Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I went through the request, ran the diagnostic tool, and they determined the battery is fine and they want to charge me $780 to replace the ipad.

My battery dies running youtube with less 3 hours. The ipad won't even make it through the day on standby.

I don't understand they won't give me the option to pay for a battery replacement.

Anyone run into this issue?

BTW i just had my apple watch serviced by apple for the battery . That watch wouldn't turn on so we couldn't do any diagnostics.
I just saw this. I had a similar issue back in 2019 I got denied for the same reason. I had AppleCare so I did what I see most YouTuber destroying their iPad. Cracked screen. Apple replaced the whole iPad no questions asked.

Born Again

Suspended
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I just saw this. I had a similar issue back in 2019 I got denied for the same reason. I had AppleCare so I did what I see most YouTuber destroying their iPad. Cracked screen. Apple replaced the whole iPad no questions asked.
What can I do? No apple care

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I just replaced my 2017 iPad Pro in a battery replacement over the weekend. I was at 69% on their tool, 2,000+ charging cycles. The replacement is probably lasting 30% longer. The 2017 iPad Pro is no longer an all day machine on the current OS.
30% better is probably still very poor. Your last sentence describes what I’ve been saying all along: updates irreversibly kill 64-bit iPads in terms of battery life. You can replace the battery, and it will probably revert it to a slightly more usable state - but it’s still poor.

Born Again

Suspended
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Norcal
30% better is probably still very poor. Your last sentence describes what I’ve been saying all along: updates irreversibly kill 64-bit iPads in terms of battery life. You can replace the battery, and it will probably revert it to a slightly more usable state - but it’s still poor.
That’s fascinating. I wonder what created this battery change

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I went through the request, ran the diagnostic tool, and they determined the battery is fine and they want to charge me $780 to replace the ipad.

My battery dies running youtube with less 3 hours. The ipad won't even make it through the day on standby.

I don't understand they won't give me the option to pay for a battery replacement.

Anyone run into this issue?

BTW i just had my apple watch serviced by apple for the battery . That watch wouldn't turn on so we couldn't do any diagnostics.
I have the same issue with my now ANCIENT 2015 iPad Pro 12.9" Gen 1. Horrendous battery life, even though the battery health via Coconut shows 98% health, PowerUlti shortcut battery diagnostics shows more in depth at 95.7%. Not even close to a battery replacement.

It runs on iPadOS 16.7.6 right now (obsolete and not qualified for major OS updates anymore, just security updates - which it just updated 20min ago, March 5). These updates no question made it slower and drained the battery way way down!

Maybe someday I'll try to find an iPad battery online and tackle this myself...I'm in no rush, also I don't think it will make a difference to be honest.

Right now, it is what it is. I simply run the iPad as it's charged wired or even a small portable 8000 mAh charger w/ lightning connection.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I think it could have to do with the apps installed, and background services. On my iPad Pro 10.5, I had significant standby battery drain like you describe. However, I erased it to give it my kid who only plays a few games and surfs on it, with the occasional iMessage, etc. After that reset, and with his repertoire of apps, it doesn't drain battery on standby anywhere near as much as it used to.

tl;dr:

A clean re-install can eliminate a lot of standby battery drain.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
This is not true. My 2017 Pro lasts nearly a month on standby on iPadOS 17 with the original battery and about a week with my normal use (some browsing and YouTube every day, my newer mini is my workhorse now). I had another one where I replaced the battery and its battery life is as good as the day I bought it once again. The only times I've seen unreasonably short battery life from and iPad or iPhone has been caused either by a fault with the device or an app/service that acts up.

Last edited:

Born Again

Suspended
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I think it could have to do with the apps installed, and background services. On my iPad Pro 10.5, I had significant standby battery drain like you describe. However, I erased it to give it my kid who only plays a few games and surfs on it, with the occasional iMessage, etc. After that reset, and with his repertoire of apps, it doesn't drain battery on standby anywhere near as much as it used to.

tl;dr:

A clean re-install can eliminate a lot of standby battery drain.
I will try this - thanks

Reactions: Reverend Benny

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I have the same issue with my now ANCIENT 2015 iPad Pro 12.9" Gen 1. Horrendous battery life, even though the battery health via Coconut shows 98% health, PowerUlti shortcut battery diagnostics shows more in depth at 95.7%. Not even close to a battery replacement.

It runs on iPadOS 16.7.6 right now (obsolete and not qualified for major OS updates anymore, just security updates - which it just updated 20min ago, March 5). These updates no question made it slower and drained the battery way way down!

