Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Damn. There goes my dream of running emulators on the iPad without needing AltStore. Couldn't care less about alternative app stores on the iPhone.
From https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_23_4328:

"In addition, the Commission has opened a market investigation to further assess whether Apple's iPadOS should be designated as gatekeeper, despite not meeting the thresholds. Under the DMA, this investigation should be completed within a maximum of 12 months."

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Once again, this is what YOU think, but that doesn’t mean everyone needs to do the same! I think there is no ”Apple-like” solution that wouldn’t make a sideolading-enabled iOS worse than it currently is, that the EU is wrong, and any implementation of their act will make the iPhone a worse phone.

I think Apple’s solution is fine because, precisely, it strongly discourages anyone from trying to i.e. use customer browser engines. What would be surprising is that Apple, who has always thought this kind of measures are detrimental to users, wouldn’t try to do everything to hinder them as much as possible.
So you think that it’s perfectly fine that dev A releases their free app on the Apple AppStore and the don’t get to pay anything at all aside the yearly dev fee, no matter how successful the app is; but dev B puts their free app on a perfectly legal secondary AppStore, pays the same developer fee as dev A, but ends up owing Apple potentially millions of dollars in money that they haven’t even made, should the dream become a reality and the app be a success?

You may say ‘just be dev A’ - but aside that not being the spirit of the law, that’s also having to bow to Apples misguided moral compass and having to abide what they think you should be allowed to consume. Like my vape app that I’m not ‘allowed’ to have on iOS. After all Apple says it’s bad for me so no beans.

That’s all ok in your book?

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
No one's being forced to buy an iPhone.

The post I was responding to claimed that sideloading would make the iPhone worse. My point was that it won't, because anyone who's not interested in sideloading will be completely unaffected by any problems it may introduce.

Those who choose to sideload are big boys who can make their own decisions. Personally, I would expect any reputable store to be fine. The fact no one's forcing you to buy an iPhone isn't really relevant to the discussion.

vantelimus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
The post I was responding to claimed that sideloading would make the iPhone worse. My point was that it won't, because anyone who's not interested in sideloading will be completely unaffected by any problems it may introduce.

Those who choose to sideload are big boys who can make their own decisions. Personally, I would expect any reputable store to be fine. The fact no one's forcing you to buy an iPhone isn't really relevant to the discussion.
You assume that people will understand the difference between an app from the Apple Store and one from a side-load store. You assume that people won't be socially engineered into dropping their guard. That works for the upper third of the bell-curve, or at least those in the upper third who are paying attention. The rest are just screwed.

Appleman3546

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2019
With the EU’s new Digital Markets Act taking effect on March 7, 2024, will Xbox and PlayStation have to open up their boxes to third party downloads via browser because of the companies market cap size? Apple had to due to market cap size. Sony and Microsoft both offer apps on their boxes too like Netflix Disney plus etc. Obviously game pass and PlayStation plus would remain the same, but could Sony be forced in the EU to allow third party apps downloaded from a browser like game pass app? Or Xbox be forced in the EU to allow third party apps downloaded from a browser like PlayStation plus or epic games store?

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
No one's being forced to use a third party app store. The EU directive just gives you the option, should you want to. If you want to keep everything 100% Apple, as many people will, just do nothing different and continue as you were.

As ever with Apple, there's genuine points about security and stability, mixed in with an obvious profit motive. Apple's executives work for their board of directors, not the customer.
Just like increasing/decreasing the speed limit affects you even if you’re not planning to drive faster/slower, opening up to 3rd party app stores can affect you even if you’re not planning to use them.

I do think Apple is concerned about losing quite some profit, but also about security and stability. Both things are not mutually exclusive. And it doesn’t matter whether Apple executives care for customers or not; if customers don’t like their products, this will ultimately lead to angry shareholders/board of directors.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Here is the thing that no one has mentioned yet… this is all based on a minority of people with a loud voice saying this will be better for consumers.

It won’t. Why?

Because the main argument is “well if you don’t want to use an alternative App Store, you won’t have to”.

Hmmm… how is that going to play out? Everyone is going to go “exclusive”. The theory that developers will push their apps to all stores is laughable.

What will happen? It will be HARDER for average folk to get the apps they want and more likely to get scammed in the process.

