Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I think all these smart-watches are designed with convenience in mind..

Isn't it easier to look at your wrist, then a pull out a phone for certain things ?

I wouldn't have said that 2 years ago, but just because technology has found it's way into a watch, why not.

However, i still say, all of this is mostly health and fitness...

MacMulti

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
(Maybe) I would go for iwatch only from third, fourth gen or more, coz only then would have better battery life and screen size would be large enough to my comfort and liking, among other things.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
At the keynote, it was mentioned how u could reply to messages using a drawing type on screen, which some may want to, but they never went into the fact how do reply with a message..

Most people won't use it for that, not for drawing. yet Apple never shows how you could reply with a message on such a small display because probably can't.. that's where the phone comes in handy, and probably explains why it needs to be paired.

In addition, the guy on stage mentioned all the stuff u can do with Apple Watch including going through galaxies etc... however all the time, not even once did he touch the crown...

Which only suggests its limited to what it can do.... You must touch for the most part.

I would have liked the crown to have done allot more stuff.

Last edited:

justinthesommer

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2014
United States
Looks like it has the iPhone 1st Generation curve to it.

Attachments

• Apple-iPhone-1st-generation2.jpg
    Apple-iPhone-1st-generation2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 230

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I have a $20 Timex from the 80's that still works and is in great condition. You have absolutely no idea what your talking about.

Yep, your one anecdotal example proves me wrong. Your $20 Timex is clearly the pinnacle of watchmaking. Rolex is junk. *eyeroll*

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I said nothing about how me feeling anything. Perhaps you're a little too "in touch" with your feelings.

The reference was simple: the :apple:Watch looks girly to me, just like rainbows and unicorns on a t-shirt does.

I'm a man. I choose not to wear things either designed for women or perceived as such (by me).

Feel free to "cross dress" as you see fit, though.

Wow! That's insanely offensive. Sure you want to keep this on the internet so people know how much of a sleeze you are...?

rocksyoursock

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Oh, sapphire shatters, does it now? That's news to me and my sapphire watch that over the past ten years has taken many hits that glass can only dream of surviving.

Yes. It is exponentially more scratch resistant, but due its inability to flex, it will shatter when bent.

I am glad I was able to inform you on why Apple made that decision, despite your own experiences with the two materials.

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Couldn't you just have a watch for surfing and an Apple watch for the other 99% of your life?

what? no hahahaha. I'm just saying for Apple's sake. Imagine if it were waterproof :cool::apple:

----------

It seems I have received civil unrest for stating that "it was waterproof".

Yes, I misread the previous article and in recollection of it, stated the feature incorrectly.

I meant, to say (which I know is now wrong), it is water-restistant.

relax, i never even read your previous post. Just stating what I thought upon seeing the keynote lol

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Any way, my point was just that when it comes down to aesthetics and fashion, it's all personal opinion and everyone's got one. People need to stop assuming that it's just ~impossible~ for people to think the watch looks good.

Everyone has an opinon--and at the end of the day you add up all the opinions and you get a market consensus on a product. I am speculating--based on my reading here and elsewhere--what market verdict on this product will be. And what I see is indifference to the functionality and a very negative reaction to the aesthetics.

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
Hi. I'm right handed, but would like to hear from left handed people about what they think about the main control being on the right side.

I think the wheel/button is a good solution for the design, except I have to wonder what usage would be like for lefties. Thanks.

Im a leftie but have my watch on my left hand,,I've tried it on my right..a watch, and i can't see what the issue is..I used to wear my watch on my right..but hated it..its lefties making a noise about being left..like gays and lesbians having to say...look I'm here don't forget me..get over it !.

----------

I think this watch is about apple pay..controlling things around the house like lights and tv...and hopefully the wife eventually.:)

dingster1

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
MD
Like the look but I flip between platforms frequently. Need my smartwatch to be cross platform...Pebble it's going to be...

