Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeVizardofOZ

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
Antarctica City;)
Are there German Computer makers...?

... Well, like APPLE and others, there are some german brands, which actually MAKE computers, but like most others hardware is made elsewhere (TW, Korea and Japan). Some of the laptops made in Germany have selected hardware, that is, only parts of the highest order are used.

Those are small manufacturers, but they usually have a much better AFTER SALES SERVICE and even WARRANTY, compared to the big names. You can actually call them directly, and won't get an indian call center, where people cannot understand you...

That is the crux.

It is "us", the consumers, who have to show the BIG BOYS where we see the quality standard. If car makers would manufacture automobiles which blow up, or where the engines give in after a few days, they would lose market share in no time...

Well, I guess there's alaways hope to see APPLE get back to a high level of quality when hardware is concerned.

tutelary

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2006
Lets play a game Apple:

Bring out a "mini" mac pro (core 2/merom/E6300 to 6600 range, upgradeable to 4gig, 4 pci-e slots, an e-sata port or two on the back, expansion bay for 1 extra hd inside, 1 optical drive)

and I'll switch after 16 years on Windows.

Not only will I buy this machine, I'll buy a 23inch lcd and a service contract.

Dont, and I'll buy parts for something like this machine, and be running Vista on it next year and you will have lost your chance. (Not only with me, but a lot of people like me)

It's that simple.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
tutelary said:
Lets play a game Apple:

Bring out a "mini" mac pro (core 2/merom/E6300 to 6600 range, upgradeable to 4gig, 4 pci-e slots, an e-sata port or two on the back, expansion bay for 1 extra hd inside, 1 optical drive)

Dont, and I'll buy parts for something like this machine, and be running Vista on it next year and you will have lost your chance. (Not only with me, but a lot of people like me)

It's that simple.

Allright. Seems like you'll be doing Vista for the rest of your life. Face it. Appel tried this. It was the called The PowerMac G4 Cube. The only good thing about it was the "no fans" thing. Otherwise, Cube was a POC, and they will never release a small tower again.;)

Just my 40% of a nickel.

BTW, DeVizardofOZ, Medion is German, and makes computers.

tutelary

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2006
Josias said:
Allright. Seems like you'll be doing Vista for the rest of your life. Face it. Appel tried this. It was the called The PowerMac G4 Cube. The only good thing about it was the "no fans" thing. Otherwise, Cube was a POC, and they will never release a small tower again.;)

Just my 40% of a nickel.

BTW, DeVizardofOZ, Medion is German, and makes computers.

The cube didnt run on intel. Virtualization wasn't a part of the game back then. Its time to try again.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
tutelary said:
Lets play a game Apple:

It's that simple.

If you're up for building your own warranty-less computer, why not modify the mini anyway? Or, you can always get that docking HD they sell and most of your complaints will be solved. Hell you could even double them up and network them. I highly doubt that there are as many people wishing for the same thing as you are as you think.

If you want pro features you have to buy a pro model. It's that simple.

If you can't find the space to fit a Mac Pro I don't even see how you can afford it. And please don't give me the old I want a small computer routine. If you need a small computer, hide a Mac Pro somewhere and run some cables. Also don't try to say price is an issue since you want to buy the 23 incher.

I guess we'll see you some time in 2009 when Vista actually ships.

ryanx27

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2006
DeVizardofOZ said:
It is "us", the consumers, who have to show the BIG BOYS where we see the quality standard. If car makers would manufacture automobiles which blow up, or where the engines give in after a few days, they would lose market share in no time...

True, but unlike my car, if my computer goes all to hell while I'm using it, it won't kill me (I'll just die inside...) :)

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
DeVizardofOZ said:
It seems we have a general quality or QC problem or both... The old stuff was much more build to last. One thing I can say about chinese production quality:
In the beginning they produce good quality, and then they try to use cheaper stuff to make more profit. They all seem to do it.
Being german this attitude is kind of alien to me, as we have a history of top quality.

:D

Maybe you should shove that Aryan attitude of yours, every post of yours seem to go "woohoo, we germans make the best things!" The Maglev fire is due to a battery produced by the Germans, and all the lame germans can say is "Oh.. Shanghai is more humid than Germany"

Quality my ass.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
tutelary said:
Lets play a game Apple:

It's that simple.

Go ahead and switch to Vista then, it is not like you won't constantly be looking back at that decision and regretting it.

