Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Apple Watch feature requests:

No iPhone dependency. Ideally, standalone, although I could live with Mac dependency.
Camera to read QR-codes and more.
Safari as standard visible application (not hidden as now is).

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
I hope they don't get sidetracked on magnetic bands. The current system works really well, so why break it?

Would welcome blood pressure monitoring, as well as Apple making more use of temperature monitoring and upgrading the processor to a more power efficient unit for battery life. But honestly there's not a huge amount to be done on the hardware side. They could always add ANT+ which would be wonderful but I don't suppose they ever will.

The software side is where the focus should be at. The fitness app is a joke. Athlytic, Gentler Streak and HealthFit all smoke it in different ways, and all have features Apple will want if they are to compete with Garmin -- things like recovery analysis, advice on workouts and monitoring whether you are over or under-doing it or have it just right. Overall apps ought to be more integrated and work a bit more reliably.

sherthang

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
I don’t see how a company so focused on health and using reminders hasn’t added a UV sensor for realtime monitoring and notification when to reapply sunscreen. The technology has been out a while and skin cancer is a major health issue in the USA (and around the world). I got the ultra and scuba dive. That pert of the experience was great but I’m out on the ocean and would sure like to know the UV

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Ahhh. So that’s why we skipped the iPhone 9!! And here is me thinking tech companies just don’t like 9. Microsoft skipped windows 9 too.
Technically the numbering is all over the place, the iPhone 10 was for the tenth year this list excludes se and colour models and variants and sticks to primary release models.
2007 01: iPhone
2008 02: iPhone 3G
2009 03: iPhone 3GS
2010 04: iPhone 4
2011 05: iPhone 4S
2012 06: iPhone 5
2013 07: iPhone 5S
2014 08: iPhone 6
2015 09: iPhone 6S
2016 10: iPhone 7
2017 11: iPhone 8 and 10

JungeQuex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
can you really see that happening?

1) I’m pretttyyyy sure Apple wouldn’t introduce a worse, weaker system. pretty sure they’re testing / have tested it.

2) I don’t see how swinging something heavy like a sledge hammer (even someone really strong) would force the band to fly off.

the only thing that would really affect it is if you catch the band on an object and it gets yanked. which is probably not common at all. or at least, more common then a heavy rigorous activity lol.
Yes I can see it happening lmao. Magnets are flat out not as strong as the current system period. I know because I’ve had magnet failures in several cases with much less stress. You just don’t know what you’re talking about, but that’s not surprising on this forum.

• Haha
Reactions: PantherKang

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Yes I can see it happening lmao. Magnets are flat out not as strong as the current system period. I know because I’ve had magnet failures in several cases with much less stress. You just don’t know what you’re talking about, but that’s not surprising on this forum.
I mean… I’m not Magnet P.I. like yourself, but maybe it’s a system that isn’t just magnets? It could be a magnet + another mechanism.

I “may not know anything”, but that applies to you as well since you also don’t know Apple’s plan(s).

But like you said… that’s not surprising on this forum. 🤙🏾

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
While likely uncommon… I was hiking one time, slid on some loose, sandy terrain toward a 20’ drop. The only thing that prevented a ridiculous tumble was that my AW band got snagged on a branch - still have a nasty 3” scar from the branch cutting into my wrist before catching on the band. So… That happened. 😂

Anyway, if Apple is working on some new, magnet-based system for connecting bands to watches, I’m going to assume it will be nothing like MagSafe - which is designed to break away when specific tension/angle is applied/reached. I had a 2001 white iBook. Its power cable was entangled in the arm of my desk chair. I pushed away from my desk and the laptop slammed to the ground, screen and keyboard slamming onto concrete. The broke art school graduate was sad. I like to think my subsequent letter to Apple about a breakaway cable had done small measure of influence on MagSafe. 🤪
daamnn both of those situations are rough! 😂

let’s see what they come up with. I’m curious.

Reactions: lazyrighteye

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
And that completely arbitrary restriction is why I am absolutely sick of Apple. While I could care less about torrenting on my watch, arbitrary restrictions by GiantCorpTM, on something I OWN are BS.

I am not a child, and I will no longer be treated like one by Apple.

In before the “muh battery life muh Apple experience” apology shills.
Today eeeeverything someone doesn’t like “is ********”. Apple creates the watch, provides an SDK and you can create applications for it. Since you own the hardware, of course you can break the T&C, jailbreak it and do whatever you want - many people do it! But don’t expect Apple to develop products to each individual person wishes. I have a very intelligent “connected” dishwasher, I’m sure someone would like to develop apps for it, but in this case that’s not even possible! And I don’t read people ranting online “because they own it”.

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
How about, “XX”.?

I don’t want to add another X.