Look at premier league rights in the UK: “it’s better for consumers to have competition to lower prices and no monopoly”. Ask any football fan if that’s how they feel, or if they would actually like an MLS pass like setup from 1 company, 1 way to watch and 1 bill to pay…

I love the EU but this really is such a silly move…
It isn’t based on a minority and a market research to the general public and business opinion on the matter. you simply have a misunderstanding of the mission statement of EU in regards to the market. Consumer are only one of many factors that is important.

1. The EU takes a broader view and has the goal of maintaining transparent markets and a "level playing field". Thus, the main objectives of the EU competition law are:
  2. to maintain openness
  3. to unify the internal market;
  4. to ensure economic efficiency in the marketplace
  5. to ensure the conditions of effective competition and competitiveness
  6. and to protect consumers.
The main argument is:
Apple will need to compete on merit to maintain developers in their store. If developers exits the store and chooses to use alternative stores exclusively, then that’s the market working because the AppStore can’t compete etc.

If chrome becomes dominant on safari, EU won’t have an issue with it as long as it was fairly earned and safari lost on merit.
1. The following shall be seen as incompatible with the internal market: all agreements between undertakings which have as their object or effect the prevention, restriction or distortion of competition within the internal market, and in particular those which:
(a) directly or indirectly fix purchase or selling prices or any other trading conditions
(b) limit or control production, markets, technical development, or investment
(c) share markets or sources of supply
(d) apply dissimilar conditions to equivalent transactions with other trading parties, thereby placing them at a competitive disadvantage
(e) make the conclusion of contracts subject to acceptance by the other parties of supplementary obligations which, by their nature or according to commercial usage, have no connection with the subject of such contracts.
3. The provisions of paragraph 1 may, however, be declared inapplicable in the case of:

any agreement or category of agreements between undertakings which contributes to improving the production or distribution of goods or to promoting technical or economic progress, while allowing consumers a fair share of the resulting benefit, and which does not:

(a) impose on the undertakings concerned restrictions which are not indispensable to the attainment of these objectives
(b) afford such undertakings the possibility of eliminating competition in respect of a substantial part of the products in question.

The term "undertaking" is a Eurospeak word for any person(s) or firms in an enterprise, and is used to describe those "engaged in an economic activity".
Fair point, we might prefer some OS but not like some specific point about it. But the problem is:
  • You consider sideloading would make iOS better for the users.
  • Apple and many other users consider it would make it worse.
If apple decides what should be done and they’re wrong, they will be fully responsible for it, and it will affect their sales.

Now the EU decides what should be done, but they won’t be accountable for anything. No EU commissioner will loose money if this screws their citizens. However, Apple would still loose sales, reputation, receive customer complaints, etc. because their product is worse.

Without even getting into the content, I think this over-regulation trend of the EU will create perverse incentives, because no alternative visions are allowed in the market, and no one is so responsible for its products.

Think about it twice… you might like how this specific change affects you, but consider all the derived consequences of this kind of actions.
Well it’s not that I consider it would be better but a fundamental part of ownership and the rights of the users.

And remember in EU the phone+ software is largely seen as a private property issue Apple is interfering with. Apple isn’t ever seen as the owner of iOS if a consumer have purchased it.

A computer and a smartphone isn’t treated differently and EU legislation doesn’t have a reason to treat it differently ether.

Last edited:

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
With the EU’s new Digital Markets Act taking effect on March 7, 2024, will Xbox and PlayStation have to open up their boxes to third party downloads via browser because of the companies market cap size? Apple had to due to market cap size. Sony and Microsoft both offer apps on their boxes too like Netflix Disney plus etc. Obviously game pass and PlayStation plus would remain the same, but could Sony be forced in the EU to allow third party apps downloaded from a browser like game pass app? Or Xbox be forced in the EU to allow third party apps downloaded from a browser like PlayStation plus or epic games store?
Currently no because they aren’t large enough in regards to users and revenue. Plus they already employ alternative platforms where developers can sell their products and consumers can purchase it.

And nether Xbox nor PlayStation have a dominant market position.

• Angry
Reactions: AlexMac89

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
So you think that it’s perfectly fine that dev A releases their free app on the Apple AppStore and the don’t get to pay anything at all aside the yearly dev fee, no matter how successful the app is; but dev B puts their free app on a perfectly legal secondary AppStore, pays the same developer fee as dev A, but ends up owing Apple potentially millions of dollars in money that they haven’t even made, should the dream become a reality and the app be a success?

