Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yurgrenn

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2023
foremost reason for bigger battery is to compensate for brighter screen which is no doubt expected to be there
and then maybe
plus few additional hours

Reactions: Alex Cai

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
If it comes with a fully functional browser, and they get rid of all the development restrictions, so developers can finally exploit the hardware, I'll reconsider. Otherwise I could just strap on my old series 3, that I found worthless compared to all the trouble of keeping it charged daily, and has been left tossed in a drawer for years - it would be exactly the same experience: charge watch, charge watch, charge watch, charge watch.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
If it comes with a fully functional browser, and they get rid of all the development restrictions, so developers can finally exploit the hardware, I'll reconsider.
Fully functional browser via bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

The developer SDK is in the process of being redone for the watch (SwiftUI started as the replacement for WatchKit). That said, you will likely never be able to publish a Bittorrent superseeder for the wrist.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
Over the Apple Watch. I wear it only for workouts. Tired of the boring black square on my wrist that everyone else has. I like my watch collection. Apple could lure me back if they stepped up the design and offered several different styles. I’m thinking we won’t see that though…
What are you thinking of in terms of different designs - rounded bezel vs chamfered edges?

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I’ve owned a 2nd, 4th, 6th, and Ultra and I am probably going back to mechanical watches in the near future. I don’t use it enough to justify and I mute more notifications than I pay attention to.
That’s a bit like how I felt about my last mechanical watch. Couldn’t see a reason to keep wearing it so I tossed it. Didn’t wear any watch for several years but eventually did get a Watch. It’s been one of the most useful devices I ever got. Though I do have most notifications disabled. I have more important things to do than respond to most notices.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
The day Apple renders all the existing bands obsolete is the day I’ll be totally done with Apple. It’s bad enough with the phone cases.
While it is true that most new iPhones aren’t the same size and do require a new case if you choose a case, it has been 9 years since Apple brought out their band design and they have kept it the same all of that time. That’s pretty conservative. Doesn’t seem “bad” at all.

Reactions: kltmom

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I'd be very happy to see a smaller watch. Someone close to me has a very fine wrist. (Two of them, actually!) The small AW looks and feels wrong.

Is it possible that a new strap attachment could pave the way to an altogether smaller device? (For those who want them! Let everyone have the size they want.)

Reactions: klasma

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
It will be tempting, certainly.

I have been questioning the purchase of an Apple Watch during the past few years, but never pulled the trigger because of the short battery life. I’m not sure about having another device to charge at night.

However, since the introduction of the oxygen sensor, I’ve felt more tempted of getting one.

If the Apple Watch X has the shape John Prosser leaked, better battery life, and the smaller size is not too big (I don’t like big watches), maybe I will get one.

I agree with all of that except for one caution based on my experience. I bought my first Apple Watch during the pandemic and the oxygen sensor was one of the 2 big motivations for me (the other was the ability to do Apple Pay via my Watch so that I didn't have to mess with my mask to get FaceID to recognise me - this was before Apple did the software update to address the FaceID/mask issue). Anyway, my experience is that the oxygen sensor is horrendously inaccurate to the point of being little more than toy. My automatic readings are sometimes down at the mid 80% level and when I do a manual reading with my wrist very still and oriented as Apple recommends I often get something like a 95% reading but when I immediately repeat the reading I get a 99% or 100% reading. An at least reasonably accurate and reliable oxygen sensor is something that I would still like to have, and maybe like Apple did with the heartrate sensor they will incorporate a version 2 improved sensor for oxygen saturation at some point, but for the current implementation based on my series 7 experiences I would caution you to set your expectations appropriately re that particular feature.

Despite that caveat I do love my Apple Watch and would still wholeheartedly recommend it.

I like the look of this rumoured redesign but I really hope they can also manage to incorporate an action button into the non-Ultra models. I'd find it really useful to have another 3 actions/apps that I could get to quickly (single, double and long press on the action button) for things like Shazam and starting a workout where they aren't used enough for me to want to waste a complication on them but are used frequently enough that it would be nice to have a way to get to them directly without needing to go through menus.

I also get frustrated by having multiple devices that I need to keep charged but on battery life for me 18 hours gets me through a day and a 25% or even 50% increase to 27 hours wouldn't really affect my use pattern, I would still need to charge my watch every night. If Apple can't get to multi-day battery life any time soon then I would love it if Apple could allow the Watch to be charged with a regular wireless charger. Aat least that would be one less thing to pack when travelling and, if forgotten, it is much easier to borrow or buy a regular wireless charger at your destination vs trying to find an Apple Watch charger. Maybe there are technical issues with getting and keeping an Apple Watch in the correct position on a regular wireless charger although airpods and other wireless earbud charging cases seem OK with that so the cynic in me wonders whether having the different chargers is more to do with Apple wanting to maximise its accessory revenue.

JMO1

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2017
The magnetic band would have to be really really strong. Imagine swimming, surfing, diving, or any active sport and your watch keeps falling off (loss of in the ocean). That would be the quickest way to ensure I’d never buy another one

Reactions: Shirasaki and xDKP

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
A magnetic band system wouldn’t work too good if there wasn’t a lock on system. Can’t imagine being on a ride or bike and bumping it on something and it going flying off my wrist.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
The magnetic band would have to be really really strong. Imagine swimming, surfing, diving, or any active sport and your watch keeps falling off (loss of in the ocean). That would be the quickest way to ensure I’d never buy another one
Funny I should have read the last post before your comment. Yeah I agree it would only work if it was magnetized to the watch but has a lock on system that locks it into place

Reactions: Shirasaki and xDKP

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Fully functional browser via bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

The developer SDK is in the process of being redone for the watch (SwiftUI started as the replacement for WatchKit). That said, you will likely never be able to publish a Bittorrent superseeder for the wrist.
And that completely arbitrary restriction is why I am absolutely sick of Apple. While I could care less about torrenting on my watch, arbitrary restrictions by GiantCorpTM, on something I OWN are BS.

I am not a child, and I will no longer be treated like one by Apple.

In before the “muh battery life muh Apple experience” apology shills.

Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.