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
I think this watch is about apple pay..controlling things around the house like lights and tv...and hopefully the wife eventually.:)

+1
for thinking 'pay' … and for taking things not too seriously :)

The hidden brilliance behind the timing of Apple’s adoption of NFC | PandoDaily (2014-09-11) – with credit to https://twitter.com/adamnash/status/510106375624880129

… its lefties making a noise about being left..like gays and lesbians having to say...look I'm here don't forget me …

I hadn't thought to mention it before now, but I'm not really there; if anywhere, the pigeonhole-gay side of me is likely to appear here. And whilst I enjoyed Whizzer and Chips, I was more of a Shiver'n'Shake kid :)

Back on topic: Apple's historic introduction to the product was a little careless – portraying its most personal device ever solely from the perspective of people who are right-handed. It's not unreasonable for a proportion of the other part of the population to wonder whether they're treated as second-class from a human interface perspective. Incidentally, I'm not left handed

MacConsultant

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
Yep, your one anecdotal example proves me wrong. Your $20 Timex is clearly the pinnacle of watchmaking. Rolex is junk. *eyeroll*

My $15 Casio is supreme. Ten year battery life, never needs charging, time is accurate to the minute, waterproof, easy to read both day and night. If I want anything else except day, date, time, will simply use another device far more suitable, practical, & convenient. People are getting excited over the new-ness and the Apple brand. Would not want to take a watch off nightly to hook it up to a charger.

andyshrestha

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
so you guys have not seen galaxy gears yet !

I am a Apple user and this Apple watch is a big dissappointment.

I wonder you guys have not seen Samsung Galaxy gears yet.

If we called Samsung Galaxies replica of iPhone when they first came. We should agree that Apple watch is Galaxy Gear 2 replica.

:apple:

MacConsultant

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
I think all these smart-watches are designed with convenience in mind..

Isn't it easier to look at your wrist, then a pull out a phone for certain things ?

No, given the small screen, limited usefulness, battery life. To be healthy and do healthy things one does not need the iWatch, even if it were free.

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
You could just google any of the big swiss names. Image

The complexity of these watches far exceeds that of the apple watch which is just a chip and a few smartphone components. And I am willing my entire life on this that no business man would ever choose an apple watch over a classic swiss watch.

You're quite right! Because businessmen (the ones so inclined) choose their outrageous $10,000 watches as some kind of boardroom nob swinging power-semaphore.

Now I like a luxury product as much as the next man, but the notion that these gauche timepieces are anything more than Patrick Bateman style indicators of wealth and status is just crazy.

In terms of pure function, a $10 Casio does everything (and often more) that these do.

So no, if you're a Silver-back alpha male beating your chest on Wall St. then a 350 bucks Apple Watch won't be your thing.

If however you want to track your health stats, keep informed of all your incoming messages whilst receiving tactile point to point directions as you stroll round a new city, then yeah, you might grab one...

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
No, given the small screen, limited usefulness, battery life. To be healthy and do healthy things one does not need the iWatch, even if it were free.

The Apple Watch is the first time that Apple has explicitly put out an inferior-designed type product with the cynical knowledge that it will add billions to their profit-line because they know at least 10% of iPhone users are hard-core Apple fanatics and will buy anything they put out.

----------

You're quite right! Because businessmen (the ones so inclined) choose their outrageous $10,000 watches as some kind of boardroom nob swinging power-semaphore.

Now I like a luxury product as much as the next man, but the notion that these gauche timepieces are anything more than Patrick Bateman style indicators of wealth and status is just crazy.

In terms of pure function, a $10 Casio does everything (and often more) that these do.

So no, if you're a Silver-back alpha male beating your chest on Wall St. then a 350 bucks Apple Watch won't be your thing.

If however you want to track your health stats, keep informed of all your incoming messages whilst receiving tactile point to point directions as you stroll round a new city, then yeah, you might grab one...

Everything about the Apple Watch screams Nerd Watch. It's like the exact opposite of the iPhone = Cool.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Wow! That's insanely offensive. Sure you want to keep this on the internet so people know how much of a sleeze you are...?

What out of what I said is offensive? That I don't like to wear "feminine" attire? That I acknowledge that you are free to do as you will?

I consider these things to be obvious, but in this day and age of "anything goes", my hard-coded sense of male and female is almost entirely out of place.

That said, I do recognize that it is merely a disagreement. I'm a man and choose to not wear things I perceive to be "girly" (my wife wouldn't appreciate it either). To me, the iWatch is girly. Simple.

You and anyone else that feels otherwise, is free to do what you want, even if I disagree with it. However, as with all freedom, there are consequences to what you do. After all, "everything's permissible, but not everything is beneficial."

If that makes me "sleezy" (I don't think you know what sleazy really means, but ok), so be it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.