Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Apple's A11 processor is still way ahead of Qualcomm's latest 10 nm processors. The Galaxy S9/S9+ will have the Snapdragon 845 in its next device release. Apple controlling the entire process allows it to optimize its processors to perform very well, albeit iOS 11's buggy release. In addition, there isn't a need for 6gb RAM or something like that to get strong benchmark results on the iPhone 8/8+/X.

I am curious to see how great a possible A11 X will be in the next gen iPad Pro and how the A12 processors do in the 2018 iPhones. We could even see smaller sizes than 10nm processors.

https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-s9-plus-benchmarks-show-impressive-performance/

http://bgr.com/2017/11/16/galaxy-s9-news-vs-iphone-x-benchmarks-leak/

2ndtry

Suspended
Dec 15, 2017
However, you do know that Samsung’s S8 and Not 8 opens most social apps faster than apples minus games, which they still do very well. So a faster processor does not mean a whole heck of a lot. Do a little research to verify.

Last edited:
Reactions: iSilas

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
However, you do know that Samsung’s S8 and Not 8 opens most social apps faster than apples minus games, which they still do very well. So a faster processor does not mean a whole heck of a lot. Do a little research to verify.

You do know that iOS 11 wasn’t optimized at the time Saf made that video?

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I really don't care about processing speed anymore, any flagship phone has more than enough oomf to run what you throw at it. I care a lot more about the much higher LTE speeds and additional LTE band support that Qualcomm offers with it's processors.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I really don't care about processing speed anymore, any flagship phone has more than enough oomf to run what you throw at it. I care a lot more about the much higher LTE speeds and additional LTE band support that Qualcomm offers with it's processors.

I agree that cpu speed is not that important, neither is LTE speed to be honest, as it is peak speed that 99% of users will never be close to reaching.

In the end, choose what you like more. For me, there are a lot of reasons other than speed to choose an iPhone X over Galaxy.

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Exactly this. I've just gone from a 6s to an 8 Plus. It doesn't feel that much faster, to say it's quite a better processor.

Reactions: 2ndtry

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
My iPhoneS speedtests 290mbps, how ****in much you want on a mobile device?

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
My iPhoneS speedtests 290mbps, how ****in much you want on a mobile device?
I'm talking about additional LTE band support like band 71, and technologies like 4x4 mimo. Go to a place with congestion and you'll wish you could get double the speeds you currently get on your older device.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I'm talking about additional LTE band support like band 71, and technologies like 4x4 mimo. Go to a place with congestion and you'll wish you could get double the speeds you currently get on your older device.
Yup, no congestion here in atlanta, our population so sparse we have no traffic and roads are wide open 24/7. My “older” model iPhoneX is slow as ****, but ill upgrade someday.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Yup, no congestion here in atlanta, our population so sparse we have no traffic and roads are wide open 24/7. My “older” model iPhoneX is slow as ****, but ill upgrade someday.
You said iPhoneS, I assumed you meant SE or 6S

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Apple's A11 processor is still way ahead of Qualcomm's latest 10 nm processors. The Galaxy S9/S9+ will have the Snapdragon 845 in its next device release. Apple controlling the entire process allows it to optimize its processors to perform very well, albeit iOS 11's buggy release. In addition, there isn't a need for 6gb RAM or something like that to get strong benchmark results on the iPhone 8/8+/X.

I am curious to see how great a possible A11 X will be in the next gen iPad Pro and how the A12 processors do in the 2018 iPhones. We could even see smaller sizes than 10nm processors.

https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-s9-plus-benchmarks-show-impressive-performance/

But a Samsung Galaxy costs only $699.

And let’s be honest, we are not mining bitcoins on our phones?

Even my iPhone 6S+ is still fast enough in 2017/2018.

I would have taken a Samsung Galaxy phone if Android wasn’t that laggy, especially given the price difference.

Last edited:

atmc

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Porto, Portugal

Regarding that first link: impressive! The S9 single core score is almost on par with an iPhone 6s :D

Apple CPUs are blazing fast. However, the majority of apps don't need that much processing power. There's no reason why iOS slows down or drops frames on older devices except for bad optimization.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010

I own both an LG V30 and an iPhone X.

The occasional bane of my existence is that people working on important documents will persist in uploading or sending huge, huge files without breaking them up.

If you believe that Geekbench scores make no difference, I am here to tell you differently.

The calculating power and memory management skills of the iPhone X cause it to be able to handle these huge files very well, whereas the LG V30 will get hitchy and stutter too much.

There's no point in lecturing me that people should break up these huge files. People do what they do.

I like the LG V30 very much and even in some ways prefer it to the iPhone X.

But arguing that the calculating power of the A11 does not make a difference?

I'm here to tell you otherwise.

All these weird "speed tests" we're seeing online now, where people try to make excuses and avoid the calculations power by just loading and unloading a bunch of games in their YouTube videos....who the freak ever does that?

It's not a speed test.

It's just a way to throw you off the fact that the iPhone X is superior, and that's basically all there is to it, despite liking the configurability of the LG V30 and the clearly superior modem that it has.
[doublepost=1513862880][/doublepost]If you want to talk about signal capture and data throughput, you'll find me arguing for the other team very quickly.

:)

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I am not surprised. No one on the Android side will ever beat out iOS in performance. Same with security, privacy, ecosystem, apps, and support. Widgets and app launchers, they definitely have iOS beat though.

Reactions: haruhiko

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
But a Samsung Galaxy costs only $699.

And let’s be honest, we are not mining bitcoins on our phones?

Even my iPhone 6S+ is still fast enough in 2017/2018.

I would have taken a Samsung Galaxy phone if Android wasn’t that laggy, especially given the price difference.

