Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
What total nonsense. Yeah, I've been pranked. Perhaps my friends know where to draw the line. Bricking an expensive device is over the top. That's not friendship, it's not a "prank", it's vandalism.

Don't hand me "they didn't know the extent of the harm" crap either. That only means they are ignorant as well as inconsiderate.

"Hey, my buddy slipped a virus on my iMac when I wasn't looking. Now I have to completely wipe my system, but not before it sent all my info to an unknown location in Romania."

Oh, hahahah, what a prankster! I am bent over with paradigms of laughter.

Think you meant paroxysms.
And it is just a prank.
All the news reports I saw reported the problem AND the supposed fix.
If the fix didn't work for you or if Apple support led you down the wrong path then that can't be blamed on your friend.
It's unfortunate but I don't really see malice.
Now if you've got friends who are malicious then that's a whole 'nother story.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And it is just a prank.
If the fix didn't work for you or if Apple support led you down the wrong path then that can't be blamed on your friend.
So someone screws something up for you and you can't get it back in working order, and that means that someone who screwed it up for you shouldn't be blamed? Seriously?

chrissmash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
And it is just a prank.

I agree with you sir, we are just typical pals messing about and I know any one of them would take a bullet for me if required.

Update: Apple Watch still not working, Apple have sent a replacement, old one still bricked.

----------

See the quotes? I was making a sarcastic extreme example of the "innocent joke" excuse.

If someone does something like what happened to you, they should know better. They just can't hide behind "sorry, didn't realize".

I sympathize with your difficulties getting your watch to work, but I think your friend owes you a very expensive dinner, or something similar.

Apologies, the Internet has no tone!

Javabird

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
Yes he probably did not know the extent of the harm, because none of the huge tech websites reported any issues with the Apple Watch. I wonder why they said nothing about it, specially that it sold millions already and someone must have reported similar issues.

His friend is a bad troll, we know it but If I was him (and no, when I troll I never harm people), I would just think I am messing around with a friend by "rebooting" his phone, not by bricking his watch.

I remember a few years ago when I had a Nokia with a bluetooth, and there was an app that allowed you to reboot your friend device if they accept the bluetooth connection. I had fun trolling them with it. That's because I was sure it would cause no harm but just a simple reboot.

This should tech Apple a lesson though, which is to include a lightning cable port in future and offer iTunes support so people can restore their Apple Watch the same way they do with their iPhones, or else Apple will be hit with many replacement requests for the Watch if such a bug happens again.

Seriously? You're blaming Apple for this? Ok, maybe it is a bug that needs to be fixed, but I believe very few people would have known about this if certain irresponsible web sites hadn't posted the exact text to make this happen.

I firmly believe that if people are going to own tech, they need to know how to use it and be responsible with it. Just because someone might leave their window open, doesn't mean it's OK to climb in and rob them.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
So someone screws something up for you and you can't get it back in working order, and that means that someone who screwed it up for you shouldn't be blamed? Seriously?

I think intent counts for a lot.
A lot of my friends weren't familiar with the triple-click accessibility shortcut and I used to ask to see their phone, and very quickly invert their colors.
They would freak -- I'd show them the shortcut -- and all would be well again.
Now if their home button broke while I was triple-clicking would I be responsible? Technically yes but breaking their phone was not my intent and the breaking of the home button is not the natural result of the triple-click.
Similarly, the bricking of the Apple Watch is not the natural result of the SMS bug. It might be related but it might not be.
A lot of people were trying this on their own watches when the story first broke and many reported no ill-effects at all.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
He just wanted to have some fun seeing his friend trying to fix his iPhone.

If that is his idea of "fun", then the guy is a complete jerk and should be ignored.

"Hey, are you on the way to work? Oh, look, I took out the air from your tires, lets have fun watching you figure out how to re-fill the tire! LOL."

The guy is an idiot and a jerk.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Fixing the issue on the phone is easy. Either have the same person who sent you the message send you a legit message or have Siri send a reply to the person who sent the message. Doing one or the other will unlock iMessage.app and get the phone back to normal.

Not sure about fixing watch.

Several friends, family, associates have joked about sending me the message. None have as they would expect a broken nose (likely not for a family member).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think intent counts for a lot.
A lot of my friends weren't familiar with the triple-click accessibility shortcut and I used to ask to see their phone, and very quickly invert their colors.
They would freak -- I'd show them the shortcut -- and all would be well again.
Now if their home button broke while I was triple-clicking would I be responsible? Technically yes but breaking their phone was not my intent and the breaking of the home button is not the natural result of the triple-click.
Similarly, the bricking of the Apple Watch is not the natural result of the SMS bug. It might be related but it might not be.
A lot of people were trying this on their own watches when the story first broke and many reported no ill-effects at all.

