Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Siri, I'm having trouble breathing. You'll need to unlock your iPhone for that.

Siri, can't even set up a calendar appointment at times. Why would I trust her for my health? lol

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
the fat cats that took over the health care system view doctors and nurses as an expense that needs to be eliminated so they can pocket more of your money... you may think I'm making some sort of bad joke but I'm not...
doctors and nurses salaries are a huge red number on the balance sheet and they HATE it

their wet dream is replacing doctors and nurses with AI, they have been working on it for a very long time, they have been spewing bogus PR articles about how AI is better at diagnosing and treating than doctors, and it is already starting to be implemented, though not obviously to the average patient

nothing can replace hands on

many more will die and have permenant debility, that should not

the fat cats don't care. they're in it for the money, they're in it for themselves

as soon as the AI is "good enough," that will be the health care you get

enjoy

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
As a nurse, don't think this is a good idea. Way too many possible errors and way too many stupid people out there.
Exactly. Unless it's your doctor giving you info on the other end, you could end up diagnosing yourself with cancer.o_O It happens every time I use WebMD.:p Runny nose? Cancer? Back pain? Cancer. Mysterious mole that you don't recall ever having? Cancer. Oh wait, that could be cancer.:eek: Gotta ask the dermatologist about that.

Reactions: ouimetnick

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
the fat cats that took over the health care system view doctors and nurses as an expense that needs to be eliminated so they can pocket more of your money... you may think I'm making some sort of bad joke but I'm not...
doctors and nurses salaries are a huge red number on the balance sheet and they HATE it

their wet dream is replacing doctors and nurses with AI, they have been working on it for a very long time, they have been spewing bogus PR articles about how AI is better at diagnosing and treating than doctors, and it is already starting to be implemented, though not obviously to the average patient

nothing can replace hands on

many more will die and have permenant debility, that should not

the fat cats don't care. they're in it for the money, they're in it for themselves

as soon as the AI is "good enough," that will be the health care you get

enjoy

I don't fully agree with this (not disagreeing with the money part, but the use and importance of alternative front line support)

one of the biggest problems we seem to face is ER wait times. A lot of this is purely because there are too many people visiting the ER for issues that are NOT and should NOT go to the ER for.

properly educated front line telehealth, or online health can be a great tool to help alleviate these problems by directing people to the correct location and service to deal with their issue.

Someone with a runny nose and scratchy throat doesn't need to go to the ER. Yet, 1/2 the complaints from people waiting are literally that.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Exactly. Unless it's your doctor giving you info on the other end, you could end up diagnosing yourself with cancer.o_O It happens every time I use WebMD.:p Runny nose? Cancer? Back pain? Cancer. Mysterious mole that you don't recall ever having? Cancer. Oh wait, that could be cancer.:eek: Gotta ask the dermatologist about that.

But again, the options are not exclusively ‘ask Siri’ or ‘definitely go to the doctor’. People would just perform web searches themselves, and maybe stop at the first couple of results that seem likely anyway.

So it might be better if they ask:
‘Siri, I have a suspicious lump... what is it?’

If Siri can then say:

‘is the lump under your skin or above your skin?’
‘It’s above my skin’
‘Is the the lump attached to you?’
‘Oh, no Siri, the lump is not attached to me but I can feel it through my clothes......’
‘The lump is probably your right Airpod falling down your shirt collar again Dave’
‘oh yeah! Thanks Siri!’

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Siri I have extreme diarrhea

There are 15 locations that fit the description. Which one would you like directions to?

Taco Bell will be just fine

Got it, directions to Taco Bell, make second right and stay to the left.

and 1989 others

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2016
How can I have a Back and froth conversation about health, when Siri struggles to skip a song when I ask it to?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I wish Apple would just partner with an insurance company(s) and work on something great. Sure I’m biased because I work for one but all the executives talk about these days is ML, AI, NLP, blockchain, etc. Insurance companies are basically becoming tech companies with the goal of trying to keep people out of the hospital. I’d much rather see Apple invest here than in TV shows and addictive games that keep kids buried in a screen.

Apple seems to be doing a fair amount of partnering with healthcare organizations and researchers (search MacRumors on CareKit and ResearchKit), so I expect Apple's efforts to integrate Siri into their healthcare initiatives have not been going on in a vacuum.

While I don't think it's been noted in a MacRumors article, the page footer of Apple.com (at least in the US) now includes a group of links dedicated to "For Healthcare" https://www.apple.com/healthcare/. Some of this is purely "Doctors, please buy iPads," but there's plenty said on CareKit and ResearchKit, and the page devoted to health records https://www.apple.com/healthcare/health-records/ includes statements like this:
From your EHR to their iPhone, in a few simple steps.
We’ve worked closely with Epic, Cerner, athenahealth and others in the healthcare community to make it easy for you to enable this feature.

Whatever the Siri grader interviewed by the Guardian had to say was limited by his/her knowledge - it's all "need to know" at Apple, and a contractor's employee grading Siri responses doesn't need to know very much of what's going on.

Reactions: Rogifan

TETENAL

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2014
This is probably based on recent research that was done on the MYCIN expert system.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
This explains why they are trying to market themselves for privacy for a couple of years. Then you add this once there is some level of trust.

Level of trust is irrelevant though. if Apple starts recording and using real medical data of it's users, it has some strict privacy rules and guidelines that it MUST follow. Regardless of it's previous "privacy" media blitz.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Siri can't even set a reminder properly or answer simple questions about the weather or restaurants.

Me: Where can I eat?
Siri: I found 6 restaurants, 2 are 500 meters from you.
Me: I'd like to eat vegan today.
Siri: I can't find Vegan in your contacts.

Siri has no concept of context, and health is vastly more complex than dining. Shouldn't Apple focus on getting the basics before moving on to something as complicated as health?

Reactions: apolloa

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Siri makes me want to pull my hair out when transcribing my text messages sometimes. I can't even fathom having a back and forth conversation with it about something as important as my health.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
So Apple is now copying Amazon...

and whilst Amazon is running a health service with the NHS, so you can trust it’s information given, which third party contractor has Apple teamed up with and will sell your information to? Which of course no one will ever believe or accept until a newspaper exposes them...

Sorry but I don’t trust Apple anywhere near as much as I used to with my information. I’d rather use Alexa!..

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Sidenote: After iOS 10, the really should have called every years update 'iOS 10.1, 10.4, 10.3.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
Me: hey Siri, I have had an erection for more than 4 hours. Should I see a Doctor?

Siri: the election is November 5th.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I've lost a lot of trust in Apple after they failed to disclose they were listening into Siri recordings. Why would I want to have a personal conversation with a bot that some unknown stranger might end up listening to thousands of miles away?

I'll stick to my doctor, who took an oath to respect my privacy. Apple proved they aren't worthy of this trust anymore.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I've lost a lot of trust in Apple after they failed to disclose they were listening into Siri recordings. Why would I want to have a personal conversation with a bot that some unknown stranger might end up listening to thousands of miles away?

I'll stick to my doctor, who took an oath to respect my privacy. Apple proved they aren't worthy of this trust anymore.

You didn't know people listened to Siri? Really? But you want them to improve it. Silly.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
You didn't know people listened to Siri? Really? But you want them to improve it. Silly.
I don’t think anyone did.

I also never said I want Siri improvements. The rumor always was that Siri was behind because Apple wouldn’t compromise on privacy. I was fine with that.

Putting words in other people’s mouths? Silly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.