So does an iPhone 8, which will have better support long term. Samsung’s software is jank. I used to own the Note 8 and it was awful before I ended up selling it. Went through a honeymoon phase with it too for a brief month.

Reactions: haruhiko

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
You do know that iOS 11 wasn’t optimized at the time Saf made that video?

You do know there hasn't been a difference since? Same excuse everytime, "It's not optimized". Safari will stop reloading as soon as they optimize it, it's not RAM! Apple adds RAM to fix the issue...

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
I have the iphone X and I'm still pissed off at the RAM they have in there. It's not enough! If I have an app open and I go into Safari to look at something then go right back to that app, most of the time I have to wait for the app to refresh itself. It's getting annoying.

I'm still loving my X, just some issues they need to fix with the next one.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
I am not surprised. No one on the Android side will ever beat out iOS in performance. Same with security, privacy, ecosystem, apps, and support. Widgets and app launchers, they definitely have iOS beat though.

Same age android beats out same age apple once the throttled cpu kicks in! The apple's wheels fall off the bus.

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
Honestly, why do we give a crap about this? I stopped caring a couple years ago when I realised that no matter how “fast” Apples latest processors are, it doesn’t matter because iOS, especially this year with iOS 11, doesn’t make it feel like the fastest phone in the world at all. I returned my iPhone X because of this reason; riddled with bugs, still lags with micro stutters around the OS and third party apps, UI ugliness and inconsistencies. All because of the software which has become awful.

My Pixel 2 is faster than the X, way smoother (even with a less powerful processor), far less UI issues and looks better plus I can make it look however I want. The camera is pretty damn sweet too, despite having just a single lense. You know why? Because software. It’s always been about the software. The Pixel 2 is heavily praised solely because of it, even with all the heavy criticisms of the XL’s screen issues. It’s amazing how any hardware issues can be looked past because the software is that good. This used to be Apples forte, they used to be the kings of software but they just aren’t anymore. I never thought I’d find myself going with Android but I will go with whatever phone gives me the best software experience and that certainly isn’t Apple anymore. Year after year I wait for them to prove me wrong and think “maybe this will be the year they fix everything and get it right”, but they never do, it only gets worse.

Sad. A few years ago I used to put my trust in this company because back then you were guaranteed a good experience. Now? You have to cross your fingers and hope for them to get it right. And I just can’t be bothered waiting for that to happen anymore.

Last edited:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Honestly, why do we give a crap about this? I stopped caring a couple years ago when I realised that no matter how “fast” Apples latest processors are, it doesn’t matter because iOS, especially this year with iOS 11, doesn’t make it feel like the fastest phone in the world at all. I returned my iPhone X because of this reason; riddled with bugs, still lags with micro stutters around the OS and third party apps, UI ugliness and inconsistencies. All because of the software which has become awful.

My Pixel 2 is faster than the X, way smoother (even with a less powerful processor), far less UI issues and looks better plus I can make it look however I want. The camera is pretty damn sweet too, despite having just a single lense. You know why? Because software. It’s always been about the software. The Pixel 2 is heavily praised solely because of it, even with all the heavy criticisms of the XL’s screen issues. It’s amazing how any hardware issues can be looked past because the software is that good. This used to be Apples forte, they used to be the kings of software but they just aren’t anymore. I never thought I’d find myself going with Android but I will go with whatever phone gives me the best software experience and that certainly isn’t Apple anymore. Year after year I wait for them to prove me wrong and think “maybe this will be the year they fix everything and get it right”, but they never do, it only gets worse.

Sad. A few years ago I used to put my trust in this company because back then you were guaranteed a good experience. Now? You have to cross your fingers and hope for them to get it right and I just can’t be bothered waiting for that to happen anymore.

I know all situations are not the same, but saying the X is riddled with bugs, lags, and micro center is baffling to me. I totally believe you, but it's crazy to me because I haven't experienced that at all. I haven't had any issues at all, super smooth and fast, no stutters. Easily the fastest iPhone I have had. I set up mine as new though so maybe that has something to do with it. I hadn't had any major issues with iOS 11 though so maybe I am lucky. I started with 11.0 beta 1 and it was solid around beta 3 and onward for me. Even better on the iPad. Just wild.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I have the iphone X and I'm still pissed off at the RAM they have in there. It's not enough! If I have an app open and I go into Safari to look at something then go right back to that app, most of the time I have to wait for the app to refresh itself. It's getting annoying.

I'm still loving my X, just some issues they need to fix with the next one.
I'm familiar with the need for RAM, but not sure what you're experiencing. When I switch apps, the only thing that it does is reload the data, not anything else about the app. I'm not entirely sure that's a RAM thing more than a bandwidth thing. Maybe some apps shouldn't be refreshing data, but most apps I use refresh when I switch to it. Also, I know RAM is faster than flash memory, but I don't know if I would notice it during app switching even if it did use flash memory. Am I missing a point in this RAM controversy?

2ndtry

Suspended
Dec 15, 2017
What’s interesting to me is this forum is so hostile to those that dislike one thing or the other about the X and who want it either better, reports same, or find some bugs to report and some hard-core Apple user have to bad mouth the post, belittle the poster with something like “your holding it wrong” or some other immature remark. I don’t see the same with the android Central forum for some reason or very little of it compared to here. Perhaps this forum should grow-up or some changes should be made. I doubt it and I’m waiting for some silly responses.

I want the iPhone X to be a whole lot better than it is. If Samsung can do it (without notch-finger print reader-IP68, etc) why the heck can’t Apple do it? And please don’t tell me that it’s a gorgeous phone or it’s The best phone on the market, it’s not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.