Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I know this is MacRumors and rumors are what I should expect when I check it out. But rumors for 2024 or 2025 when we are nearing the September announcements make me a bit sad. This year I'm also in a position where I probably am getting both an iPhone and a Watch that gets announced. My 12 mini suffered a bit of water damage and doesn't swipe up anymore, so I'm using accessibility button to get to Home Screen, and my Watch is a Series 6 that could use either a battery replacement or a full replacement. So I'm basically getting what Apple is selling in September and won't be getting anything in 2024 or 2025.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
If they create a watch that does not take the old bands, they will automatically be creating millions of pieces of eventual junk. They should really keep the bands compatible.

Reactions: staggerlee41

JungeQuex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Magnetic band system sounds like a good way to have it fall off under rigorous activity. With the current system at least you can do something like swing a sledge hammer during a demo and not have it fly off. With sudden heavy movements with stopping I could see a magnetic system flying off.

imtoretto

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2023
not buying the case redesign nor the magnetic bands ...
a total new redesign came last year with the Ultra and they could have used that model for a new band design - they didn't. Apple themselves have offered over 20 different band styles, they make a boatload of money from what they have today.

But, we have only a few more weeks to go to find out what Apple has to say!
i couldn't agreed more with ya!
im still using my series 6 and honestly i only wear it just because i want to make my money worth it but i only look a it when i get a notification lol i don't see myself buying another AW because my phone does everything and plus i'm considering moving to the Samsung gaalxy too.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
you are correct, didn't even think of that cause as of this morning MR still calls them by the old name (Twitter) - I would be absolutely shocked if Apple were to use the "X" for any new product (macOS excluded)

I don't think we should let Elon take X from us. It has a hell of a lot of history pre-dating him. I usually don't bother with these social trends but we seriously should just to continue to refer to it as "the company formerly known as Twitter." At least Meta's ridiculous rebranding didn't actually affect the product names.

Reactions: arkitect

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Magnetic band system sounds like a good way to have it fall off under rigorous activity. With the current system at least you can do something like swing a sledge hammer during a demo and not have it fly off. With sudden heavy movements with stopping I could see a magnetic system flying off.
can you really see that happening?

1) I’m pretttyyyy sure Apple wouldn’t introduce a worse, weaker system. pretty sure they’re testing / have tested it.

2) I don’t see how swinging something heavy like a sledge hammer (even someone really strong) would force the band to fly off.

the only thing that would really affect it is if you catch the band on an object and it gets yanked. which is probably not common at all. or at least, more common then a heavy rigorous activity lol.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
How did Apple NOT trademark X in a larger context, after all the times they have used it.
Now it's ruined after twitter changed its name to X

So please Apple be more innovative now, X is dead.
Meta, Microsoft, and others did. (Haven't checked what Apple did.)

Yet Musk still did what he did,

lewchenko

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
All the talk about Watch 2024/25 is really tanking my desire to upgrade to a 9 this year. To be fair , it will probably be the exact same Watch as the 7 and 8 before it but with a slightly faster CPU that nobody will notice.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
It will be tempting, certainly.

I have been questioning the purchase of an Apple Watch during the past few years, but never pulled the trigger because of the short battery life. I’m not sure about having another device to charge at night.

However, since the introduction of the oxygen sensor, I’ve felt more tempted of getting one.

If the Apple Watch X has the shape John Prosser leaked, better battery life, and the smaller size is not too big (I don’t like big watches), maybe I will get one.
I charge my AW8 in the morning (mostly). Doesn't take very long. Even if I forget, the watch lasts till bedtime - about 36 hours.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Apple is about to do it again, with the Vision category... enter an existing market and take the lead.

I remember walking past "Smart Watch" sellers, mostly Samsung gear, prior to the Apple Watch, and never seeing myself get one. It's amazing how the Apple Watch catapulted itself to the front of the pack by being the best of the breed.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It will be tempting, certainly.

I have been questioning the purchase of an Apple Watch during the past few years, but never pulled the trigger because of the short battery life. I’m not sure about having another device to charge at night.

However, since the introduction of the oxygen sensor, I’ve felt more tempted of getting one.

If the Apple Watch X has the shape John Prosser leaked, better battery life, and the smaller size is not too big (I don’t like big watches), maybe I will get one.

The magnetic charger makes keeping the watch battery charged a joy. Snap-on, snap-off. It's not difficult to adjust to.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
the only thing that would really affect it is if you catch the band on an object and it gets yanked. which is probably not common at all. or at least, more common then a heavy rigorous activity lol.
While likely uncommon… I was hiking one time, slid on some loose, sandy terrain toward a 20’ drop. The only thing that prevented a ridiculous tumble was that my AW band got snagged on a branch - still have a nasty 3” scar from the branch cutting into my wrist before catching on the band. So… That happened. 😂

Anyway, if Apple is working on some new, magnet-based system for connecting bands to watches, I’m going to assume it will be nothing like MagSafe - which is designed to break away when specific tension/angle is applied/reached. I had a 2001 white iBook. Its power cable was entangled in the arm of my desk chair. I pushed away from my desk and the laptop slammed to the ground, screen and keyboard slamming onto concrete. The broke art school graduate was sad. I like to think my subsequent letter to Apple about a breakaway cable had done small measure of influence on MagSafe. 🤪

Last edited:

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
All the talk about Watch 2024/25 is really tanking my desire to upgrade to a 9 this year. To be fair , it will probably be the exact same Watch as the 7 and 8 before it but with a slightly faster CPU that nobody will notice.
I think both the iPhone 15 Pro and Series 9 are worth skipping if you have an iPhone or Apple Watch that was released in 2020 or later. More significant design changes are coming for the 16 Pro and Series X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.