Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's global security chief, Thomas Moyer, has been cleared by a California judge of bribery charges following accusations that the security chief participated in a scheme to donate 200 iPads worth $75,000 to the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office in exchange for concealed gun permits, Reuters reports.

apple-park-drone-june-2018-2.jpg

According to the charges brought forward in November, Moyer agreed to donate 200 iPads to the Sheriff's office in exchange for concealed gun permits for Apple's security team at a 2019 meeting. Furthermore, according to prosecutors, Moyer acted upon the request of Santa Clara County Undersheriff Rick Sung, who allegedly threatened to withhold the permits unless the iPads were donated.

Ultimately, a California judge believed that the iPad donations offered by Moyer came as a misunderstanding. According to the judge, by the time Moyer had offered the iPads, he was under the belief that the permits were already issued, rather than the iPads being a requirement for their issuance.
Judge Eric S. Geffon of the Superior Court of Santa Clara County found on Tuesday that Moyer had been in talks with the Sheriff's Office about permits for more than a year by the time of the 2019 meeting. By then, Geffon wrote, the evidence suggests Moyer believed the permits were already approved and would be issued soon.
Judge Eric S. Geffon also further noted that the argument against Moyer is "pure speculation" and "not supported by the evidence presented to the grand jury." Moyer, in a statement, thanked the court for "giving this case such careful consideration, and for allowing me to move forward with my life."

Article Link: Apple's Global Security Chief Cleared of Bribery Charges Following Accusation of Scheme to Trade iPads for Gun Permits

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Why does Apple want gun permits? Aren’t they anti-2A? Or is that just for us poor peasants? They should be able to have guns in their death star?
It's for their trained security people who they pay to protect their interests and their executives. Tim Cook alone has had people break into the grounds of his home on several occasions and Apple pays millions in security every year.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Wait, it's the county who "requested" for the iPads, no? Apple shouldn't be guilty if it's already proven that the corrupt county was the one demanding for it. Plus, Moyer went through the proper procedures internally for the donations. People should be looking at the county officers.

People in California should be asking themselves about the corrupt officers, and why they were in their positions.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
I believe it is along the lines of “Guns for me but not for thee”. Guns are only bad when other people have them but Apple needs them.
No, its really not. There is a significant difference between trained people needing firearms as part of their job and random untrained people having firearms just because they want them. Where ever one stands on the gun control argument, that difference is still there.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I believe it is along the lines of “Guns for me but not for thee”. Guns are only bad when other people have them but Apple needs them.
Huh? What are you talking about? This is about a corrupt government officials, and Apple got caught in the middle.

As I understand it, one needs a permit to carry concealed guns in California. Apple security chief applied for those permits, but the undersheriff of the county apparently "asked" for iPad donations , you know, if you want the process to be "smooth." This is TYPICAL of corrupt government officials. Apple security chief could probably choose not to oblige, but the permits might take forever to be ready.

There is nothing about "gun for me but not for you" stuff here. I believe you can also apply for those permits yourself as an individual.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Smart move. See, this is how you're supposed to skirt the law.

You send the "gifts" after the application has been approved. The permits need to be renewed every 2 years and can be revoked at any time. It's about trust on both sides.

Apple always donates iPads to Sheriff's Offices around the country, don't they? ?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Smart move. See, this is how you're supposed to skirt the law.

You send the "gifts" after the application has been approved. The permits need to be renewed every 2 years and can be revoked at any time. It's about trust on both sides.

Apple always donates iPads to Sheriff's Offices around the country, don't they? ?
The sheriff office apparently was the one asking for the donations. As a business, what would you do? You could choose not to oblige but then got nothing done, did the deal on the side, or you followed your internal sop. Moyer did the 3rd option, followed the proper procedures internally at Apple for the donations. That's why the judge decided that to clear the charges on Moyer. It's all in the news article.

Again, this is about corrupt officials, which they have been indicted as well.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Something troubling about the judgement and actions of Apple's Global Security Chief. If the law enforcement authority asked for these "donations" why did the Apple chief not report this unethical ask to other relevant law enforcement officials? Apple certainly takes every step to follow the laws in other countries but do they choose to not do the same on home soil as things may not happen as quickly as they would like if they don't grease the wheels?

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
. Tim Cook alone has had people break into the grounds of his home on several occasions
They were just customers who had their legitimate requests for keyboard, screen and other repairs turned down in Apple stores. A loyal customer will only put up with so much insulting neglect before he or she takes other steps. Other steps which I do not condone just for the public record.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Something troubling about the judgement and actions of Apple's Global Security Chief. If the law enforcement authority asked for these "donations" why did the Apple chief not report this unethical ask to other relevant law enforcement officials? Apple certainly takes every step to follow the laws in other countries but do they choose to not do the same on home soil as things may not happen as quickly as they would like if they don't grease the wheels?
Report to who? The sheriff herself, the person who signed those permits, seemed to be involved as well.

