Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Apple hired him, and his priorities evidently changed during the pandemic so he resigned.

I really don't see the problem here, people are allowed to leave their jobs once they feel it's no longer a good fit for them.

The only story here is the number of people upset at a stranger for making what he feels is the right choice for his career/life.

You are right, he can leave if he wants but we are talking about the greater idea of people demanding to work from home or will quit their jobs. Sure 1 or 2 can do it, but once this becomes a general idea in the community employees will bash with employers at one point one has to give up either the employee needs the job or the employer needs the employees.

I am willing to bet the employers will win simply because there are many people out there with 0 income, got debts, want to eat, and will happily accept a $60k-$100k/year salary with the minor inconvenience of having to attend the work place.

Reactions: usagora

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Strawman.

Show me someone who has done the work that he's done and has the accomplishments that he's done.

Discovering a new area of science requires background, experience, talent and interest. Intense interest.

Newton died but you're discounting his contributions.

let me flip it around, show me he is the only one on earth who understands machine learning.

I am not discounting his contributions, I am saying we do not need him to go on. Someone will pick up where he left, just like this Goodfellow guy had contributions at Apple will have someone pick up after him. Life goes on.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
My father worked for NASA for many years on interplanetary probes, so the stargazing thing has deep roots.

Where I live in Scotland you can still see the Milky Way at night with the unaided eye. I've seen comets, impressive meteor showers (including an impressive outburst of the Leonids in the early 2000's), occultations of planets, both solar and lunar eclipses, the aurora, and a bunch of wildlife I wouldn't normally see if it weren't for stargazing. It has a way of putting things in perspective. :)
😊 I am envious ❤️

I suspect that Scotland is not the astronomy Mecca that he's painted it as - he probably only has a dozen clear nights a year :) I had some beautiful weather there when I visited many year ago - but I think I got very lucky!

• Love
Reactions: dysamoria

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You are right, he can leave if he wants but we are talking about the greater idea of people demanding to work from home or will quit their jobs. Sure 1 or 2 can do it, but once this becomes a general idea in the community employees will bash with employers at one point one has to give up either the employee needs the job or the employer needs the employees.
(Discussing companies in the fortune list, not mom and pop startups ) It’s also better if there is a two way street between mgmt and employees. However, it doesn’t always work out that employers and employees see eye to eye and then both have to make a decision. The idea that thousands of non-exempt employees will bash with their employee in a public for profit company and risk losing their jobs, profit sharing, medical benefits etc is not viable.
I am willing to bet the employers will win simply because there are many people out there with 0 income, got debts, want to eat, and will happily accept a $60k-$100k/year salary with the minor inconvenience of having to attend the work place.
Yes. Those that absolutely don’t want to rto, can find a new job.

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011

Software developers at Apple don't make $60K-$100K. If that's what you're willing to pay for a Software Engineer, you will not retain any talent at all.

Senior developers are compensated (i.e. base + bonus + stock) upwards of $350K... These individuals possess skills that aren't readily available locally.

If you want to let go of your entire workforce because you're unwilling to compromise with them, then you'll just end up without anyone working for you.

Returning to office isn't a big deal for a lot of people, but for those that want remote work, the opportunities have arisen, and there are several openings paying very well for strictly remote work.

This is the free market in action, I'm not sure why some of you are upset by this.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Wait wait wait. You said "the government work from home are one of the most abused work situations during Covid" and then you proceeded to describe a HOSPITAL's problem with IT people. Are you outside the US and talking about a government hospital? In the USA, I am unaware of government hospitals. Pretty sure we don't have those anymore.
Government hospital

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
True. Retail employees for example get treated differently than professional employees. But making exceptions only for certain employees breeds discontent, imo.
There are already tons of cases of different treatment, depending on what part of the company people work for.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Yes, a favor of remuneration for services rendered. It's the employers paycheck.
That’s literally not a favor. It’s exchange. Worker’s time for the company’s money. The worker’s labor for the company’s money. Etc. In reality, the employer keeps far more of the value in the agreement, so it’s not a balanced exchange, and it’s absolutely no kind of favor.

I don’t understand why people keep persisting with this appeal to employers as deserving of some kind of special regard. I can only assume it’s some kind of acculturation process rooted in the hierarchical systems we’re bright up within.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Software developers at Apple don't make $60K-$100K. If that's what you're willing to pay for a Software Engineer, you will not retain any talent at all.

Senior developers are compensated (i.e. base + bonus + stock) upwards of $350K... These individuals possess skills that aren't readily available locally.

If you want to let go of your entire workforce because you're unwilling to compromise with them, then you'll just end up without anyone working for you.

Returning to office isn't a big deal for a lot of people, but for those that want remote work, the opportunities have arisen, and there are several openings paying very well for strictly remote work.

This is the free market in action, I'm not sure why some of you are upset by this.

I was talking about the general public, not Apple employees. Apple can pay them $1M each if they wanted to.

I am not upset, I am just sending a warning . If people think they will have their way they will soon realise how tough real life is. People already have jobs, a salary, and they still can't make ends meet. Now imagine quitting because you do not want to go to the office!

Indeed, it is a free market and we will se who gives in first, the employer who has the funds to higher others looking for work or the employee who refuses to work unless he gets paid from home.

• Haha
Reactions: millerj123

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That’s literally not a favor. It’s exchange. Worker’s time for the company’s money. The worker’s labor for the company’s money. Etc. In reality, the employer keeps far more of the value in the agreement, so it’s not a balanced exchange, and it’s absolutely no kind of favor.