You may say ‘just be dev A’ - but aside that not being the spirit of the law, that’s also having to bow to Apples misguided moral compass and having to abide what they think you should be allowed to consume. Like my vape app that I’m not ‘allowed’ to have on iOS. After all Apple says it’s bad for me so no beans.

That’s all ok in your book?
Yes, I think it’s perfectly fine. But it’s nothing personal against “dev B”. The problem is that you see third party App Stores as something good, and I (and Apple, and many users) don’t. So I think the morally right thing to do is to hinder the application of the act as much as possible, and be against the spirit of the law.

Of course they have to be smart and try to stay within the limits of the act - because Apple can’t let you buy another phone, but the EU unfortunately can forbid them from selling theirs. And even if I think sideloading is a bad idea for a phone, I would be totally on the side of Google if a law forbids companies from creating mobile OS where you can only install software from 3rd party app stores. That’s the difference: I don’t want anyone else to conform to my model, but I ask the same in reverse.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Yes, I think it’s perfectly fine. But it’s nothing personal against “dev B”. The problem is that you see third party App Stores as something good, and I (and Apple, and many users) don’t. So I think the morally right thing to do is to hinder the application of the act as much as possible, and be against the spirit of the law.

Of course they have to be smart and try to stay within the limits of the act - because Apple can’t let you buy another phone, but the EU unfortunately can forbid them from selling theirs. And even if I think sideloading is a bad idea for a phone, I would be totally on the side of Google if a law forbids companies from creating mobile OS where you can only install software from 3rd party app stores. That’s the difference: I don’t want anyone else to conform to my model, but I ask the same in reverse.
Well it’s not a moral right. It’s a fundamental principle when it comes to private property. just how I can do what I want with my car, my house or computer without the original sellers having a say.
I don’t see side loading as good, it’s a neutral act consumers and developers have a legal right to engage in.

Wha I see as immoral is apple forcing everyone to go through them as the middlemen in business transactions.

It’s not about the consumer, but the market they impact negatively. You can read the founding treaties of EU to understand it and the fundamental legal philosophy that governs EU.

In the U.S. you might have the freedom to do something free from government interference.

In EU you have the freedom from interference from Private AND public entities in your fundamental rights.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
PlayStation has much higher marketshare in desktop gaming consoles than the iPhone in mobile smartphones. The DMA has targeted the specific products they wanted to via ad-hoc conditions (turnover, business users…).
Market share isn’t relevant. It’s number of private users, businesses and revenue volume.

This is Ex anti law and nothing strange about it.
EU and USA have completely different philosophy dictating their legal theories

• Angry
Reactions: dk001 and AlexMac89

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
I'm of the opinion that anyone who truly, truly cared about Apple's position on all of this stuff bought into the wrong brand and should have switched to an Android option donkey's years ago. But as I say that's just an opinion and not very constructive, so as you were...

I won't be happy to until I can install Homebrew on my iOS devices and I do not care how scared people are about those bazillions of viruses and trojans just palpitating at the thought of squeezing through apple's gates into the plush gardens of low information users.. just my opinion. 😀

• Angry
Reactions: AlexMac89

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
How can a competing application store compete on similar terms if they must pay a commission on all sales to Apple who runs their own store and have no fee for themselves?

Well...without unpacking all of your self-preferential language and logic...this is one of the core problems to your argument.

The idea that Apple has "no fee for themselves" is to ignore all the costs involved in their business. It ignores infrastructure costs. It ignores development costs. It ignores employment costs. It ignores legal costs. It ignores marketing costs. It ignores R&D costs. It ignores every single cost of business that Apple has.

The statement that Apple has no "fees" is so obviously ridiculous as to question the seriousness of any of these efforts. It's like an activist's fantasy of how business operates. Not a serious discussion.

I've worked in politics my entire professional career. I've seen all sorts of naive discussions of business and policy initiatives proposed, discussed and written by people who have no basic understanding of how things work. And the DMA is right at home in that category of naive regulation.

The actual question is how can Apple compete when it bears all the costs and fees while the DMA is granting these services free to any business who wants to take advantage of Apple.

The DMA is not a serious piece of regulation. That doesn't mean it doesn't have power. It does. It has the power to make a big mess.

