Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple privacy chief Jane Horvath is set to leave the company to join a law firm, according to a new report from Bloomberg. Horvath has served as Apple's Chief Privacy Officer for the last couple of years, and before that, she was senior director of global privacy at the company.

apple-jane-horvath.jpg

Horvath has worked for Apple for more than a decade in total, and she has also worked at Google and was Chief Privacy Officer of the U.S. Department of Justice. Going forward, Horvath will be working at law firm Gibson, Dunn, and Crutcher LLP, which has worked with Apple in the past and handled Apple's recent legal battle against Epic Games.

During her time as Chief Privacy Officer, Horvath spoke about privacy publicly on behalf of Apple on several occasions, including CES in 2020 and the 2022 Computers, Privacy, and Data Protection conference in Brussels.

Bloomberg says that Horvath was also responsible for Apple's dealings with trade groups and Capitol Hill, as well as compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in Europe.

Apple has been dealing with major potential privacy issues as of late, and is facing legislation that would weaken the protections the App Store offers the iPhone in multiple countries. The Digital Markets Act in Europe calls for the sideloading of apps, as does U.S. legislation that's being considered. Apple has not provided details on who will replace Horvath.

Article Link: Apple's Chief Privacy Officer Jane Horvath to Depart Company

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
How many such completely useless departments are there at Apple?

Hey, Privacy is not useless, it is a human right.

Everything that happens in my iPhone stays in the iPhone.

There is no way any app that went through the rigorous review process of the App Store is capable of harvesting my data, or scamming me out of my money, it is impossible.

/s

---

Privacy at Apple is just an arm of the Public Relations and Advertising office.

XXPP

Suspended
Jun 30, 2019
Hey, Privacy is not useless, it is a human right.

Everything that happens in my iPhone stays in the iPhone.

There is no way any app that went through the rigorous review process of the App Store is capable of harvesting my data.

/s
You did not understand. These things should be handled by the Legal Department. Creating a special department with a million dollar boss is a waste of money.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Good riddance.

Apple is no longer the beacon of tech privacy it once was. Timmy can say whatever he wants to but when you try slipping in backdoors to your os's and grab your ankles for despotic regimes under the "follow laws....." claptrap your soapbox has cumbled.

Privacy, that used to be iPhone

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
she has also worked at Google and was Chief Privacy Officer of the U.S. Department of Justice.
And before that, for all you "dot-commers", Horvath was at AOL and Digital Cities. She may have made some bank there, depending on when and how she joined but I wouldn't be surprised if her Apple departure is tied to the vesting of a last tranche of super valuable stock/stock options.

YMMV

----------
ETA: prior to Apple, it looks like Horvath was based in the Mid Atlantic region for many years, including law school. So another possibility for her leaving Apple is that she's tired of dealing with time zone differences and/or cross-country travel. Gibson Dunn is a global firm that has an office in DC.

Last edited:

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Wait, Apple's chief privacy officer is someone who had worked at Google and DoJ? Maybe that's a good thing she's leaving.
I think people fail to realize there’s a selling point to privacy and it’s giving the illusion of privacy to consumers. Google, Meta and others are working hard at this illusion since people are starting to wake up so hiding it is harder.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I think people fail to realize there’s a selling point to privacy and it’s giving the illusion of privacy to consumers. Google, Meta and others are working hard at this illusion since people are starting to wake up so hiding it is harder.
Thus it seems more like a positive in my view when an ex Google/DoJ person is leaving Apple. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: hacky

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
You did not understand. These things should be handled by the Legal Department. Creating a special department with a million dollar boss is a waste of money.
The legal department won’t come up with ideas to protect the privacy of the customers…

Reactions: michelb76

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
She will easily be replaced someone is always willing to do her job for equal or less money
This is not flipping hamburgers though. They need to find the right fit because the person that gets elected will shape Apple’s approach towards privacy. In my opinion it’s a good thing she’s gone after the CSAM debacle

Reactions: IllinoisCorn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.