XXX just sounds weird. It's 2023, what this world has come to. Take me back to the later 90’s. 🥴

*sigh* I hate the letter X now.

iPhone and watch 30 gonna have interesting names.😳
But what about the macOS X many moons ago?

Jaguar_on_G4.png

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I hope they don't get sidetracked on magnetic bands. The current system works really well, so why break it?

Would welcome blood pressure monitoring, as well as Apple making more use of temperature monitoring and upgrading the processor to a more power efficient unit for battery life. But honestly there's not a huge amount to be done on the hardware side. They could always add ANT+ which would be wonderful but I don't suppose they ever will.

The software side is where the focus should be at. The fitness app is a joke. Athlytic, Gentler Streak and HealthFit all smoke it in different ways, and all have features Apple will want if they are to compete with Garmin -- things like recovery analysis, advice on workouts and monitoring whether you are over or under-doing it or have it just right. Overall apps ought to be more integrated and work a bit more reliably.

Based on how piss poor the AW's heartrate accuracy is I would be hesitant to trust blood pressure readings, although we have no idea what technology they will be using. I agree on their fitness app, although recovery and things like heart rate variability are really poorly understood and no one really has a compelling model. I was on that HRV bandwagon for a few years and didn't find either the accuracy, or whatever model they used to judge recovery, very useful. Would love to see Apple take that up and become the leader.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
My least favorite thing about the apple watch is the watch bands seem to either be uncomfortable (The one sold with the watch) or slip off and loosen easily. I always find myself taking off the watch almost immediately after I do the ring goals for the day. Am I doing it wrong or are there such things as the perfect apple watch band.

• Haha
Reactions: PantherKang

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I would like a rectangle watch, that is, the display that is longer along the wrist , maybe a 4:3 ratio. The width of the wrist is small but the arm is longer, a digital watch can make use of this. Would like for Aple to think out-of-the-box on this.
Looks like Samsung already beat Apple to the punch.
1692549600020.jpeg

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
I’m just not feeling all that confident about the new band system. I probably have 30 bands, in just about every (ahem) traditionally masculine color, material, and style you might be able to imagine. The best 3 I have are the leather bands by Hank’s Leather; got one each in Black, Olive, and Brown. The brown one was looking a bit worse for wear, so last week I cleaned it up with some saddle soap and then I put a couple new layers of Hank’s polish on it. Damn, it looks absolutely NEW NEW NEW now, except for one of the rivets where the black paint has worn off to reveal a brass-color underneath.

They are also the most expensive, but are warranties for 99 years, I believe. I wasn’t expecting to be able to use them as far out as Apple Watch 45, but you know…for Watch 10, I should damned well not have to replace those bands just yet.

My watch 4 may be ready to retire soon. But it’s still going strong, as is its younger brother the Watch 6. Thinking about getting an Ultra. May have to move that plan to the left a bit so that I can get one that doesn’t break my watch band ecosystem.

Yes, the band system is maybe more important to me than the new features a new version of the Watch may have. It’s less about the money and more about me not wanting to suddenly generate more silicone, leather, and metal waste, or at least not to generate it so soon. A good silicone watch band should last 20 years, and an expertly made leather band should last 50 years.

zenwave

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2018
I surf several times a week with my Apple Watch... lost one because the sport band unclasped, now I always switch to the Solo Loop which is perfect.

The idea of a magnetically attached band worries me - I think I would end up donating another watch to the Pacific Ocean.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Using the Apple Watch, I’m so healthy now that I no longer need to monitor my blood pressure or glucose levels. So I won’t need to upgrade until I’m quite a bit older. So, uh, jokes on you Apple!! I mean, thanks?

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
The rumors are vague about how magnets are involved and whether they are really going to do this. We will see.

Obviously using magnets to hold the band to the watch would not be strong enough by its self. What would be strong would be using a simple mechanical catch that is held in place by magnets or is aligned by magnets. That way you have the strength of a mechanical connection but are just using the magnets to hold that mechanical component in place.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
not buying the case redesign nor the magnetic bands ...
a total new redesign came last year with the Ultra and they could have used that model for a new band design - they didn't. Apple themselves have offered over 20 different band styles, they make a boatload of money from what they have today.

But, we have only a few more weeks to go to find out what Apple has to say!
I think Apple is experimenting with new types of bands and might, at some point, introduce a Watch that features a new type of band connection mechanism.

But I struggle to see what Apple can change on that front.

Maybe it’s some mechanism where you lock and unlock the band via Settings and some magnet mechanism will either lock it in or push it out?

Apple likes to over engineer these kinds of things. And maybe a “digital lock” for bands would make it easier and faster to switch bands?

Could possibly also be a way to implement serial numbers into bands and block third parties from making them without paying Apple a MFaw (Made for Apple Watch) fee?

I can see the potential.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.