Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac38728

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2024
USA
I have a feeling they are fake models, they have flooded our area too.
100% not fake. Apple Refurbished is overpriced but you do get a new chassis and the option to add AppleCare. Same in my area and online - Ultra 1 $500 ish.

mac38728

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2024
USA
I very nearly bought my Apple Watch from the Apple refurb store (UK) but, before I did, I noticed that, unlike the refurb iPhone 12 mini I recently purchased, there’s no mention of a new battery in the refurbished Watch.

As battery life was the primary reason I wanted to replace my series 4, I opted against refurb and bought new instead. I don’t regret that choice.
I’d just buy refurbished and check the battery health. Ultra 2 is relatively new so I wouldnt expect major degradation. Maybe 99 or 98 but you wouldn’t notice even if it was lower.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I have an idea and I'd like others to weigh in on this.
This (& every other site similar to this one) should be divided into 2 : One serving news that applies only to the US & another that applies to the rest of the world.
I am sure there are many readers that are not from the US & have nothing to do with that country ? Like, I am in France & still waiting for  News.
What do you guys think ?
I think adults should be able check for differences in their own countries. if a major feature isn’t available it’s usually government regulations especially in Europe.Some people ignore this is a free site and act like they're not getting their monies worth.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
The Ultra series have additional features but I’m unconvinced they have $400 worth of additional features over even the very basic SE.
Of course they aren’t IF you don’t need them. Or it’s just cool for some

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024
That‘s one hideously busy watch face. I wear an older Apple Watch and find some basic functions convenient but otherwise find it unstylish.

Reactions: iLuddite

cashdollar

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2017

Apple today began selling certified refurbished Apple Watch Ultra 2 models in the U.S. for the first time since the device was released in September.

Apple-Watch-Ultra-2-hero-feature-blorange.jpg

As of writing, refurbished Ultra 2 models with the Blue, Orange, or White Ocean Band are available for $679, compared to $799 brand new.

Like new Ultra 2 models sold directly by Apple in the U.S. currently, we expect that the Blood Oxygen app is deactivated on the refurbished models, due to a legal battle with medical technology company Masimo. Last year, the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) banned Apple from importing and selling Apple Watch models with blood oxygen sensing after it ruled that the feature infringed on Masimo's patents. Apple is appealing the decision, and could re-enable the Blood Oxygen app with a watchOS update if it is overturned.

Availability began in the U.K. and China earlier this week, and the Blood Oxygen app remains functional outside of the U.S. currently.

There are no refurbished Apple Watch Series 9 models available on Apple's store in the U.S. yet.

Article Link: Apple Watch Ultra 2 Now Available on Apple's Refurbished Store in U.S.
I have the Apple Watch Ultra 1 and have had Apple Watch’s since 2016. I love the convenience of the watch and the Ultra is rugged, but it’s not a Garmin. One day of serious hiking with airplane and power saving mode, where you can get 5 days using a Garmin in a similar manner. Also the Garmin has a barometer and a thermometer for storm warning and real time temp. I love my Apple Watch, especially as a daily driver, but for a long hike I have to leave it home

cashdollar

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2017
That’s where I’m at too. Been looking at an AWU-1 to use strictly for marathon training (I’m slow so I need all the battery I can get) and for hiking. But I do wear my 7 as my daily driver and for my activities. Still like it, but ready for a new design.
Depends how you hike. I’ve hiked with my AppleWatch for years, not really suited to the task. If you go on multi day or multi week hikes, a Garmin is much better. On the other hand for day-to-day a Garmin would be a pain in the ass, or at least a pain in my ass. For Apple to compete with Garmin in hiking and athletic training, they would have to make design choices I don’t see Apple making.

Last edited:

Youngin

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2017
I have a ultra 2 cellular and the cool factor dissolved after about a month or so. I can't put it in words well but experienced notification fatigue. Constantly checking my wrist when I'm notified of a new text, snapchat, teams, multiple email accounts, etc. I don't need to be THAT connected and could benefit a setting that staggers notifications/chatty conversations. On top of that it not detecting naps so it wakes you.

Then I switched to Samsung earlier this year and the watch is now a paper weight.

Watch OS peaked for me when there were more standalone apps like Uber back in 2018
So you changed ecosystems because you didn’t know you can independently change which notifications are on your watch? 😂

Sounds like a You problem, not an Apple Watch problem.

Supercyborgninja

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2022
This is the only product from Apple I thought was ugly…and my mind wasn’t changed on it.

Every time I’ve seen it, I’m just like wow that is awful looking.

But then again, I have a stainless steel space black S5 I got super cheap. So it’s a bit unfair.

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
So you changed ecosystems because you didn’t know you can independently change which notifications are on your watch? 😂

Sounds like a You problem, not an Apple Watch problem.
Nope that wasn't the reason I switched at all. Regarding the notifications I wish there was more customization vs just things being on/off or default preset snooze options and as I mentioned before, nap detection.

Didn't mean to kill your Apple boner.

jblank

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2020
I’d just buy refurbished and check the battery health. Ultra 2 is relatively new so I wouldnt expect major degradation. Maybe 99 or 98 but you wouldn’t notice even if it was lower.
If the watches are refurbed like Macbooks, they replace the battery if it has any degradation. I've purchased a few refurb devices in the past and all have had brand new batteries.

JSRinUK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Greater London, UK
At the time of my purchase, only the Ultra 1 was available on refurb so the risk was higher. Might well be different with an Ultra 2 but the saving isn’t as great over a new one, so I’d probably still have made the same choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.