Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I started walking when I got my Apple Watch.

Really got into it, but it soon became boring.

So I stopped.

I’m thinking of starting again, but changing my route. Even if it’s just around the block, until I fill my rings.

Can any fellow walkers please share ideas for making walking enjoyable?

Thanks.

PineappleSorbet

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
Worcestershire, U.K.
I can't see a location on your profile, but I'm assuming from the handle you're U.K. based?

Here are the apps I use for finding some not-so-publicised routes - great for exploring the outdoors/local areas.

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I can't see a location on your profile, but I'm assuming from the handle you're U.K. based?

Here are the apps I use for finding some not-so-publicised routes - great for exploring the outdoors/local areas.

Many thanks.

So you actually travel to a certain area, and then walk a trail?

I’ve only ever walked a route from where I’m at, and completed a “loop.”

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I'm getting older. I'm approaching my 40s. I spent most of my youth using jogging as a form of exercise (usually 2-3 times a week, maybe 1-2 miles).

Well, as I'm heavier and a lot less tolerant of 100F+ summers - I'm finding walking to be an AMAZING way of exercise. Last month, for the first time in my life, I walked half of the days of the month and ended up burning 2x the calories I normally do.

When I was jogging, 100% of my focus was on running as hard as I could so aggressive music was what I listened to.

Walking? For the first time in my life I'm listening to podcasts (religious, topics I find interesting) - helps the time go by really quickly. Working for me. lol.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I'm getting older. I'm approaching my 40s. I spent most of my youth using jogging as a form of exercise (usually 2-3 times a week, maybe 1-2 miles).

Well, as I'm heavier and a lot less tolerant of 100F+ summers - I'm finding walking to be an AMAZING way of exercise. Last month, for the first time in my life, I walked half of the days of the month and ended up burning 2x the calories I normally do.

When I was jogging, 100% of my focus was on running as hard as I could so aggressive music was what I listened to.

Walking? For the first time in my life I'm listening to podcasts (religious, topics I find interesting) - helps the time go by really quickly. Working for me. lol.
Thank, Mc.

I actually turned 50 last month!

I used to go gym & run, some years ago, but I ended up with a hernia, so that just shut me down.

Haven’t really been active since.

I presume you walk every day, now? Do you take the same route?

Wishing you well.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Thank, Mc.

I actually turned 50 last month!

I used to go gym & run, some years ago, but I ended up with a hernia, so that just shut me down.

Haven’t really been active since.

I presume you walk every day? Do you take the same route?

Wishing you well.
I walk around my house because I'm way too lazy to hop in the car and drive somewhere. I just have been walking around my neighborhood. Some weeks I'll walk every day, and other weeks I'll take breaks because of the heat here in Southern CA but also cuz of work.

2 days ago I walked 2.5 miles and needed a day of rest. If I walk ~2 miles I'm good to walk the next day without too much pain. (I'm a big guy). lol

Same to you - great posts/threads - thank you!

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I walk around my house because I'm way too lazy to hop in the car and drive somewhere. I just have been walking around my neighborhood. Some weeks I'll walk every day, and other weeks I'll take breaks because of the heat here in Southern CA but also cuz of work.

2 days ago I walked 2.5 miles and needed a day of rest. If I walk ~2 miles I'm good to walk the next day without too much pain. (I'm a big guy). lol

Same to you - great posts/threads - thank you!
Thank you too, for always contributing.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL

So I stopped.

I’m thinking of starting again, but changing my route. Even if it’s just around the block, until I fill my rings.

Thanks.
I walk 2 miles every morning and then more walking throughout the day to total somewhere between 6 and 7 miles on the day. I have a route to go through the neighborhood but when I get bored I change it up. If you don't have them, I would strongly suggest AirPods Pro (no wires, better sound) so you can listen to your favorite music or podcast. I try to have as much upbeat music that works with my walk cadence in my playlist to keep me going!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
@Night Spring I’m looking at you, my friend :).
:)

So one thing that helped me keep walking is to listen to Nike's guided runs as I walk. I think Apple Fitness has similar guides, but Nike's guided runs are free. It also helps that they have guides like "don't wanna run today run."

I also tell myself to just leave the house at least once a day, even if I just stand outside and take in the air. Once I'm outside I usually end up going for a walk.

I notice you keep saying you get bored, but the purpose of a walk isn't to keep you entertained, it's to get you healthy. Maybe if you concentrate on the health aspect?

Another idea is to see if there are any running/walking groups in your area you could join. There's a thread here where people post their step counts. Maybe posting "I walked xxxx steps today!" could motivate you to go for that walk?

• Love

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I have two circuits in the area where I live, and I alternate them each week.
Both are about 8 km, and I walk them as fast as possible, @ around a 9 min tempo.
Always in the morning, before breakfast.
During my walks, I constantly concentrate on breathing (4 steps IN, 8 steps OUT). No music, no podcast, just the sounds of nature.

When I get bored of my circuits, I simply walk them in the other direction.
BTW I'm 70 and do my best to stay in shape ;-)

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
:)

So one thing that helped me keep walking is to listen to Nike's guided runs as I walk. I think Apple Fitness has similar guides, but Nike's guided runs are free. It also helps that they have guides like "don't wanna run today run."

I also tell myself to just leave the house at least once a day, even if I just stand outside and take in the air. Once I'm outside I usually end up going for a walk.

I notice you keep saying you get bored, but the purpose of a walk isn't to keep you entertained, it's to get you healthy. Maybe if you concentrate on the health aspect?

Another idea is to see if there are any running/walking groups in your area you could join. There's a thread here where people post their step counts. Maybe posting "I walked xxxx steps today!" could motivate you to go for that walk?
Thanks, my friend.

But how do you listen to the Nike guided walk talks at the same time as doing an outdoor walk (app)?

