Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Last edited:
Reactions: ladytonya

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I know thats what i specifically said public beta of iOS 10. I was just clarifying that the iOS 10 beta is not public yet. I wasn't addressing the issue with watchOS.

The point is it will be a public beta and hence it doesn't have the restriction in the first place that would disallow non-developers to install it using the aforementioned workarounds. wOS beta is a non-public beta and as such, you'll be able to install the profile but you need to be a paid developer to actually install the beta.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
With respect to you, JayLenochiniMac, you seem to be making this up as you go along and you are wrong. WatchOS 3 is installable without a dev account (I've just done it). It just requires a more specific sequence to be successful.

Here's the steps. Join at whatever point is appropriate for you (i.e. if you've already upgraded to iOS 10 don't try to do so again)

1) Upgrade to iOS 10
2) Reset Apple Watch
3) Pair Apple Watch and do not restore backup (and I'll be honest about my shortcomings here and say I have not tried restoring, but I don't expect it be successful. If you restore and the instructions still work please let the community know :))
4) Install WatchOS 3 Beta Profile to watch. Installing to iPhone does no harm but it does no good either
5) Check for Software Update and install WatchOS 3 Beta
6) Enjoy. But it ff it breaks you get to keep both halves ;)

Hope this helps

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
With respect to you, JayLenochiniMac, you seem to be making this up as you go along and you are wrong. WatchOS 3 is installable without a dev account (I've just done it). It just requires a more specific sequence to be successful.

Here's the steps. Join at whatever point is appropriate for you (i.e. if you've already upgraded to iOS 10 don't try to do so again)

1) Upgrade to iOS 10
2) Reset Apple Watch
3) Pair Apple Watch and do not restore backup (and I'll be honest about my shortcomings here and say I have not tried restoring, but I don't expect it be successful. If you restore and the instructions still work please let the community know :))
4) Install WatchOS 3 Beta Profile to watch. Installing to iPhone does no harm but it does no good either

Hope this helps

So is this a new thing, because I know for a fact that nobody was able to install non-public wOS 2 betas unless they were a paid developer?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
So is this a new thing, because I know for a fact that nobody was able to install non-public wOS 2 betas unless they were a paid developer?

Perhaps. I never tried to install a non-public OS 2 beta so I don't know if the same method works/worked

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Perhaps. I never tried to install a non-public OS 2 beta so I don't know if the same method works/worked

Okay, I had assumed wOS 3 beta works the same way as wOS 2 beta (why shouldn't it as both are non-public betas?). If it's a new thing for wOS 3 beta (and perhaps this is an indication that they plan to make it a public beta), then I stand corrected.

Last edited:

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
Was wondering if theres a way to download the beta software for Apple Watch without the developer id, had it on my watch at one point but uninstalled and now can't find the site to which I downloaded the profile
I would honestly wait till the official release. The betas are intended for developers for a reason. If you ended up having to need to uninstall the beta, you'd have to send the watch into Apple, etc.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Okay, I had assumed wOS 3 beta works the same way as wOS 2 beta (why shouldn't it as both are non-public betas?). If it's a new thing for wOS 3 beta (and perhaps this is an indication that they plan to make it a public beta), then I stand corrected.

I came off way more self-righteous than I intended. I apologise for that. The community is less useful than that happens.

I would honestly wait till the official release. The betas are intended for developers for a reason. If you ended up having to need to uninstall the beta, you'd have to send the watch into Apple, etc.

I'd largely agree. You really need to know what you're getting into at least. You're right, there's no known way back without sending the watch to Apple.

Reactions: JayLenochiniMac

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

You really don't.
I installed wOS2 last year and I've never been a paid developer. Doubt that I was the only one.
All you need is the correct profile and the correct corresponding beta on your phone.
[doublepost=1465968229][/doublepost]
1) Upgrade to iOS 10
2) Reset Apple Watch

Hope this helps

I didn't need steps 2 or 3.
And after step 4, the watch will go through a reboot on its own.

Reactions: deadworlds

seme332

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2013
Berlin

1) Upgrade to iOS 10
2) Reset Apple Watch

Hope this helps

Hey! I'm not a Developer but have been running iOS and macOS Betas for years now, just never tried out the Watch. I heard a lot of nasty stuff about bricking the Watch and having to turn it into Apple for repair. How would you go back to the latest stable watchOS release if things don't work? Also, once watchOS 3 comes out to the public, how do you update? Thanks a lot!

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I heard a lot of nasty stuff about bricking the Watch and having to turn it into Apple for repair. How would you go back to the latest stable watchOS release if things don't work? Also, once watchOS 3 comes out to the public, how do you update? Thanks a lot!

If there's a serious problem, only Apple can restore the watch. Otherwise you just need to wait for the next beta to hopefully fix the problem.
For this reason, it is very unlikely that there will be a public beta.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
The beta took about an hour to download and probably about 30 minutes to an hour to install before it was up and running again. Not too bad.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I believe it's 69 pounds to become a developer to download the betas as tempted as it is to download it will just wait another month.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Be a good boy and send in your bug reports as you find them in the beta. Help out the rest of us who are waiting for the public release.

Oh, that's not your plan?
You always have something to say and it is rarely helpful in any context. Why don't you just stop posting long unless it is a thread you created.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

1) Upgrade to iOS 10
2) Reset Apple Watch

Hope this helps
I can verify all the above. I was on 2.2.2 beta and just installed the watch profile and updated. The UDID of my watch is not registered but my iPhone is. Since then, I fresh installed iOS 10, then paired my watch, and restored from a backup. No issues along the way at all.

DJLAXL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
UT
I assume no way to install watchOS 3 without running IOS 10?

Downgrading back to 9.3.2 from 10 with a possible jailbreak on the horizon...Watch is already on 3, so I'm wondering the same thing myself. Will it pair with a 9.3.2 phone?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Downgrading back to 9.3.2 from 10 with a possible jailbreak on the horizon...Watch is already on 3, so I'm wondering the same thing myself. Will it pair with a 9.3.2 phone?

I believe the release notes for wOS 3 say iOS 10 is required

Reactions: GIZBUG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.