Like I said, if you were a business, often time you don't have a choice. You can pretend to be naive, or work it out internally. Moyer did follow the proper internal sop for the donations (instead of doing a side deal), thus the judge cleared Moyer from the charges.

Reactions: amartinez1660

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Report to who? The sheriff herself, the person who signed those permits, seemed to be involved as well.

Like I said, if you were a business, often time you don't have a choice. You can pretend to be naive, or work it out internally. Moyer did follow the proper internal sop for the donations (instead of doing a side deal), thus the judge cleared Moyer from the charges.
That law enforcement body comes under some other authority or authorities in some way, perhaps for funding at a minimum. Be it city government or state government, some body has the power to stop or change the behaviour.

So you agree that Apple, the self proclaimed doer of all good and no bad, did the correct thing by going along with the local way of operating in spite of that way appearing to be very shady and likely illegal?

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
Why does Apple want gun permits? Aren’t they anti-2A? Or is that just for us poor peasants? They should be able to have guns in their death star?
YOU are not allowed to have guns, you are not allowed to have a public police that maintains the rule of law, you are not allowed to have a secure boarder free from invasion. Meanwhile, THEY have private security forces, they live in gated communities with armed guards ready to shoot you dead, and they fly around the world in private jets while making more money than ever before impoverishing the working person. So liberal, loving, and progressive!

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
That law enforcement body comes under some other authority or authorities in some way, perhaps for funding at a minimum. Be it city government or state government, some body has the power to stop or change the behaviour.

So you agree that Apple, the self proclaimed doer of all good and no bad, did the correct thing by going along with the local way of operating in spite of that way appearing to be very shady and likely illegal?
Have you tried reporting your local government officials? Also, there's no white nor black in the real world of business, everything is a shade of grey. Or you are just too naive.

This is news about corrupt officials. You have a weird obsessions about trying to spin this into something bad about Apple.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
YOU are not allowed to have guns, you are not allowed to have a public police that maintains the rule of law, you are not allowed to have a secure boarder free from invasion. Meanwhile, THEY have private security forces, they live in gated communities with armed guards ready to shoot you dead, and they fly around the world in private jets while making more money than ever before impoverishing the working person. So liberal, loving, and progressive!
Who said you cannot have guns if you're in the US? You can apply for concealed carry permit yourself as an individual.

Reactions: TropN and Kabeyun

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Have you tried reporting your local government officials? Also, there's no white nor black in the real world of business, everything is a shade of grey. Or you are just too naive.

This is news about corrupt officials. You have a weird obsessions about trying to spin this into something bad about Apple.
Close your eyes to reality if you wish. As long as Apple keeps making your expensive toys, stay happy and oblivious.

Reactions: TakeshimaIslands

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Hold on a minute, the accusation against Moyer is that he offered a sherrifs office 200 ipads for gun permits and the judge found him not guilty because he belived Moyers excuse that he was in the belief that the permits he had been requesting had already been issued before the offer of the ipads was put before the sherrif's office and that because sherrif's office did not take possession of the ipads before gun permits were issued, moyer is found innocent!!!???

What about the possible scenerio of Moyer saying to the sherrif's office, 'issue the gun permits first and some time later I will donate you 200 ipads'. Didn't the judge take that possible scenerio into question???

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Hold on a minute, the accusation against Moyer is that he offered a sherrifs office 200 ipads for gun permits and the judge found him not guilty because he belived Moyers excuse that he was in the belief that the permits he had been requesting had already been issued before the offer of the ipads was put before the sherrif's office and that because sherrif's office did not take possession of the ipads before gun permits were issued, moyer is found innocent!!!???

What about the possible scenerio of Moyer saying to the sherrif's office, 'issue the gun permits first and some time later I will donate you 200 ipads'. Didn't the judge take that possible scenerio into question???
The officials in that sheriff county were under investigations for various other misconducts. From my perspective, it is more likely that they were the ones asking for "something" in return for a "smoother" process of the permit.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
The officials in that sheriff county were under investigations for various other misconducts. From my perspective, it is more likely that they were the ones asking for "something" in return for a "smoother" process of the permit.
I agree but the interesting part is that you find it fine that Apple has no moral problem with going along this route. As the old saying goes, we have established what you are, now we are just negotiating over the price

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.