-1) here:
https://developer.apple.com/watch/bands/Band-Design-Guidelines-for-Apple-Watch.pdf
Nice diagram.

This has happened to me too. Fake link band off Amazon: Looked ok but construction was trash. The lug's latch aparrently fell apart while inside the watch and the little pieces jammed up the sliding mechanism. I freed it by wiggling back and forth while randomly pressing the release button on the body of the watch. I was lucky.

To explain: The latch in the lug (part # 4 in your diagram) is made up of a number of tiny parts. At least three, possibly more: (1) The rubber bit on the top of the band, (2) the hollow metal latch on the bottom of the band and (3) a microscopic spring that sits inside the hollow latch piece and pushes it away from the upper rubber piece. There may be more parts, but it was too small for me to see clearly.

OP: If you still can't free it by wiggling with soap (or maybe some wd40??) you could always try a metal cutting wheel in a dremel. It will need a really steady hand, but you may be able to cut a longitudinal slot in the middle of the lug and slice through the jammed up latch mechanism parts in the middle? That's really a last resort, of course. Like if you're over it and ready to throw the watch in the trash.

Reactions: Romanojan

JSway

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Hmmm, might take two people. One person to hold and press the button under the watch, and the other to try to wiggle it with you their hands or a tool.

Or, put dental tooth floss in the little hole in the adapter, and try pulling that way, while holding the button :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Any update if the band was able to removed? Curious to know the end result to this.

Romanojan

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2018
Any update if the band was able to removed? Curious to know the end result to this.
[doublepost=1526238991][/doublepost]I am not the original person that posted but the dish soap and some fishing line helped me remove mine. Thanks to the people that suggested the dish soap and floss!

Reactions: Aquamite

area52

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
Thermite and a lighter will work wonders. Will get those two pieces apart in no time.

Lol. I don’t think the result qualifies for an Apple care replacement though....maybe if the OP claims “hit by flaming meteor”

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Stop harping on the 3rd party watch bands. We all know that Apple items can fail too...right? I have saved enough money buying third party bands that I could buy a new watch if my bands ever fail me. That said, I have been lucky so far.

OP, I hope you get it out without any further issue!!!

But if an official proper band got stuck, Apple might take a look. They're not going to be remotely helpful in this situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.