Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today began selling certified refurbished Apple Watch Ultra 2 models in the U.S. for the first time since the device was released in September.

Apple-Watch-Ultra-2-hero-feature-blorange.jpg

As of writing, refurbished Ultra 2 models with the Blue, Orange, or White Ocean Band are available for $679, compared to $799 brand new.

Like new Ultra 2 models sold directly by Apple in the U.S. currently, we expect that the Blood Oxygen app is deactivated on the refurbished models, due to a legal battle with medical technology company Masimo. Last year, the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) banned Apple from importing and selling Apple Watch models with blood oxygen sensing after it ruled that the feature infringed on Masimo's patents. Apple is appealing the decision, and could re-enable the Blood Oxygen app with a watchOS update if it is overturned.

Availability began in the U.K. and China earlier this week, and the Blood Oxygen app remains functional outside of the U.S. currently.

There are no refurbished Apple Watch Series 9 models available on Apple's store in the U.S. yet.

Article Link: Apple Watch Ultra 2 Now Available on Apple's Refurbished Store in U.S.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I'd rather hold off for the next one at this point. I've already been sitting on this old Apple Watch 7 for years because they never add anything worth the time of upgrading.
That’s where I’m at too. Been looking at an AWU-1 to use strictly for marathon training (I’m slow so I need all the battery I can get) and for hiking. But I do wear my 7 as my daily driver and for my activities. Still like it, but ready for a new design.

Reactions: Jovijoker

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
It's available locally, constantly, for $400-500

Something about it doesn't seem to resonate, as the Ultra 1 & 2 are constantly getting offloaded around me ... and the original buyers appear to be taking a bath.

Too big after using it for awhile I wonder?

So odd to see so many people trying to get rid of them

Reactions: dustin_

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
I wouldn't hesitate to purchase anything refurbed from Apple. I've been doing it for years to save money and I've never had a problem.

I don't know what it's like now, but I used to encourage users who asked for a discount to buy Apple refurbs. It was about a 50% chance they'd bring it in for warranty repair right out of the box. I mean, I'd let them know that was going to happen, but I'd make it their choice. Made more money on the refurbs than selling a new computer.

I doubt it's 50% any more, it's been a while. But it was REALLY bad for a while around the Intel transition.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
I don't know what it's like now, but I used to encourage users who asked for a discount to buy Apple refurbs. It was about a 50% chance they'd bring it in for warranty repair right out of the box. I mean, I'd let them know that was going to happen, but I'd make it their choice. Made more money on the refurbs than selling a new computer.

I doubt it's 50% any more, it's been a while. But it was REALLY bad for a while around the Intel transition.
I've bought multiple new and refurbished products from Apple.com over the past 20 years and the only time I ever had a problem right out of the box was with my BRAND NEW 2008 unibody 15" MacBook Pro. It had dust between the glass and the screen and they made things right when I brought it to my local Apple store. I've NEVER had any issues with any of the refurbs I've bought directly from Apple. The only real determining factor for me in regards to purchasing one over the other is availability and price.

The way I view it is that the refurbs from Apple go through additional quality control checks and if repairs or replacements are needed, they do it. Typically, they replace the shells, batteries, and even the cables and power bricks. While also providing the same 1 year warranty as new - you can even add AppleCare if you wanted to.

What I would never trust is buying 3rd party refurbished Apple products. Only buy directly from Apple.com.

Last edited:

Drs247

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2021
I have an idea and I'd like others to weigh in on this.
This (& every other site similar to this one) should be divided into 2 : One serving news that applies only to the US & another that applies to the rest of the world.
I am sure there are many readers that are not from the US & have nothing to do with that country ? Like, I am in France & still waiting for  News.
What do you guys think ?

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015

Something about it doesn't seem to resonate, as the Ultra 1 & 2 are constantly getting offloaded around me ... and the original buyers appear to be taking a bath.

I have a ultra 2 cellular and the cool factor dissolved after about a month or so. I can't put it in words well but experienced notification fatigue. Constantly checking my wrist when I'm notified of a new text, snapchat, teams, multiple email accounts, etc. I don't need to be THAT connected and could benefit a setting that staggers notifications/chatty conversations. On top of that it not detecting naps so it wakes you.

Then I switched to Samsung earlier this year and the watch is now a paper weight.

Watch OS peaked for me when there were more standalone apps like Uber back in 2018

Reactions: Premium1

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I have a ultra 2 cellular and the cool factor dissolved after about a month or so. I can't put it in words well but experienced notification fatigue.
I just got my first Apple Watch, and I quickly disabled almost all alerts. I got it mainly for activity and sleep tracking. I think it's handy for quick reference but notifications on it annoy me to no end -- way more than they do on the iPhone. Something about it being right there on my wrist makes them feel very intrustive to me.

• Love
Reactions: TheMountainLife

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I'm very new to Apple Watch and my SE 2 doesn't have blood oxygen monitoring at all. What's the consensus on how useful those readings are? Only time I've even considered them is when someone is sick (was taking care of an older relative once and her blood oxygen level was something the visiting nurse told me to check a couple times a day).

For healthy people what's the value? Is it helpful for working out or something?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
My launch day Ultra 1 is still chugging along just fine. I'll upgrade when they add an actual flashlight like the Epix Pro.

JSRinUK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Greater London, UK
I very nearly bought my Apple Watch from the Apple refurb store (UK) but, before I did, I noticed that, unlike the refurb iPhone 12 mini I recently purchased, there’s no mention of a new battery in the refurbished Watch.

As battery life was the primary reason I wanted to replace my series 4, I opted against refurb and bought new instead. I don’t regret that choice.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
I have an idea and I'd like others to weigh in on this.
This (& every other site similar to this one) should be divided into 2 : One serving news that applies only to the US & another that applies to the rest of the world.
I am sure there are many readers that are not from the US & have nothing to do with that country ? Like, I am in France & still waiting for  News.
What do you guys think ?
So basically MacRumours.com for those outside of the US 🤣

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I'd rather hold off for the next one at this point. I've already been sitting on this old Apple Watch 7 for years because they never add anything worth the time of upgrading.
I just don't think the Ultra is so Ultra either unless it has its own better processor on it. It's literally the SAME watch haha. I'm sitting on my Apple Watch 7 also, haven't found anything particularly interesting on anything to update it. The always on display was the first completely usable Apple Watch for me though....

Reactions: StoneJack

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again

I have a feeling they are fake models, they have flooded our area too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.