Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Put the battery in the band please, and make it easy and fast to switch to a fully charged band. We could thus wear the watch 24/7, except a couple minutes to switch bands (only once per day if a 24+ hour battery). I suppose you'd still need a tiny battery in the watch to keep things alive when switching bands.
It's a good idea but would require a new band attachment. The prospect of that seems to really trigger a lot of people around here.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
It looks no different to my eyes to be honest. The screen got a little bit closer to the edge but aesthetically it looks the same to me.
The overall look is similar but the series 7 screen is noticeably larger in about the same case size.

there have been 4 designs for the Watch.
Series 0-3 - o.g.
Series 4-6 - bigger screen
Series 7-8 - bigger, smaller bezels
Ultra - diggers, flat screen, action button.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The overall look is similar but the series 7 screen is noticeably larger in about the same case size.

there have been 4 designs for the Watch.
Series 0-3 - o.g.
Series 4-6 - bigger screen
Series 7-8 - bigger, smaller bezels
Ultra - diggers, flat screen, action button.

I wouldn’t class the minutely bigger screen as a redesign though, it’s not an obvious aesthetic change.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I wouldn’t class the minutely bigger screen as a redesign though, it’s not an obvious aesthetic change.
It's not a radical change but within the limited range of Watch changes, the series 7 screen was noticeable.

We'll see whether Apple decides to push things a little more when the series 10 lands.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
I'm not a fan of a new magnetic band because I think given the right amount of force, it would fail. Secondly I have a lot of money invested in the current bands.

Apple hasn't given me a reason to upgrade my series 5. What I would upgrade for:
  • round design (I think they look better IMO)
  • camera on the watch (the only thing keeping me from leaving my phone at home)
  • much thinner design
  • insane improvement in battery life
Mostly Apple needs to create a third party watch face store. I keep debating about getting a Fossil watch because of its customization.

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
I don’t have a lot of faith that the Apple Watch X is going to be sensibly priced even if I did hold off. I could well wait and the £419 the series 8 is currently will revolve into a £600 watch and I don’t see the value in that for a smartwatch. Everything Apple seem to make lately is inflating in price and at this point I may still buy a series 8 when the 9 comes out just to get some satisfaction out of it.

The rumours suggest the X will be released for the 10th anniversary in 2025 so I’d have to stretch my series 5 to another 2 years of use. Right now when I go for a morning run, I have to put the Watch back on charge because it rinses the battery, much like if I use the heart rate monitor. I’ve had to disable AOD as I can’t get the watch to last into the evening with it turned on. Sure it works still as a basic watch but the battery is awful for anything intensive.
Your battery must be really degraded. I run in the AM too, then get home and shower and put the watch on the charger. That’s enough to get me through the day as then 2 hours at the gym in the evenings. My battery is at 80% of original.

I suggest getting the battery replaced and saving the $. Watch should easily last you another 2 years.

Reactions: Tagbert

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
hmm my latest apple watch 9 lasts like 4 hours
Doing what? That is hard to believe unless you are somehow using it to play a video game and drive and external monitor. (Is the fact that it is an imaginary Watch version that hadn’t been released a factor? 😊)

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
And you never will. There is no "iWatch" only the "Apple Watch". Apple has not brought out new products with the "I" designation for 10 years or more.
Hope springs eternal. This very site is telling us we might be getting a new iPhone in a month or so. 📲

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
My least favorite thing about the apple watch is the watch bands seem to either be uncomfortable (The one sold with the watch) or slip off and loosen easily. I always find myself taking off the watch almost immediately after I do the ring goals for the day. Am I doing it wrong or are there such things as the perfect apple watch band.

Going outside the Apple Universe, I use a Spiedel Twist-O-Flex band on my Apple Watch Ultra. But that has always been my favorite watch band since I started wearing watches about sixty yers ago.

JaimeTeran

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2023
Santiago, Chile
The ultimate feature for an Apple Watch X is to bring, like complications, another feature that real watches have: automatic winding from the wrist. Or some way of getting enough power from the wrist to work, at least to tell the hour.

Reactions: segfaultdotorg

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
And you never will. There is no "iWatch" only the "Apple Watch". Apple has not brought out new products with the "I" designation for 10 years or more.
They're also coming out with the iVision Pro VR goggles, or iThink Pro, I can't remember what they're called.

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
The ultimate feature for an Apple Watch X is to bring, like complications, another feature that real watches have: automatic winding from the wrist. Or some way of getting enough power from the wrist to work, at least to tell the hour.
They could call it the iRolex!

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
So thinner probably means the same 18-hour battery life. Or maybe they will spoil us with 20 hours...
I've just done what I do most mornings, take my AW8 off and put it on charge. Almost exactly 24 hours after doing so yesterday. Battery at approx. 50%. Simple arithmetic implies a 48 hour life. But we know it progressively shuts down as battery gets low. So less than that in terms of remaining fully active, but longer than that as time to shutdown.

