Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
The problem is that it isn't faster. If I need to see the lock screen I can simply press the sleep/wake button. Raise to wake adds additional seconds to accessing the home screen.
So does clicking the Home button no longer take you to the app launcher?

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I think you are likely in the minority though. I would assume that most users who currently have Touch ID just click the Home button to wake up their phone and simultaneously unlock it, bypassing the lock screen entirely.

With raise to wake in iOS 10, Apple has actually made the lock screen a usable feature again for the majority of users. Additionally, they've added a new state to your iPhone where you are still on the lock screen after unlocking your phone. You can still get to the app launcher just as fast as before by clicking the Home button, but now Apple has separated the actions of jumping to the app launcher and unlocking your iPhone into two distinct actions.

You seem to be misunderstanding me, I was actually trying to make the same point. The iPhone 6s+ on iOS 9 made me re-train my brain to use TouchID in a LESS efficient way in order to see the lockscreen. With iOS 10, the problem is solved, I just have to re-train my brain again.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
maybe this works really well on the faster touch id sensor and raise to wake on the 6s/6s+ but on older phones, it honestly is just a step backwards and it sucks.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
This feature is only for 6s/6s+. It seems.
Right, im just trying tonsay that apple should have a different option for the older devices that i have a very hard time believing that they can't raise to wake (hardware wise they can run it). My point is that people on older phones get screwed because we don't have raise to wake so the new lockscreen is cumbersome for us.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
they need to change this behavior for older devices. its outrageous to unlock on my iPhone 6

I am gonna spam their bug report with it

Reactions: LordQ

tomi03

Suspended
Dec 8, 2015
Genève. Suisse
I didn't like it either tbh, I want the normal slide to unlock, no this press to unlock, I don't want to change the way I do stuff just because someone thinks is better, when it is not for me, and I can't find the option to deactivate the whole thing. I installed this beta on my iPod not iPhone, but still, It sux!!!

Last edited:

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
It would be fine if you could still just rest your finger on it. I actually wouldnt nind the new widgets and the camera i could get used to. Just that dang press to unlock. I would submit a bug report myself but well... You know :p

schlaufox

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2013
Can't speak for the 6S, but it is a bit inelegant at the moment on the 6. Here's the best way I've found to approach it on the 6:
  • If using the phone as normal, and want a chance to view your notifications first:
    • Click the home button and release, to wake up the screen. When done:
      • Click the home button and rest your finger there to unlock, or:
      • Rest your finger on the home button until the padlock in the status bar disappears. Then click the home button and release (smoother experience, as you bypass "Touch ID or Enter Passcode" screen).
  • If wanting to go straight into the phone:
    • Click the home button and rest your finger there to unlock, as it has always worked.
I have a feeling this might get changed in later betas, but that's the least frustrating approach to it, for now, I think.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Can't speak for the 6S, but it is a bit inelegant at the moment on the 6. Here's the best way I've found to approach it on the 6:
  • If using the phone as normal, and want a chance to view your notifications first:
    • Click the home button and release, to wake up the screen. When done:
      • Click the home button and rest your finger there to unlock, or:
      • Rest your finger on the home button until the padlock in the status bar disappears. Then click the home button and release (smoother experience, as you bypass "Touch ID or Enter Passcode" screen).
  • If wanting to go straight into the phone:
    • Click the home button and rest your finger there to unlock, as it has always worked.
I have a feeling this might get changed in later betas, but that's the least frustrating approach to it, for now, I think.
Hey that's a great way to have it. Only that it doesnt work...

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Do we HAVE to have passcodes now?

I hate passcodes and I don't use them. So do I press the home button to turn the screen on, then press it again to unlock?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Do we HAVE to have passcodes now?

I hate passcodes and I don't use them. So do I press the home button to turn the screen on, then press it again to unlock?
No. You only need to press once.
I think, based on an everythingapplepro video.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If I only press it once, then won't it unlock before I can see my messages?
If you only press once then you would only see your home screen, I suppose. To see your message, you still need to press power button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.