Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
According to Nomad (I have their Ti band), they say Apple specifications call for SS end links. I don't know if they are making that up, but they are a legitimate company and one of the first to come up with a true Ti bracelet.

In the Faq section:

I’m pretty sure the factory ends on the ultra band are Ti no?

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013

Yes. Not sure if they still recommend it for aftermarket band makers? Or, Nomad could be lying...

But Apple did design the watch to use your old bands, which many of which would have SS in them.

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Yes. Not sure if they still recommend it for aftermarket band makers? Or, Nomad could be lying...

But Apple did design the watch to use your old bands, which many of which would have SS in them.

Still the dissimilar metal thing is not ideal, and kinda cheap

I’d wager whomever makes all the band links in china ain’t tooled up, or willing to spend the $$ to tool up, to play with Ti

I’d also guess buying Ti links in bulk is much more expensive for nomad than just sticking with the steel ones they probably get by the crate

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I've got the Alpine Link but don't really like it. I'm thinking of going for the Sandmarc TI band:

That looks better to my eyes.

Reactions: JIke03 and Buadhai

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Is there a 49mm version of the Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop? The only sizes on the apple website is 40 and 44mm.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
my solo braided loops that fit fine with the series 7 now fit loose with the ultra so they've become useless...

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
The Ultra case is bigger hence non adjustable straps will be looser if previously used on 42/44/45mm Series watches.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Yeah, what @Pug72 said, you’ll have to drop down a size with a LOOP type band to have it fit the same as with a 44/45 case watch. It’s a bummer, but you get to Wear the ULTRA!

D1G1TALR0B0T

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Any updates on all those bands? Which one do you prefer in the long run?
I have been changing bands a lot as I am training for a few half marathons this year and a full marathon next year. At the moment the Alpine Loop is actually working out best for me. It’s comfortable, dries quickly and I like that it is more secure than the Trail Loop. I really like the Ocean Band but just find it a little less comfortable than the Alpine. The Alpine doesn't weigh much at all which is better for my training.

I’ve also been using a range of Nomad bands, they are good but just don’t use them much.

I’m on my second Alpine Loop as my first one had one of the loops fail (the stitching just came apart), so far no issues with the replacement.

rudit

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2023
Does anyone have the golden tip? I'm looking for a stainless steel or titanium watch strap where the coating doesn't wear off after a few months.. tried a few and all disappointments.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Does anyone have the golden tip? I'm looking for a stainless steel or titanium watch strap where the coating doesn't wear off after a few months.. tried a few and all disappointments.

I still have my Nomad Ti bracelet. I’ve worn it every day, all day since I got it. It is pricy, but I have no scratches, it looks as good as the day I got it.

Reactions: rudit

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Any updates on all those bands? Which one do you prefer in the long run?

I prefer the Trail Loop over Alpine Loop. Latter is always a little bit more difficult to take off and on.

Bought a Spigen Watch Band Lite Fit Ultra. It looks good and is comfortable. Is like a solo loop but in nylon. Only caveat for me is that I have to adjust it once a day as taking it off and on loosens it a little.

Hainzik

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2023
I only use metal straps. The first thing I bought was the Uniq Strova, which is very sturdy, thick and heavy. It looks very nice. The color is almost the same as AWU, only slightly more silvery. The second I bought was Lululook Titanium, which, on the other hand, is lighter, weaker, and narrows towards the buckle. The color is exactly the same as the AWU.

IMG_4717.jpeg

IMG_4713.jpeg

IMG_4719.jpeg

IMG_9585.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: macsplusmacs

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I’m going to buy an AWU to replace my Series 5 that has the magnetic Milanese band. I really like that band! Has anyone found something similar for the Ultra?

Edit - researched some more after posting the above. It looks like the band from my S5 should fit. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

Last edited:

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
If it's the 44mm size Series 5 then yes, it'll fit.
Careful with the strap touching the casing when taking on or off, could scratch.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

That one does look great. I got the LDFAS titanium band:

Someone recommended it here and it just arrived. So far I'm happy with it.

D1G1TALR0B0T

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I have been changing bands a lot as I am training for a few half marathons this year and a full marathon next year. At the moment the Alpine Loop is actually working out best for me. It’s comfortable, dries quickly and I like that it is more secure than the Trail Loop. I really like the Ocean Band but just find it a little less comfortable than the Alpine. The Alpine doesn't weigh much at all which is better for my training.

I’ve also been using a range of Nomad bands, they are good but just don’t use them much.

I’m on my second Alpine Loop as my first one had one of the loops fail (the stitching just came apart), so far no issues with the replacement.

I have now gone back to the Ocean Band.
The Alpine Loop has started fraying and after having one of the loops fail on my first Alpine Loop, which was replaced the durability is a concern. I am trusting the Ocean Band to last longer and not fall apart.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
My favorites, especially for workout and "active" activities are the Nike Sport Loops. There's something a little odd (to me) about the feeling of the Trail Loop fabrics. If I were limited to AWU bands, I'd pick the Ocean Band. I had originally wondered whether it would be uncomfortable because it's not ventilated like the Nike Sport Bands, but it's very comfortable, probably "breathing" between the circular segments.

Reactions: Baywatchboy

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
I found a nice wide silicone band on Amazon, 26mm wide so suits the ultra better. Good quality and not £13 for a pair, a black and orange one.
1c673351a59265446d3bdd6c7d56bc99.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.