And yet you should in fact be responsible if that's would happen whatever the intent was. If you did that and the button broke and the friend had to pay to repair it are you seriously going to imply that you feel no responsibility at all to at least pay for that repair if not actually help your friend take it in somewhere to get it repaired?

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
Please don't act like you have never been pranked, or trolled by a friend. Best friends do that, colleagues don't.

Oh please. My friends don't cause pain or destruction. Obviously you don't mind that yours do!

----------

No need to take it this far. Seriously, best friends prank each other usually in the worst way you can think of and it's always okay.

His friend probably meant no harm for him, and never even imagined his watch would turn unusable with this message. He just wanted to have some fun seeing his friend trying to fix his iPhone.

Best friends always do bad stuff together, that's the world. You get used to it. Unfortunately Apple screwed up bad this time and they need to issue an immediate update.

It's absolutely pathetic that you think that way. It's never OK to do what you claim is common and acceptable. I would never have a friend like you and don't have any like you, thank the lord.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
And yet you should in fact be responsible if that's would happen whatever the intent was. If you did that and the button broke and the friend had to pay to repair it are you seriously going to imply that you feel no responsibility at all to at least pay for that repair if not actually help your friend take it in somewhere to get it repaired?

If I break my friends home button by mistake, I will pay only because he is my friend and I feel sorry for him, not because I have to. It's called ethics.

Now in that case his friend didn't really mean to break his Watch. I know it happened, but he didn't mean it. He could still be a good friend, just likes a little trolling but if I was the watch owner I wouldn't be really much mad at him specially that  promised a replacement unit for free.

And to be honest, if it's anyone's fault it's . Seriously I wouldn't even call this a normal bug, it's a fail and I am surprised it just showed up this late.

What's even worse in the OP case that Apple Support made it even worse by un-pairing the Watch without wiping it first while it's in a boot loop.

And one last time I say it, if it's anyone's fault, it's Apple's. It's sad, but true.

----------

Oh please. My friends don't cause pain or destruction. Obviously you don't mind that yours do!

----------

It's absolutely pathetic that you think that way. It's never OK to do what you claim is common and acceptable. I would never have a friend like you and don't have any like you, thank the lord.

Yep, thank the lord I got "normal" friends, not perfect angels from the sky. I am proud I got such friends, and happy with them. I am even happier I got none who are as serious as you. You must be fun at parties.

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
This should tech Apple a lesson though, which is to include a lightning cable port in future and offer iTunes support so people can restore their Apple Watch the same way they do with their iPhones, or else Apple will be hit with many replacement requests for the Watch if such a bug happens again.

Teach Apple a lesson?? Your priorities and insight into this situation are bizarre and very sad. You are placing the blame on the wrong people.

----------

Yep, thank the lord I got "normal" friends, not perfect angels from the sky. I am proud I got such friends, and happy with them. I am even happier I got none who are as serious as you. You must be fun at parties.

I'm honest and trustworthy. You and your friends, on the other hand, are what is wrong with this country. You have NO consideration of anyone besides what you think is OK for you.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Teach Apple a lesson?? Your priorities and insight into this situation are bizarre and very sad. You are placing the blame on the wrong people.

Placing the blame on the wrong people?! Who should I blame in your opinion? Should I blame someone who decided to use a basic functionality in the device as typing in English, native punctuated Arabic and a pi symbol?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If I break my friends home button by mistake, I will pay only because he is my friend and I feel sorry for him, not because I have to. It's called ethics.

Now in that case his friend didn't really mean to break his Watch. I know it happened, but he didn't mean it. He could still be a good friend, just likes a little trolling but if I was the watch owner I wouldn't be really much mad at him specially that  promised a replacement unit for free.

And to be honest, if it's anyone's fault it's . Seriously I wouldn't even call this a normal bug, it's a fail and I am surprised it just showed up this late.

What's even worse in the OP case that Apple Support made it even worse by un-pairing the Watch without wiping it first while it's in a boot loop.

And one last time I say it, if it's anyone's fault, it's Apple's. It's sad, but true.

----------

And the same kind of sense of ethics/morality/empathy would then similarly apply in a situation like this.

And, yes, it's Apple's fault, but it doesn't excuse using it on people. It might be the fault of the manufacturer if lets say some lock doesn't work properly and can be opened easily, but if someone was to use that to enter some property that isn't their own, even as a prank, it would still be called trespassing. It's rather basic logic.
If that is his idea of "fun", then the guy is a complete jerk and should be ignored.

"Hey, are you on the way to work? Oh, look, I took out the air from your tires, lets have fun watching you figure out how to re-fill the tire! LOL."

