Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
Meanwhile the Tesla response to WFH: Sure you can work remotely, after you put in your 40 hours in the office.

Subject: Remote work is no longer acceptble

Anyone who wishes to do remote work must be in the office for a minimum (and I mean *minimum*) of 40 hours per week or depart Tesla. This is less than we ask of factory workers.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Meanwhile the Tesla response to WFH: Sure you can work remotely, after you put in your 40 hours in the office.

The expectation in tech companies is 60 hours a week or more. I'm a bit surprised that Tesla factory workers put in a lot of hours given the reputation that they don't pay well. Maybe they give out stock options.

Working remotely is taken for granted on with the software side given that you only hire workaholics anyways. That is you put in the up-front screening so that you don't hire slackers.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The expectation in tech companies is 60 hours a week or more. I'm a bit surprised that Tesla factory workers put in a lot of hours given the reputation that they don't pay well. Maybe they give out stock options.

Working remotely is taken for granted on with the software side given that you only hire workaholics anyways. That is you put in the up-front screening so that you don't hire slackers.

I suspect Musk and Cook aren't actually too far apart in terms of their stance on return to the office. With that said, I also know that two years of remote work has led to some employees having different priorities / objectives. I am not convinced Musk's “my way or the highway” approach is the best long-term strategy (Apple at least still seems to be trying to negotiate some form of middle ground with hybrid work arrangements), but I also expect more tech companies to shift their stance regarding WFH to more closely match that of Apple’s over time.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I suspect Musk and Cook aren't actually too far apart in terms of their stance on return to the office. With that said, I also know that two years of remote work has led to some employees having different priorities / objectives. I am not convinced Musk's “my way or the highway” approach is the best long-term strategy (Apple at least still seems to be trying to negotiate some form of middle ground with hybrid work arrangements), but I also expect more tech companies to shift their stance regarding WFH to more closely match that of Apple’s over time.

JOLTS are still showing employees have a strong hand in the current labor market and Apple has had to play defense lately on retail employee unionization.

Musk came out and said that he thinks that there are big problems coming in the economy and was going to fire 10% of the company this week. He changed his mind last night or today. It costs a lot of money to fire a lot of employees and his statement on RTO may have just been a way to try to get people to quit ahead of a 10% employee cut so that Tesla wouldn't have to pay severance and other separation costs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.