Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I am looking at the protective covers the Apple Watch Ultra 2 can be fitted with. Is anyone using them. The are cheap enough to try. Here is an example of what I am looking at.

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 16.06.34.png

Reactions: KB0JWR

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
You do you, of course. But, if you manage to significantly damage the Ultra, that’ll be the least of your worries.

Instead, you’ll be devoting much more attention to adapting to life as an amputee.

No, I’m not exaggerating.

That Spigen “protector” is just a postage-stamp-sized piece of tempered glass — more commonly referred to as a microscope slide. If you ever played with a microscope as a kid, you’ll remember that those things scratch and break if you far … er … sneeze in their general direction.

I’ve been elbow-deep in the garden dirt pulling out Bermuda grass weeds while wearing my Ultra at least a few times this past year, in addition to generally being a bit of a klutz. The screen is pristine. There’s the slightest bit of shiny patina around the sharp edge of the bezel, and a couple hairline scratches that you can only see if you catch the sunlight at precisely the right angle.

The Spigen “protector” wouldn’t have lasted five minutes in the garden.

b&

Reactions: transmaster

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I think I have a solution. Thinking back on my Military days we used watch bands that had a velcro flap the covered the watch face. Night vision equipment can pick up the luminous watch dials from a fair distance. Digital watches were not in common use at that time. I found one that I rather like. Basically you slide this over the existing watch and its watch band. The flap can be pulled over the watch. This slip cover is open on the bottom for the watch sensors. It can be quickly removed when you don't need it.

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 17.16.34.png

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 17.23.47.png

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I think I have a solution. Thinking back on my Military days we used watch bands that had a velcro flap the covered the watch face. Night vision equipment can pick up the luminous watch dials from a fair distance. Digital watches were not in common use at that time. I found one that I rather like. Basically you slide this over the existing watch and its watch band. The flap can be pulled over the watch. This slip cover is open on the bottom for the watch sensors. It can be quickly removed when you don't need it.

View attachment 2281043
That actually looks really smart. I have no need for anything like that, but I can see how people doing really rugged workouts (rock climbing, mud runs, etc) could find something like this super useful.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

View attachment 2281043

View attachment 2281045
Why not buy a wide sweat band instead? That way you can cover when needed and quickly slide off when its not needed.

Rainman1915

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2020
I have an Ultra 1 and do not use a screen protector you won't need one. Mine is the same as when I got it. Save your money. I had them on my S3 & S6.

Last edited:

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Why not buy a wide sweat band instead? That way you can cover when needed and quickly slide off when its not needed.
If the flap incorporated magnets, it could be an easier option — flip it open and the magnets hold the flap open, close it and the magnets keep it closed.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
What he posted is very bulky and will get in the way of normal wrist action, in my opinion.
Maybe. It would depend on how it fits your wrist and how high up you wear it. Looking at my own watch/wrist, I think it would probably be fine, but I know a lot of people like to wear their watch way down to the wrist for whatever reason. Either way, it's a pretty niche product and I'm not getting one, I just think it could be useful to people in more rugged outdoor activities.

Edit: maybe also useful for tradespeople who have to put their hands in tight spaces, etc.

Last edited:

Gsxr750

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2022
I had an ultra 1. Wore it while doing underground construction, repairing broken water mains, that more often or not, didn’t shut down all the way. Can’t count how many times that things been plunged into ice cold sandy water, underneath ductile iron pipes. Not a single scratch on it.

Last edited:

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
69741391854__408A83E7-592C-4520-9972-AAE3A695B357.jpeg
I’ve used this cover/band strap on my AWU for 1 year. Never need to clean under the cover. Just sold my watch with not a single scratch. Great deal on Amazon for $18. Just search Tauri band.

Attachments

• IMG_1742.jpeg
    IMG_1742.jpeg
    425.6 KB · Views: 238
  • 69741340516__1608956A-DC6B-4556-A62E-58E9CEEC1487.jpeg
    69741340516__1608956A-DC6B-4556-A62E-58E9CEEC1487.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 232

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2011
Haters will hate but I have a rugged armour strap and rugged armour case on my AWU2.

This is it beside my S6.

I also have a tempered glass screen protector (spigen)

I used to work in law enforcement and the amount of times I rolled round on the floor with a watch on and it got scratched etc.

I want my ultra to remain in good condition, not for the next owner but because I like to look after my things.

I also like the robust look (I have a rugged armour case on my phone too).

IMG_0624.jpeg

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Ordered the Spigen I figured for the price if I don't like it I won't use it. Back when I still wore wristwatches I don't recall having any trouble with the watches with glass crystals, and not that much with the cheap plastic ones either.
I can already tell this is going to be wasted, not much, money. Having a wristwatch on for the first time in many years is bringing back the memories of when I used to wear them and at that time even working heavy construction I didn't have much of a problem. I had more problems with watches that could not take getting wet.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I went ahead and installed the Spigen cover. I actually like it not for the protection but for its looks. It mildly obstructs the crown wheel but since most of it functions are done on the screen it is no big deal.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I snagged one of these for when I am riding my bike or doing something I might really eff up the watch(and while it looks pretty bomb-proof as seen in videos, any minor blemish will bug me.) I wanted something that could pop on without have to take the watch off my wrist. May get a second one to keep in the car,

it is light, easy to take on and off, should protect the watch in a fall and actually looks good and barely noticeable.

1697693314870.png

1697693344131.png

(not my hand, from amazon reviews...)

Last edited:

joysmahal

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'm using a Ringke Air Sports for the Ultra. Only use it when I really need to (yard work, wash the car, working the car, etc).

Adds very minimal bulk. It does fit on snug and I make sure to clean it out afterwards with alcohol and a cotton ball when I'm done using it so dirt doesn't build up in it.

Really happy with it so far, it's only been 3 weeks or so, but I'd recommend it. It's cheap, too.

Attachments

• IMG_8960.jpg
    IMG_8960.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_8962.jpg
    IMG_8962.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 162
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.