I stopped reading the moment I read "4 PCIe slots", do you happen to know how expensive those things are currently? A PC mainboard's retail price can go up by almost $100 just for the addition of that 2nd PCIe slot.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
DeVizardofOZ said:
It seems we have a general quality or QC problem or both... The old stuff was much more build to last. One thing I can say about chinese production quality:
In the beginning they produce good quality, and then they try to use cheaper stuff to make more profit. They all seem to do it.
Being german this attitude is kind of alien to me, as we have a history of top quality.

:D

I bought a brand new BMW 330ci when they first came out. Thing was a piece of sh|tt. Engine burned oil, AC stunk like a dirty sock, door panels kept falling off, throttle had lag, seats broke, stereo broke and the radiator leaked. All this in the first 6 months of ownership. Now our honda never had a single problem. Sorry but if that is german quality, it sucks.

bluetorch18

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2006
J@ffa said:
So... MBP's today? Likely? My dad said today he's definitely getting one if they do...

I hope so, I've been waiting since June for one...and I would really like one with an updated GPU as well...

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
generik said:
Go ahead and switch to Vista then, it is not like you won't constantly be looking back at that decision and regretting it.

I stopped reading the moment I read "4 PCIe slots", do you happen to know how expensive those things are currently? A PC mainboard's retail price can go up by almost $100 just for the addition of that 2nd PCIe slot.

I thought his statements were dumb... he basically wants a Mac Pro in a Mac Mini... why not just buy a Mac Pro? Seriously, all the mini needs is continous CPU speed bumps, perhaps a nice low end but dedicated card and maybe a faster HDD but its fine as it is, maybe Apple just needs to make a base 499 model and have the high end model have the improvements I said?

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
macenforcer said:
I bought a brand new BMW 330ci when they first came out. Thing was a piece of sh|tt. Engine burned oil, AC stunk like a dirty sock, door panels kept falling off, throttle had lag, seats broke, stereo broke and the radiator leaked. All this in the first 6 months of ownership. Now our honda never had a single problem. Sorry but if that is german quality, it sucks.

I dont know your beef with the other guy becasue I haven't been following, but BMW seems to be slipping in build quality. I've heard some bad stores about the 3 series ones, and the Mini Coopers are supposed to be absolutely horrible...

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Chone said:
I thought his statements were dumb... he basically wants a Mac Pro in a Mac Mini... why not just buy a Mac Pro? Seriously, all the mini needs is continous CPU speed bumps, perhaps a nice low end but dedicated card and maybe a faster HDD but its fine as it is, maybe Apple just needs to make a base 499 model and have the high end model have the improvements I said?

The Mac Mini is very nice as it is, I am not even bothered too much by the integrated graphics on a thing so small. But I have to admit that it is somewhat unreasonable for Apple to force people to get a Macpro if they do not want...

1) A AIO iMac
2) A machine with integrated graphics.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
tutelary said:
Lets play a game Apple:

It's that simple.

Yeah, you make up less than 1 percent of Apple's target market, so they don't care. Thanks for playing.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
generik said:
The Mac Mini is very nice as it is, I am not even bothered too much by the integrated graphics on a thing so small. But I have to admit that it is somewhat unreasonable for Apple to force people to get a Macpro if they do not want...

1) A AIO iMac
2) A machine with integrated graphics.

Sometimes you have to force people to their luck. The price of iMacs is pretty good at the time new models are out. If you don't like the looks, you can still put it under the desk and use another screen...

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
nagromme said:
Merom soon makes sense--in the Pro models and maybe iMac.

But Apple should certainly keep Yonah machines (Mini and MB) as well.

Yonah (even single-core Yonah) is already overkill power for some low-end users. So why make them pay for a pair of Merom cores?

Instead, let Yonah's price drop, and the bottom-end Mac models' price drop with it.

Umm, Right. The Yonah is not 32-bit by choice. Intel's engineers couldn't make EMT64 work without burning up the chip. So EMT64 is there, just not switched on.

So Intel is trying to get these out of production as fast as possible. Probably the same price to produce as Core 2, but much less efficient.

:rolleyes: :)

fsryan

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2006
I want it

All I know is I think that today would be a great day to release after a holiday. Also not to mention if they released the new mac book pros. They would be releasing over a week before everyone else. If apple truely does have priority with intel this would show it. I think apple would be stupid not to release them today considering its only a update not a new product line. Save the big announcement for thursday. Don't throw too much at us at once.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I see a few peoples guess is tomorrow. I was just wondering why they think that? If they just have a feeling or if they have heard some rumors? or what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.