Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Thats your opinion, not a fact.
I don’t really agree, but regardless, well over a decade of experience and this has remained the case. I keep devices for a long time and they don’t suffer, especially iPads. It’s pathetically sad to see four, five year-old iPads be shredded into battery life uselessness whilst decade-old iPads with more efficient software just see no degradation at all in terms of battery life.

Like I’ve stated, I don’t really care, users can continue to throw devices into the trash via updates all they like. What does surprise me is that in terms of the overall userland they keep burning themselves with the same fire instead of learning. People upgrade just because battery life sucks even after replacement when it shouldn’t have to, but all I can do is try to help (and keep using my decade-old devices with the original battery and like-new battery life in the meantime).

• Haha
Reactions: strongy

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I have almost 1000 cycles and it’s still holding at 80% which u think is BS
That’s very decent, but some people have reported that you need it closer to 70% or less for Apple to honour the replacement. That’ll take a while, especially considering that health degradation isn’t linear.

Just to give an example, my 9.7-inch iPad Pro is now 7.5 years old. Apple forced it out of iOS 9 into iOS 12 in September 2019. It had 84% battery health per Coconut. Now, over 4 years later, it hovers at 83% health. You may be a heavier user, but it will still take a while before Apple allows a replacement. and even when they do, you’ll probably have a couple more major updates added on, so battery life will be even worse. I wouldn’t count on a replacement as an option.

Reactions: Born Again

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Updates put an end to devices - not batteries.
Not my experience though. I have had devices iphone6s that had only less than an hour battery left despite being not updated in a long time. I replaced the batteries on these and they were back to a full day battery. Same for several MacBook pros. And even old iPods. As soon as the batteries were replaced they have full battery life despite being on the newest OS. The batteries then lasted several years and I always kept the newest OS on them. I just don’t think I can replace an iPad battery without breaking it. So in my experience the batteries decay over time and over the cycles. But of course every new OS is more bloated.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Not my experience though. I have had devices iphone6s that had only less than an hour battery left despite being not updated in a long time. I replaced the batteries on these and they were back to a full day battery. Same for several MacBook pros. And even old iPods. As soon as the batteries were replaced they have full battery life despite being on the newest OS. The batteries then lasted several years and I always kept the newest OS on them. I just don’t think I can replace an iPad battery without breaking it. So in my experience the batteries decay over time and over the cycles. But of course every new OS is more bloated.
The 6s has been obliterated by iOS 13 onwards, and suffered substantially on iOS 11. I’d love to see a full day battery life on a 6s even with a new battery, would you have a screenshot? Everything I’ve seen has been pathetic when compared to iOS 9 and 10, even after replacement.

Battery health is irrelevant if the device isn’t updated.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
However it has to be noted that this is Apple's number. I would check the number with iMazing (or Coconut), which will probably give a lower number, likely below 80%.
Apple’s number is the only number that matters, when it comes to getting Apple to replace the iPad due to a worn out battery. Coconut or iMazing could say that the battery is made of Swiss cheese; it won’t make any difference.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Apple’s number is the only number that matters, when it comes to getting Apple to replace the iPad due to a worn out battery. Coconut or iMazing could say that the battery is made of Swiss cheese; it won’t make any difference.
I certainly didn't say that Apple cares about that Coconut or Amazing. However people may want to check battery health for other reasons than a battery service, which was also the point of my comment from October 2023.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

EllaWilson3

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2024
It's strange that they won't offer you the option for a battery replacement, especially considering your usage experience. Have you tried reaching out to Apple support again to discuss your concerns further?

Reactions: Born Again

Born Again

Suspended
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Norcal
It's strange that they won't offer you the option for a battery replacement, especially considering your usage experience. Have you tried reaching out to Apple support again to discuss your concerns further?
I’ll try again.

It’s just frustrating that it won’t even last the day and that’s just on standby.

Like many others commenting it needs to be plugged in regularly.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
After all this sudden done, Apple doesn’t replace batteries on iPads they just replaced the iPad itself because the screen is glued to the chassis and depending on what product you have, they may not be able to replace it

SparklyApple

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2013
My 2017 12” iPad Pro is on 610 cycles and 71% battery health according to the analytics logs. I am hoping that I can get a replacement still, and then I’ll look after the battery better. Does anyone know if Apple will replace it at the battery price point if it has the “spotlight” effect along one side? Asking here because my local Apple Store is about a five hour round trip.

DonnyDPassMeDaGravy

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2024
Don’t discount an 8 year old iPad. For most it’s more than enough. It doesn’t take much of a device to watch YouTube videos. iPads, iPhones, laptops, etc are amazing devices but most people never come close to using their abilities. It’s like buying a corvette. You look at it and tell everyone you have one.

rodalpho

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
I recently upgraded from an A12x to M1 and aside from the battery working and the extra RAM, the performance feels identical, even though the M1 benches dramatically faster. CPU speed just doesn't matter for "iPad stuff".

The battery sure as heck does though, and the doubled RAM means apps never have to reload. Nice upgrade overall.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
I made a mistake going from the M1 to the M2 iPad 11 inch. I’ll never do that again. Learn my lesson. Keep it until it breaks. (Unless they have macOS on it, which they won’t.)

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
@Born Again, as mentioned, the battery health has to be below 80%, as measured by Apple and not third party applications.

Also, your 2018 iPad Pro is now vintage, so good luck.

I tried getting my battery replaced for my iPad Air 2 several years ago. Apple confirmed with their testing that the battery qualified, and Apple still supported battery replacement of that model at that time, but they still wouldn't do it. Why? Because the Apple Store didn't have the part (meaning a replacement iPad Air 2), and they couldn't order it from Apple either. This makes their battery replacement service sometimes useless when the device is at/near vintage status.

Now, with the battery in the state that it is, even with the charge at 100%, it may shut off within 10 minutes when I'm watching a video. I think I may make it into a giant iPod for the stereo system, permanently plugged into power.

I made a mistake going from the M1 to the M2 iPad 11 inch.
Why would you do that?

JDnLex

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2014
I have a 2018 12.9” iPad Pro that began suffering extremely terrible battery life. It would be dead after a day and a half of just sitting idle. I did updates, restarts, etc., but nothing helped. I finally tried doing a full factory reset. Now the battery is just about as good as it was when it was new. I don’t know if it was a reset of the system software that helped or if it was one or some of the apps that I haven’t reinstalled yet, but I was surprised the reset was so effective.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
So, IF battery health shows less than 80%, what is the ”battery replacement” Cost that apple would charge?

Misuteri

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2018
I just replaced my 2017 iPad Pro in a battery replacement over the weekend. I was at 69% on their tool, 2,000+ charging cycles. The replacement is probably lasting 30% longer. The 2017 iPad Pro is no longer an all day machine on the current OS.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
don't give up - it took us over a year or checking and asking Apple before the battery fell under 80% according to Apple on our daughter's iPad Air 3. According to coconut, the health % was in low 70s and she had 800-900 cycles on it - dont recall it exactly.

Reactions: Christopher Kim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.