Do the apps not clash?

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I have two circuits in the area where I live, and I alternate them each week.
Both are about 8 km, and I walk them as fast as possible, @ around a 9 min tempo.
Always in the morning, before breakfast.
During my walks, I constantly concentrate on breathing (4 steps IN, 8 steps OUT). No music, no podcast, just the sounds of nature.

When I get bored of my circuits, I simply walk them in the other direction.
BTW I'm 70 and do my best to stay in shape ;-)
Good for you, and well done!

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I walk 2 miles every morning and then more walking throughout the day to total somewhere between 6 and 7 miles on the day. I have a route to go through the neighborhood but when I get bored I change it up. If you don't have them, I would strongly suggest AirPods Pro (no wires, better sound) so you can listen to your favorite music or podcast. I try to have as much upbeat music that works with my walk cadence in my playlist to keep me going!
Thanks, and I do actually have AirPods Pro.

When I used to walk, I had cellular on my watch, so I’d listen to radio.

I’ve disabled cellular now, as I don’t use it, but I can still use my iPhone & will try listening to some podcasts instead.

By the way, a great podcast to listen to is James Obrien’s Mystery Hour. There are hundreds of shows available, and it’s very entertaining.

Wishing you well.

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
It depends what kind of walk. If I'm trying to maintain a brisk pace to maximize cardio benefit, I much prefer upbeat music to podcasts and talk. When I'm walking at a relaxed pace, I'll listen to podcasts or just talk with friends/family on the phone.

philstubbington

macrumors 6502

So I stopped.

Thanks.
Time To Walk on Apple Fitness? Otherwise podcasts mostly.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks, my friend.

But how do you listen to the Nike guided walk talks at the same time as doing an outdoor walk (app)?

Do the apps not clash?
They used to work perfectly well together, Nike on the phone and walking workout on the watch. But since I got my S8, the walking workout keeps getting shut off if I try to run the Nike app at the same time. I'm not sure if it's the S8 or watch OS 9, but something changed.

Walks/runs done with the Nike app do show up as workouts, and Nike has a function in their app where you can scroll through your walk and see what your heart rate was at particular points in your walk. But it doesn't have the heart zone graphs you get with Apple's workout.

Plus, long story but I don't have waterproof earphones at the moment. So I haven't been using the Nike app in a while. Also my partner's taken to come on the walks with me most days. But seeing your question made me think I do miss the Nike guided runs. If/when I update to watch OS 10, I'll certainly be trying to see if Nike and Apple workout play well together again.

• Love

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
They used to work perfectly well together, Nike on the phone and walking workout on the watch. But since I got my S8, the walking workout keeps getting shut off if I try to run the Nike app at the same time. I'm not sure if it's the S8 or watch OS 9, but something changed.

Walks/runs done with the Nike app do show up as workouts, and Nike has a function in their app where you can scroll through your walk and see what your heart rate was at particular points in your walk. But it doesn't have the heart zone graphs you get with Apple's workout.

Plus, long story but I don't have waterproof earphones at the moment. So I haven't been using the Nike app in a while. Also my partner's taken to come on the walks with me most days. But seeing your question made me think I do miss the Nike guided runs. If/when I update to watch OS 10, I'll certainly be trying to see if Nike and Apple workout play well together again.
Thanks for the information.

I never thought of running both apps on different devices, I just thought you did it all through the watch.

When I restart my walking, I’ll also give it a try and feed back.

Can you listen to a podcast on the iPhone, at the same time as doing an outdoor walk on the watch?

I wish I’d worn my watch (I’m at my nan’s) as I actually miss it. Have something to do on Monday, so may pop home to get it.

Another question for you (as I know you’re the walking queen!): Do you still go for your walks when it’s raining, or snowing? It would be a shame to build up a good routine, only to have it stopped in the winter.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks for the information.

I never thought of running both apps on different devices, I just thought you did it all through the watch.

When I restart my walking, I’ll also give it a try and feed back.

Can you listen to a podcast on the iPhone, at the same time as doing an outdoor walk on the watch?
Sure, I've done that. I think you should be able to run a workout and listen to a podcast all just from the watch, I've just never bothered to try because I always take my phone with me on my walks so I can take pictures.

I wish I’d worn my watch (I’m at my nan’s) as I actually miss it. Have something to do on Monday, so may pop home to get it.

Another question for you (as I know you’re the walking queen!): Do you still go for your walks when it’s raining, or snowing? It would be a shame to build up a good routine, only to have it stopped in the winter.
Now I have Dancing Queen running through my head! ;p

and yes, I do try to walk even with snow/rain. As I said, even just to pop out and walk up and down the block for a minute. I find the weather app helpful in finding times when the rain/snow stops or is lighter. It will often give you notice like "rain stopping in 10 minutes," or you can open the app and it shows how much rain is expected in the next hour.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
One thing I've found is walking in the woods or some other natural area to be more enjoyable than around town.

I'm also one of the weirdos that has a treadmill desk, which I have to say, I absolutely love. Every morning I hop on that thing for one to two hours -- check my email, read the news, watch some YouTube, even do some work. It always perks me up -- I call it my morning coffee. And the weather is always perfect...

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Sure, I've done that. I think you should be able to run a workout and listen to a podcast all just from the watch, I've just never bothered to try because I always take my phone with me on my walks so I can take pictures.

Now I have Dancing Queen running through my head! ;p

and yes, I do try to walk even with snow/rain. As I said, even just to pop out and walk up and down the block for a minute. I find the weather app helpful in finding times when the rain/snow stops or is lighter. It will often give you notice like "rain stopping in 10 minutes," or you can open the app and it shows how much rain is expected in the next hour.
Many thanks, and wishing you well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.