Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
What's with these so-called "friends" deliberately borking phones and watches? Perhaps some folks here need to reevaluate these "friends".

And what's with these tech sites reporting on the issue, including the EXACT TEXT needed to initiate the problem, instead of simply keeping it quiet until Apple fixes it. Now everyone knows about the issue, giving tools to the nimrods of the world to show how cool they are.

And just why did your "friend" do this? Was it supposed to be funny? Is he still your "friend"?

Please don't act like you have never been pranked, or trolled by a friend. Best friends do that, colleagues don't.

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
What's with these so-called "friends" deliberately borking phones and watches? Perhaps some folks here need to reevaluate these "friends".

And what's with these tech sites reporting on the issue, including the EXACT TEXT needed to initiate the problem, instead of simply keeping it quiet until Apple fixes it. Now everyone knows about the issue, giving tools to the nimrods of the world to show how cool they are.

Exactly. The tech sites published it to show how smart they were and to compete with all the other jerk tech sites.

And then all the nimrods decided to be cute and disable all their "friends'" devices. This just demonstrates that there is no limit to the number of jerks and idiots who have access to a computer.

If the OP doesn't get rid of this particular "friend" he deserves what he gets in the future from him.

Javabird

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015

I have the same question. It's pretty unethical of MacRumors (and other sites) to do this, IMO.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Exactly. The tech sites published it to show how smart they were and to compete with all the other jerk tech sites.

And then all the nimrods decided to be cute and disable all their "friends'" devices. This just demonstrates that there is no limit to the number of jerks and idiots who have access to a computer.

If the OP doesn't get rid of this particular "friend" he deserves what he gets in the future from him.

No need to take it this far. Seriously, best friends prank each other usually in the worst way you can think of and it's always okay.

His friend probably meant no harm for him, and never even imagined his watch would turn unusable with this message. He just wanted to have some fun seeing his friend trying to fix his iPhone.

Best friends always do bad stuff together, that's the world. You get used to it. Unfortunately Apple screwed up bad this time and they need to issue an immediate update.

chrissmash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Well the friends are best friends and in terms of pranks it's pretty tame. Sadly I am still sitting with a bust Apple watch stuck restarting, to be honest none of the media outlets reported about the watches being affected.

No idea how to fix it. Someone previously asked is it iMessage only, basically it is anything that goes through notification centre, the iPhone can't handle the foreign text and shuts itself down.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Well the friends are best friends and in terms of pranks it's pretty tame. Sadly I am still sitting with a bust Apple watch stuck restarting, to be honest none of the media outlets reported about the watches being affected.

No idea how to fix it. Someone previously asked is it iMessage only, basically it is anything that goes through notification centre, the iPhone can't handle the foreign text and shuts itself down.

I still didn't receive my watch, so wanted to ask, is it possible to disable text message and iMessage notifications from being sent to the Watch? If yes, that's what you must do on your replacement watch.

macdaddy86

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
Manchester, UK
I think you need to get your friend to send you a normal message again, but leave your phone alone, switch on your watch and hopefully this will override the funky message he previously sent, try it and report back.

it has to be from the same person

Stevenlr

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Leeds

Yeah im in the same boat.
Confirmed it can occur through things such as twitter, whatsapp messages.
Pretty much anything that can show you a notification on the lock screen or as a banner.

If you want to avoid it for now until the update the software, turn off notifications completely

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
Now, quick question, is this only an issue in the "lock screen" ? I turned off all notifications in the lock screen (SMS and Twitter and whatsapp). Also, has this only been happening since the LAST update (security wise) ?

Javabird

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
No need to take it this far. Seriously, best friends prank each other usually in the worst way you can think of and it's always okay.

His friend probably meant no harm for him, and never even imagined his watch would turn unusable with this message. He just wanted to have some fun seeing his friend trying to fix his iPhone.

Best friends always do bad stuff together, that's the world. You get used to it. Unfortunately Apple screwed up bad this time and they need to issue an immediate update.

No, I disagree - it's vandalism and it's not ok.