===

But the core problem to all the extensive content you're posting is that you're simply relying on the fallacy of authority. You list large swaths of language from the DMA itself; all sorts of bullet points and indented paragraphs and legalese, with the idea that it's impressive enough to back up your arguments. But at core, the basic philopshy of the DMA itself is intellectually bankrupt. It's bald protectionism that is meant to try to help the EU stay relevant in a market that it has failed to cultivate through means of tech innovation and sound business principles. As I've told you before; I get the effort. But it's an attempt to take a shortcut to trying to be relevant in an industry that it has failed to build within its own borders.

Want to compete in Tech? Then compete in tech. The EU will never legislate itself into tech relevance.

Last edited:

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
For decades, the fight over who “owns” the software has been won in the courts wherein you purchase the hardware and are using the software. And that purchase is contingent on accepting the EULA, which you sign the first time you turn on the machine.

I doubt this will change.

What is going on here is that politicians are unhappy with the control that Big Tech has on the economy and society. That’s it. This isn’t really about opening up anything as there is ample competition from Android.

Remember that other mobile OS companies who didn’t have a gate keeper (REM, Palm, Microsoft) all failed with the exception of Android which is to mobile devices what Windows is to desktops.

The entire purpose of these new laws is to remove power and authority from corporations and put it in the hands of the government bureaucrats. Apple is fighting a good fight because 1. They risk loosing lots of money on a very profitable platform and 2. Apple knows very well that once you open this up, hackers, scammers, sudo applications, data miners, etc. will be able to exploit the public in ways most of us will never fully understand. Just remember how upset Google and Facebook were when Apple killed tracking.

Either way, I think that any changes will take a long time to have any effect as most users love the ease of use of the Apple Store and Apple will market the hell out of the security concerns of installing apps outside the Apple Store.

Last edited:

Catasstrophy

Suspended
Jan 22, 2024
Damn. There goes my dream of running emulators on the iPad without needing AltStore. Couldn't care less about alternative app stores on the iPhone.
Look up AppDB[dot]to. Users sell slots on real dev accounts via what seems to be a mostly automated process. Then you can install apps direct to your phone right through it without the 7 day refresh.

Reactions: mode11

ChromeCloud

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Italy
Fair point, we might prefer some OS but not like some specific point about it. But the problem is:
  • You consider sideloading would make iOS better for the users.
  • Apple and many other users consider it would make it worse.
If Apple decides what should be done and they’re wrong, they will be fully responsible for it, and it will affect their sales.

Now the EU decides what should be done, but they won’t be accountable for anything. No EU commissioner will loose money if this screws their citizens. However, Apple would still loose sales, reputation, receive customer complaints, etc. because their product is worse.

Without even getting into the content, I think this over-regulation trend of the EU will create perverse incentives, because no alternative visions are allowed in the market, and no one is so responsible for its products.

Think about it twice… you might like how this specific change affects you, but consider all the derived consequences of this kind of actions.
I love your analysis.

And that's the best case scenario.

The worst case scenario is that the government is corrupt and the legislators are getting paid to push some shady agenda by regulating the market "for the greater good" (translation: for the benefit of whom is paying them).

Maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist, but I am deeply convinced that this DMA is being pushed by Google to take away Apple's competitive advantages and turn the iPhone into "just another phone".

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
Maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist, but I am deeply convinced that this DMA is being pushed by Google to take away Apple's competitive advantages and turn the iPhone into "just another phone".

Equally, an iPhone that also has the option to install apps that Apple doesn't approve of (e.g. console emulators) sounds like the best of both worlds. Having said that, I've got no interest in this stuff when it comes to the iPhone; my (limited) needs are met just fine there. The iPad on the other hand would benefit greatly from being opened up in all sorts of ways, rather than just being treated like a big-screen iPhone.

Reactions: dk001

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
Just like increasing/decreasing the speed limit affects you even if you’re not planning to drive faster/slower, opening up to 3rd party app stores can affect you even if you’re not planning to use them.

I get how speed limits affect roads, but can you give an example of how my iPhone experience will be made worse when third party app stores become an option in March?

I do think Apple is concerned about losing quite some profit, but also about security and stability. Both things are not mutually exclusive.

I agree; that's exactly what I said.

And it doesn’t matter whether Apple executives care for customers or not; if customers don’t like their products, this will ultimately lead to angry shareholders/board of directors.

True, though it will only matter if people care enough about app stores to buy an Android phone instead. If people merely grumble and still buy iPhones, Apple won't care. Though I don't personally intend to use a 3rd party store on my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.