Maybe someday I'll try to find an iPad battery online and tackle this myself...I'm in no rush, also I don't think it will make a difference to be honest.

Right now, it is what it is. I simply run the iPad as it's charged wired or even a small portable 8000 mAh charger w/ lightning connection.
That’s a new battery anyway. I don’t think updated 1st and 2nd-gen iPad Pros have any significant battery life left in them to be honest. Apple forced mine off of iOS 9 and into iOS 12 and whilst I saw an immediate and irreversible 3/4-hour drop (from 13-14 hours to 10, so a 25-30% drop), battery life is still very decent, unlike updated ones.

I wish there’s something 1st and 2nd-gen iPad Pro users could do, but sadly, there isn’t. If you aren’t a heavy user in terms of hours you can just charge it more often. If you use it 3 hours per day it should be fine with charging once a day.

I definitely noticed the impact of iOS 12 on my 9.7-inch iPad Pro, but it’s still decent enough for content consumption. If you’re a very heavy user in terms of apps or brightness, yeah, I guess these 1st and 2nd-gen Pros are obsolete now, especially considering that performance is mediocre as well.

My 9.7-inch iPad Pro, like I said, is good enough for content consumption. Is it as good as it was on iOS 9? No. But honestly I see the glass half-full now: iOS 12 is way closer to iOS 9 than it is to iPadOS 16, luckily.

EllaWilson3

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2024
There is nothing you can do, I just charge the iPads more often, end of the day (but it's easier when you have more than one...)
Yeah, it's a good strategy unless you have a very first generation of iPad. I used to have it a while ago, and it takes literally the whole day to be charged.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Yeah, it's a good strategy unless you have a very first generation of iPad. I used to have it a while ago, and it takes literally the whole day to be charged.
Yeah that’s the problem with iPads which came before USB-C, they’re pretty slow to charge. It would be fine if they had the original iOS version’s battery life, but they don’t. I charge my 9.7-inch iPad Pro with the original 10w adapter, and it’s not fast. I’m fine with it because my battery life is still decent (as it is on iOS 12).

Obliterated iPads though? You’re probably looking at the same time at best: 100 to 0% takes the same time or less when compared to a full charge. It’s one thing if after a 4-hour SOT charge you need 1 hour to charge. It’s a whole different thing if you need more. The 1st-gen, 12.9-inch iPad Pro needs over 5 hours to charge to 100% with the slow chargers. Unacceptable if battery life isn’t good enough (which it isn’t on iPadOS 16). The 9.7-inch iPad Pro takes a little over three hours. Unacceptable with the battery life that iPadOS 16 provides, almost meaningless with the battery life iOS 12 provides, a non-issue with the battery life iOS 9 provides.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Yeah that’s the problem with iPads which came before USB-C, they’re pretty slow to charge. It would be fine if they had the original iOS version’s battery life, but they don’t. I charge my 9.7-inch iPad Pro with the original 10w adapter, and it’s not fast. I’m fine with it because my battery life is still decent (as it is on iOS 12).

Obliterated iPads though? You’re probably looking at the same time at best: 100 to 0% takes the same time or less when compared to a full charge. It’s one thing if after a 4-hour SOT charge you need 1 hour to charge. It’s a whole different thing if you need more. The 1st-gen, 12.9-inch iPad Pro needs over 5 hours to charge to 100% with the slow chargers. Unacceptable if battery life isn’t good enough (which it isn’t on iPadOS 16). The 9.7-inch iPad Pro takes a little over three hours. Unacceptable with the battery life that iPadOS 16 provides, almost meaningless with the battery life iOS 12 provides, a non-issue with the battery life iOS 9 provides.
the 9.7 is the only iPad pro that does not support fast charging. All the others do, provided that you use a USB C charger. Not sure about the non pro, but my mini 5 does support fast charging.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
the 9.7 is the only iPad pro that does not support fast charging. All the others do, provided that you use a USB C charger. Not sure about the non pro, but my mini 5 does support fast charging.
Yeah, you’re right. Although personally I prefer to charge slowly. My devices have good battery life practically forever, so I don’t mind if they’re slow to charge.

My 9.7-inch iPad Pro may not be as good on iOS 12 as it was on iOS 9 after Apple forced it out, but with 10-11 hours of screen-on time, taking a bit over three hours to charge with the original 10w adapter is okay. After over 7.5 years charging speed hasn’t been something I ever complained about. Sure, my iPad Air 5 is infinitely faster with the 20w adapter, but it’s fine.