Stevenlr

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Leeds
Well mine isnt fixed!
By the way guys, both myself and the person that raised this thread, unpaired from the iphone so changing any settings on the iphone will have 0 effect on fixing the wathc.

macdaddy86

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
Manchester, UK
Well mine isnt fixed!
By the way guys, both myself and the person that raised this thread, unpaired from the iphone so changing any settings on the iphone will have 0 effect on fixing the wathc.

ahh, maybe this wasn't a good idea (tbh, i probably would have done the same) was going to say to try and restore from your phone app, that may have been the best bet, but thats not possible now.

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
No luck on this front just constantly restarting. Anyone else have any ideas to fix?

Mine did this also. Mine did it after I updated to 1.0.1

Would also reset its self. Sometimes it would stop, but most often it wouldn't.

I went to the Genius Bar. Got a new Watch a few days later. That one works awesome!

chrissmash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007

Nope still not fixed :(

----------

Guess he must have fixed it, no replies for a while.

Sorry still no fixed still resetting

Stevenlr

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Leeds
ahh, maybe this wasn't a good idea (tbh, i probably would have done the same) was going to say to try and restore from your phone app, that may have been the best bet, but thats not possible now.

Yeah i know, it was Apple support that suggested it unfortunately!

Im waiting for my watch battery to die now to see what happens then.

If no luck ill chase them in a few hours via support seen as im on a night shift :)

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
Please don't act like you have never been pranked, or trolled by a friend. Best friends do that, colleagues don't.

What total nonsense. Yeah, I've been pranked. Perhaps my friends know where to draw the line. Bricking an expensive device is over the top. That's not friendship, it's not a "prank", it's vandalism.

Don't hand me "they didn't know the extent of the harm" crap either. That only means they are ignorant as well as inconsiderate.

"Hey, my buddy slipped a virus on my iMac when I wasn't looking. Now I have to completely wipe my system, but not before it sent all my info to an unknown location in Romania."

Oh, hahahah, what a prankster! I am bent over with paradigms of laughter.

chrissmash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
What total nonsense. Yeah, I've been pranked. Perhaps my friends know where to draw the line. Bricking an expensive device is over the top. That's not friendship, it's not a "prank", it's vandalism.

Don't hand me "they didn't know the extent of the harm" crap either. That only means they are ignorant as well as inconsiderate.

"Hey, my buddy slipped a virus on my iMac when I wasn't looking. Now I have to completely wipe my system, but not before it sent all my info to an unknown location in Romania."

Oh, hahahah, what a prankster! I am bent over with paradigms of laughter.

Your pals prank is obviously much more incriminating that a simple restart, he knew the damage it would cause.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
Your pals prank is obviously much more incriminating that a simple restart, he knew the damage it would cause.

See the quotes? I was making a sarcastic extreme example of the "innocent joke" excuse.

If someone does something like what happened to you, they should know better. They just can't hide behind "sorry, didn't realize".

I sympathize with your difficulties getting your watch to work, but I think your friend owes you a very expensive dinner, or something similar.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
See the quotes? I was making a sarcastic extreme example of the "innocent joke" excuse.

If someone does something like what happened to you, they should know better. They just can't hide behind "sorry, didn't realize".

I sympathize with your difficulties getting your watch to work, but I think your friend owes you a very expensive dinner, or something similar.

Yes he probably did not know the extent of the harm, because none of the huge tech websites reported any issues with the Apple Watch. I wonder why they said nothing about it, specially that it sold millions already and someone must have reported similar issues.

His friend is a bad troll, we know it but If I was him (and no, when I troll I never harm people), I would just think I am messing around with a friend by "rebooting" his phone, not by bricking his watch.

I remember a few years ago when I had a Nokia with a bluetooth, and there was an app that allowed you to reboot your friend device if they accept the bluetooth connection. I had fun trolling them with it. That's because I was sure it would cause no harm but just a simple reboot.

This should tech Apple a lesson though, which is to include a lightning cable port in future and offer iTunes support so people can restore their Apple Watch the same way they do with their iPhones, or else Apple will be hit with many replacement requests for the Watch if such a bug happens again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.