Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Doesn't the Series 3 GPS model need to be completely wiped and restored from backup when updating watchOS because there isn't enough space to install the update?

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
Not my experience. (Understatement)
My Series 3 is still performing flawlessly.
Good for you. Mine was/is trash. I don’t see the value in spending any money on these things…even if it supports the next OS…it will be a dog. The hardware is so old at this point. OP would be better served with something not knocking on deaths door.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
If you can find any kind of store that will let you try out and return a S4, S5, S6 or S7 then I’d do that before throwing $60 at a S3.

No, $60 isn’t a lot for you, maybe. But S3 is terribly outdated by comparison to all the models after, and you’re not going to be able to resell an S3 for any kind of amount worth mentioning.

I think $60 is a lot to spend considering that it’s already outdated and will most likely get the “obsolete” tag from Apple after S8 launches later this year.

Don’t do it if you can try out a newer model and return it without paying anything.

Reactions: BellSystem

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
The interesting thing is that last week I replaced a battery in an S2, so that customer will probably use even the S2. For the last few days I'm wearing the watch and apart from the Spotify app being a bit slow, I don't have any issues with it. I've never had an Apple Watch before, so this cheap S3 brings a lot of convenience. I decided to keep it and when I get the financials right, I will upgrade to the latest version that is available.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Hello,

As the title says I can get an Apple Watch Series 3 GPS only model, for just $60. Battery Health is 91% and it is mostly scratch free, working condition.
Given the circumstances of the predicted support of this device, should I just buy it?
I have no Apple Watch now and never had before.
No. Buy the SE instead.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
The interesting thing is that last week I replaced a battery in an S2, so that customer will probably use even the S2. For the last few days I'm wearing the watch and apart from the Spotify app being a bit slow, I don't have any issues with it. I've never had an Apple Watch before, so this cheap S3 brings a lot of convenience. I decided to keep it and when I get the financials right, I will upgrade to the latest version that is available.
I had the series 2 and it was dog slow. I moved to the 4 and it was much much faster. I have since moved to the 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.