Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
How about a kinetic charger like in Seiko watches - very environmentally friendly and handy when your battery is low and you're out and about ???

It sounds good. Like a solar panel on an electric car, but in both cases, the amount of power generated would be tiny. For the Watch the charger would add noticable bulk. The mechanical seikos only use those because their power requirements are minuscule.

If your Watch battery gets low, put it in low power mode and enable “theatre mode” to turn off the display except when tapped. That will give you several hours more of usage. Hopefully enough to reach a charger.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
Are people taking crazy pills or just not thinking?

The current watch bands already use a magnetic attachment system. When you push in the back button, it pushes out the magnet. I assumed that the new magnet would be used in a somewhat similar way to latch in the band, but taking much less room. People seem to think the magnet would the only attachment to the watch, and that doesn't make any sense to me because it would just pop off when playing sports.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I bet they will simply redesign the watch with a thinner version of the Apple Watch Ultra aesthetic.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I’ll be frustrating for those with large strap collections but it has been 10 years with the same strap connector. If they can redesign it so that it is better and gives a significant jump in battery life, it might be worth it. If you look at the case, the strap connector takes up a lot of room.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I’ll be frustrating for those with large strap collections but it has been 10 years with the same strap connector. If they can redesign it so that it is better and gives a significant jump in battery life, it might be worth it. If you look at the case, the strap connector takes up a lot of room.
It does take up a lot of room but I still don’t believe it’s worth it to change the connector. Imagine the millions of pounds of straps and bands that will end up in landfills.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.