Unless they can improve it to a full week, it is probably just fine as it is. Every other day, or every third day, really doesn't help because we then have a schedule to worry about rather than it being a simple every day action. Just provides a better cushion if we miss a charge or forget to take charger with us when away from home.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I've just done what I do most mornings, take my AW8 off and put it on charge. Almost exactly 24 hours after doing so yesterday. Battery at approx. 50%. Simple arithmetic implies a 48 hour life.

Not everyone has the same usage. I charge mine fully each morning. This morning I recorded a walk of 8.5km, it's down to 74%, that will be 50% by late in the day then 25-30% after my walk later. So I will need to charge it again tonight. Twice in one day.

Tomorrow with a different workout schedule it does a bit better not much.

On my rest day, it does last as you suggest and that is fine but it just doesn't last that well for active people like me. Having a battery that would at least get me through a full 2 or 3-day timeframe would be a big benefit to save on the number of times it has to be charged and not have to take a charging cable with you just in case.

il_teo77

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
Switzerland
Long overdue redesign. And I like the one shown in the post A LOT. I am rocking my series 5 and have an abysmal battery health (just below 75%) up to the series 8 I never saw any real benefit in upgrading for what I use my watch for.
Recently I subscribed to Fitness+ and the coaching function while running really takes the CPU, as well as when you do exercises in front of the AppleTV. I really feel the CPU slowness. So I am curious to see the Series 9 with the new CPU (which is also LONG OVERDUE) and will decide then. If I like what I see (battery, CPU, and the color BLACK) then I might purchase it. Otherwise I'll just spend approx 70 USD and replace the battery in mine until next year. Especially because I can still have the latest WatchOS version on mine.

The Ultra is way too expensive for my use case (and I have a family of 4 so there are other "spending" priorities).

A black Ultra with a new CPU though will be really really hard to avoid.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Based on how piss poor the AW's heartrate accuracy is I would be hesitant to trust blood pressure readings, although we have no idea what technology they will be using. I agree on their fitness app, although recovery and things like heart rate variability are really poorly understood and no one really has a compelling model. I was on that HRV bandwagon for a few years and didn't find either the accuracy, or whatever model they used to judge recovery, very useful. Would love to see Apple take that up and become the leader.

Piss poor? Measurements done by The Quantified Scientist on YouTube seem to disagree with that. Also what I've checked with my Polar H10, the AW sensor has been really close if not spot on. At least I would like blood pressure measurement for the same reason I use it on my Galaxy Watch, i.e. to see if there's a reason to check more closely with my Omron.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I'm not a fan of a new magnetic band because I think given the right amount of force, it would fail. Secondly I have a lot of money invested in the current bands.

I really hope the magnetic part is only to replace the current band release latch and there's still a more or less similar groove that's wider inside to guard against direct pull. If it relies on magnet only to keep the watch on during sports and such, I'll pass.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Piss poor? Measurements done by The Quantified Scientist on YouTube seem to disagree with that. Also what I've checked with my Polar H10, the AW sensor has been really close if not spot on. At least I would like blood pressure measurement for the same reason I use it on my Galaxy Watch, i.e. to see if there's a reason to check more closely with my Omron.

Piss poor in my usage, I can't comment on results others are getting. Any activity with rapidly changing HR is awful, it takes at least 5-10 seconds, sometimes more, for HR to catch up with HIIT type activities (and often it's just searching) and makes it useless, I have to resort to using a much less comfortable chest strap. I also regularly check my HR on my AW against my high end SOLE treadmills hand grip HR sensors as well as a HR strap directly on my chest and I can't say I ever found them matching, and often wildly different. There are even times when I get no HR measurement for several minutes! This is pretty random and has happened with different workout types, MMA, HIIT, steady state, weight lifting, etc. I've noticed these deficiencies across several generations starting from an AW3 to my current AW Ultra.

For steady state where HR is averaged, and possibly for health overall I'm sure the HR in the AW is fine, but for HIIT it's beyond terrible, even Apple advises this. From what I understand the AW measures HR every 5 seconds then averages this. This makes sense as a few studies found that it loses accuracy the more strenuous the activity, with good accuracy while walking but getting worse going to jogging and then running, and that was steady state not HIIT. With that said it's not that I'm particularly blaming Apple, maybe the technology just isn't there yet. But I do know that a few years ago I was using a forearm mounted Scosche bluetooth band that was just as accurate as a chest band so I'm not sure if the wrist placement is what makes such measurement difficult. It's interesting to note that the cited study thought possibly decreasing accuracy was because increasing arm movements might have caused movement artifacts, but that wouldn't jive with my own experience with the Scosche band. They also speculate the possibility of Apple's algorithm possibly throwing out "physiologically implausible" readings, interesting.

⌚️ Apple Watch X

The Apple Watch Series X is set to be unveiled in 2024/2025. ⌚️

- A redesigned, slimmer chassis
- A blood pressure sensor
- A new magnetic band system (older bands will NOT work)
- New vibrant microLED displays

1694307477969.png

Credit: Supercharged

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Be interesting is the Apple Watch Series X is the flat-edged watch Jon Prosser saw and presumed at the time would be the Series 7 (and was a fair bit different from the eventual Apple Watch Ultra).

Reactions: _Spinn_ and Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.