Do you use fast chargers with compatible iPads? Or do you charge slowly given that you have a lot of them?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Yeah, you’re right. Although personally I prefer to charge slowly. My devices have good battery life practically forever, so I don’t mind if they’re slow to charge.

My 9.7-inch iPad Pro may not be as good on iOS 12 as it was on iOS 9 after Apple forced it out, but with 10-11 hours of screen-on time, taking a bit over three hours to charge with the original 10w adapter is okay. After over 7.5 years charging speed hasn’t been something I ever complained about. Sure, my iPad Air 5 is infinitely faster with the 20w adapter, but it’s fine.

Do you use fast chargers with compatible iPads? Or do you charge slowly given that you have a lot of them?
The issue with fast charging is heat. But that depends on the size of the battery. Fast charging a 12.9 iPad barely creates any heat (it's not even true fast charging with such a device at 30w, fast charging should be double that). Fast charging a mini does. So I fast charge every device exept the mini, unless I am in a hurry.

Reactions: FeliApple

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
There is nothing you can do, I just charge the iPads more often, end of the day (but it's easier when you have more than one...)
Just get on a retail site and get a 'power bank' - it's what I use for my 10.5 iPad Pro and it's excellent. Costs only about $35 instead of $119 to Apple for a 'refurb' that likely has an aged battery too.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Just get on a retail site and get a 'power bank' - it's what I use for my 10.5 iPad Pro and it's excellent. Costs only about $35 instead of $119 to Apple for a 'refurb' that likely has an aged battery too.
The refurbs have new or near new batteries.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
IMG_2566.jpeg
I thought the battery change fee is $119, and that the 80% health requisite only applies to free AppleCare+ replacements? Also this price still shows up on the site for the 2018 iPad, does  really not service these 2018s anymore?

I recently upgraded from an A12x to M1 and aside from the battery working and the extra RAM, the performance feels identical, even though the M1 benches dramatically faster. CPU speed just doesn't matter for "iPad stuff".

The battery sure as heck does though, and the doubled RAM means apps never have to reload. Nice upgrade overall.

I’m considering this upgrade strictly for the RAM upgrade. The A12X is still plenty capable but feel like 4GB is too little.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
View attachment 2359990 I thought the battery change fee is $119, and that the 80% health requisite only applies to free AppleCare+ replacements? Also this price still shows up on the site for the 2018 iPad, does  really not service these 2018s anymore?

I’m considering this upgrade strictly for the RAM upgrade. The A12X is still plenty capable but feel like 4GB is too little.
80% applies to everyone, if you don't meet the requirement, no replacement.
80% battery heath is not (at all) 80% battery life. In my experience it's at best 40% of the original battery life.

I did upgrade for RAM too, but only my 12.9" (from 2018 to M1), my 2018 11" is the 1TB version with 6GB RAM and it makes all the difference. I don't feel the need to upgrade anytime soon, as 6GB is much closer to the 8GB in the M1 than to 4GB in terms of reloads.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
80% is not always an absolute cutoff. FWIW, they replaced my AirPod at 81%. 🤪

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
You practically need a new battery if the device is updated for it to be half-usable (yet pathetically abhorrent at the same time). I have an iPhone 6s on iOS 13 (forced by Apple from iOS 9 due to the A9 activation bug on iOS 9), and with 82% health, it’s unusable.

If the device isn’t updated, health is completely irrelevant. I have another 6s on iOS 10 with 60% health and battery life is like-new.

On iPads, with larger batteries, health is even more irrelevant (if not updated).

If updated far enough, I’m unsure of the value of a battery replacement. Why pay for a “new” 10.5-inch iPad Pro when battery life on iPadOS 17 will be abhorrent anyway? If you could get one on iOS 10 it’s one thing, but with Apple’s current - and abhorrent - practices, I just don’t see enough value.

rodalpho

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
I mean, none of that is true. Batteries degrade regardless of OS version, it's a physical process. You may see worse battery life on a updated OS but that is a completely separate discussion.

Reactions: EugW

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I mean, none of that is true. Batteries degrade regardless of OS version, it's a physical process. You may see worse battery life on a updated OS but that is a completely separate discussion.
They degrade in terms of health, but it doesn’t affect actual runtime. Try it, then tell me that this is false.

People who deny this typically install a trillion major updates... well, if a device that launched on iOS 12 is running iOS 18, battery life will be abhorrent even with a new battery. But that’s due to the pathetic updates, not health.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.