The guy is an idiot and a jerk.
I'm often wary of car analogies, but that one conveys the overall principle involved in all of this fairly well.

Last edited:

stulowe2009

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2009
The fact that it can still be done though 4 days after in went viral is a real big issue.

The jailbreak community managed to fix the CoreText bug in 2 days and provide a downloadable patch for those that are jail broken. However apple with their billions in resources have decided to do nothing as it seems to not fit their 8.4 upgrade schedule. To me that is not acceptable.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The fact that it can still be done though 4 days after in went viral is a real big issue.

The jailbreak community managed to fix the CoreText bug in 2 days and provide a downloadable patch for those that are jail broken. However apple with their billions in resources have decided to do nothing as it seems to not fit their 8.4 upgrade schedule. To me that is not acceptable.
Unlike the jailbreak community Apple actually needs to test things on a whole myriad of hardware and software combinations and needs to address the underlying issue instead of just a specific patch fix to address a particular instance like the jailbreak community can do. It's certainly great that they are doing it, and it doesn't mean that Apple shouldn't address it as soon as possible, but there's a difference. (It also hasn't been 4 days since it "gone viral", we are looking at about half that time at this point.)

stulowe2009

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2009
Unlike the jailbreak community Apple actually needs to test things on a whole myriad of hardware and software combinations and needs to address the underlying issue instead of just a specific patch fix to address a particular instance like the jailbreak community can do. It's certainly great that they are doing it, and it doesn't mean that Apple shouldn't address it as soon as possible, but there's a difference. (It also hasn't been 4 days since it "gone viral", we are looking at about half that time at this point.)

But to issue 8.3 again with a fixed CoreText as 8.3.1 is not a major undertaking on their part. Especially as it can really mess up quite a lot of things outside of just crashing messages.

Was bouncing around social media on 26th, media picked it up 27th and where I am it is now 30th.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California

I'm sure a fix is in the offing, and as you said, it's not that simple. The last thing they need is to fix one thing and break another.

My concern is what all these cool "friends" will do to prank one another once this issue if fixed. Maybe grab their "buddies" phone and smash it against a wall? How cool would that be?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
But to issue 8.3 again with a fixed CoreText as 8.3.1 is not a major undertaking on their part. Especially as it can really mess up quite a lot of things outside of just crashing messages.

Was bouncing around social media on 26th, media picked it up 27th and where I am it is now 30th.

You assume or think it's not a major undertaking and that particular fix is the only thing that would be involved. It doesn't mean that that's the reality.

stulowe2009

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2009
You assume or think it's not a major undertaking and that particular fix is the only thing that would be involved. It doesn't mean that that's the reality.

Perhaps there is more involved and certainly its going to need a new iOS, OS X and Watch OS update to fix.

I guess any changes are having to be written into 8.4 anyway now as a priority as well. The speed at which a fix for a bug like this appears will always be a calculation of cost of development and deployment vs the cost in PR and replacements for broken devices.

If more watches start breaking like this below though then I think it might prompt some quicker action, Watch PR is very important right now.

chrissmash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007

----------

I'm honest and trustworthy. You and your friends, on the other hand, are what is wrong with this country. You have NO consideration of anyone besides what you think is OK for you.

Out of curiosity what country are you talking about?

Update on Apple Watch, still broke!

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
This seriously needs fixing soon and more for the watch sake than the phone.

Imagine some disgruntled employee setting the ibeacons to deliver this to an in store application and then getting the notification sent to the watch from the phone as a standard notification.

It might not effect the phone because the ibeacon app rendering of the message might not be susceptible but it might just forward the message to the watch.

I'll be turning off all notifications for store apps and shopping centre apps that I have for now :D

chrissmash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
So UPDATE!

Apple Watch working again, I unpaired it, let the battery run completely down, switched it on. Still resetting. Charged it up full this morning and left it alone a while and now everything is working again!

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
So UPDATE!

Apple Watch working again, I unpaired it, let the battery run completely down, switched it on. Still resetting. Charged it up full this morning and left it alone a while and now everything is working again!

I am really happy for you that it got fixed. Don't forget to disable the notifications for now, oh and beg your friend for mercy :D

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
So UPDATE!

Awesome. I think I'm going to turn off texts for awhile, just in case.

Stevenlr

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Leeds
So UPDATE!

Happy for you!

But, mines no different :mad:

Whilst on night shift last night i let it run out of battery (The reboot loop seems to drain it well)

Left it couple of hours then brought it back online, no different.

Whilst sleeping i left it charging which would usually get it up to full charge, its only got up to 26%.

Ive now plugged it into my iPad charger to hopefully get it going quicker but Ive not got high hopes :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.