I don’t understand why people keep persisting with this appeal to employers as deserving of some kind of special regard. I can only assume it’s some kind of acculturation process rooted in the hierarchical systems we’re bright up within.
The post quoted was some type of snark. As I said in other posts employment is at will and both the employer and employee evaluate one another prior to a candidate accepting a position.

The only reason I believe the people believe some special consideration is that being at-will you can be terminated for any number of legal reasons.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There are already tons of cases of different treatment, depending on what part of the company people work for.
As I understand it from my friend who is an HR person for apple, exceptions tend to be worked out with HR in the middle based on specific situations. Other than that employees have to follow corporate policy.

nebojsak

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
Indeed, it is a free market and we will se who gives in first, the employer who has the funds to higher others looking for work or the employee who refuses to work unless he gets paid from home.

That's right, we will see. In the meantime, can we agree on that employee has the rights to choose anything that suits them?

Reactions: millerj123

sudo-sandwich

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Really? You are going to play hardball with your employer?
I am, in a month when I tell them I've got a better offer from another FAANG company. Wish me luck.
Still would never join a union (a tiny one does exist there), both out of principle and for practical reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
That's right, we will see. In the meantime, can we agree on that employee has the rights to choose anything that suits them?

Yes of course. I dont care about this guy, he can leave and I am sure replaceable. In fact, if he finds it bothersome i urge him to quit because you shouldn't be doing something that causes you misery. He probably can get a job anywhere he wants and already has millions in the bank to live off. i just don't want the general public living pay check to pay check to follow in his footsteps for their own good.

Really? You are going to play hardball with your employer?

You can if you can afford not to have a job

I am, in a month when I tell them I've got a better offer from another FAANG company. Wish me luck.
Still would never join a union (a tiny one does exist there), both out of principle and for practical reasons.

Not everyone has a ready offer from another competitor, in fact many are just looking for a job...any job...but if you have multiple offers and have money to live off in the bank you actually go all the way and make demands on your employer given how much he needs you not how much you need him.

-What principle you do not want to join union for? I thought a union is always better for the employee. I do not know much about the topic.

Reactions: dysamoria

lxmeta

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2018
Austria
👍🏽

How else are workers to change a working situation they do not like, if they otherwise would like to continue doing the same work at the same company? There's no union to negotiate with management.
Again, these are not „workers“. They are highly payed employees, and they are not mistreated in an unreasonable manner. You are mixing them up with workers in a car factory. Just move on and get another job you like more
Why?

Okay, but this isn't YOUR team.
What’s your point. They are not your team either. But I can relate at least
Possibly. I have not really weighed in on Apple's terms other than feeling that they're pushing too far too fast, and I think it's because of their insane main campus being largely empty and having spent insane money on it. I do not buy into PR babble from any corporation. After my life experiences, I will take employee commentary en mass over management or HR statements.
Managers at all levels are employees as well. I think you are living the „managers are bad people“ dream here. I think Apples request is very reasonable. So, I simply disagree…
I am not one of those people rejecting returning to Apple's offices. I am not going to judge them over a situation I am not in. I DO have quite a lot of reaction to people who WILL judge them for it, though.
I do have a strong opinion.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Don’t blame him. I’d I were forced back to the office knowing all the remote opportunities out there. I’d leave as well.

Reactions: friedmud

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
let me flip it around, show me he is the only one on earth who understands machine learning.

I am not discounting his contributions, I am saying we do not need him to go on. Someone will pick up where he left, just like this Goodfellow guy had contributions at Apple will have someone pick up after him. Life goes on.

Your argument is that you play tennis and so does Rafa Nadal. So there are lots of tennis players out there.

This is not the case.

This should be so obvious to anyone with a research and engineering backgrounds.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I was talking about the general public, not Apple employees. Apple can pay them $1M each if they wanted to.

I am not upset, I am just sending a warning . If people think they will have their way they will soon realise how tough real life is. People already have jobs, a salary, and they still can't make ends meet. Now imagine quitting because you do not want to go to the office!

You don't get these folks. These folks are already very well off. They could just take off a year or two or three or five if they wanted to.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Your argument is that you play tennis and so does Rafa Nadal. So there are lots of tennis players out there.

This is not the case.

This should be so obvious to anyone with a research and engineering backgrounds.

No my argument is there is Rafa Nadal , and there is Novak Djokovic , Daniil Medvedev, Alexander Zverev, and Stefanos Tsitsipas.

You don't get these folks. These folks are already very well off. They could just take off a year or two or three or five if they wanted to.
I know, but not everyone is like that so hence my warning for common folks not to walk in his path

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
No my argument is there is Rafa Nadal , and there is Novak Djokovic , Daniil Medvedev, Alexander Zverev, and Stefanos Tsitsipas.

I know, but not everyone is like that so hence my warning for common folks not to walk in his path

Medvedev, Zverev and Tsitsipas are not in the same category of Nadal and Djokovic. Winning 20 slams is very, very hard.

The thing is that they command outsized rewards compared to the rest of the pro tour. If you're outside the top 100 players, you're barely scraping by. With folks like Goodfellow, you have companies competing for them, not tournaments. And there are lots of companies and very, very few people that do what they do. The other major aspect is that they are researchers and experts at their areas of research. You often do have only one person in the world that is a top expert at their research area. You can bring someone else in but it may take them years to get up to the same level.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Maybe YOU need that but I’m far more creative and innovative while wfh. Frankly I wasn’t the least bit surprised by this as I’ve always known I’m more comfortable in an environment with less distractions and a flexible schedule. What surprised me was that even my extrovert coworkers that may prefer the social aspect of being in the office, are actually more productive at home as well.

My point was that when it comes to design ing new products and services, in terms of what Apple creates, in-person collaboration is key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.