Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Hello,

As the title says I can get an Apple Watch Series 3 GPS only model, for just $60. Battery Health is 91% and it is mostly scratch free, working condition.
Given the circumstances of the predicted support of this device, should I just buy it?
I have no Apple Watch now and never had before.

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
60$ to get your feet wet isn't that bad (do you have information about the material/ supplied band ?), not quite sure that you would be able to recoup anything down the line though.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
60$ to get your feet wet isn't that bad (do you have information about the material/ supplied band ?), not quite sure that you would be able to recoup anything down the line though.
It has the original silicone band. I would not have to recoup anything because I can get this deal from work which is an Apple repair shop and I know the Watch has no issues.

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
For that price you won’t regret it I guess. But it‘s in no way comparable to newer models of course…

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
The experience is still miles better than having no watch though, right? What I'm trying to find out is, if the everyday use is not some kind of frustration because of a laggy or software crashing experience.

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
The experience is still miles better than having no watch though, right?
Depends on you, I had an iWatch that I sold after getting frustrated the mindfulness required to keep it charged (not that any other smart-watch will fare any better). But this seems to be a decent entry into the extended ecosystem.

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
Nah that doesn’t sound right… 😉
Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 16.53.07.png

Not like they didn't want to name it thusly, simply doing what's right :p

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
For $60 I’d buy it and try it out. If you like the Apple Watch experience you can then sell it on and put the money towards something fresher like an SE. The S3 won’t be a great experience I wouldn’t think but at that price the risk is very low.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I understand OP does not yet have an Apple Watch, but, what are you planning to use it for? depending on that, $60 might be a good deal, or not ...

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
I plan to use it for basic functionality like notification checking, running tracking, Apple Pay and loading about 40 songs on it with Spotify for offline listening while running (atm I'm holding my phone in one hand during the run...).

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
Yes of course get the S3 for $60! I bet you'll soon love it!

I gave my daughter my S3 when I bought my S5 and the S3 is still going strong. When you get ready to upgrade, give the Watch away to someone as it will still have plenty of functionality.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I plan to use it for basic functionality like notification checking, running tracking, Apple Pay and loading about 40 songs on it with Spotify for offline listening while running (atm I'm holding my phone in one hand during the run...).
go for it!

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
Waste of money at this point. Had the 3 for a long time and it just became a frustrating experience. Nothing works flawlessly on it. Spotify app was absolute trash and never worked right. Fitness tracking had occasional issues. After several factory resets it still sucked. Finally dumped it last month. The 7 works flawlessly. Save your money and put towards a better model as this will be a disappointment. It’s a crime that this is sold new still. Such a trash product in 2022. When it was new on its original OS it was great. Today….no….just no.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
Waste of money at this point. Had the 3 for a long time and it just became a frustrating experience. Nothing works flawlessly on it. Spotify app was absolute trash and never worked right. Fitness tracking had occasional issues. After several factory resets it still sucked. Finally dumped it last month. The 7 works flawlessly. Save your money and put towards a better model as this will be a disappointment. It’s a crime that this is sold new still. Such a trash product in 2022. When it was new on its original OS it was great. Today….no….just no.
Not my experience. (Understatement)
My Series 3 is still performing flawlessly.

Reactions: millerj123

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
IMO there are two likely outcomes to this:

1. You like the watch, so decide to go ahead and get a higher model, in which case you would have been better off putting the $60 towards the higher model;

2. You don't like the watch, in which case you either a) decide to try a higher model instead to see if it is any better (which is what you should have done in the first place), or b) decide to forget the watch, in which case it cost you $60 to try it out. It costs much less to try out a new model for 14 days for free.

After several mistakes disposing some "great deals" in the dumpster, I learned to never buy something because it was a good deal.

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016
No. The Series 8 is coming out in November. Why get the 3 now? I'm not so sure firmware will support 3 then.
Even if it's only $60.

Plus, once the new models come out, the 7s and SE will be discounted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.