Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Hold on a minute, the accusation against Moyer is that he offered a sherrifs office 200 ipads for gun permits and the judge found him not guilty because he belived Moyers excuse that he was in the belief that the permits he had been requesting had already been issued before the offer of the ipads was put before the sherrif's office and that because sherrif's office did not take possession of the ipads before gun permits were issued, moyer is found innocent!!!???

What about the possible scenerio of Moyer saying to the sherrif's office, 'issue the gun permits first and some time later I will donate you 200 ipads'. Didn't the judge take that possible scenerio into question???
The issue is that you don't go to jail for 'possible scenarios'.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
The problem is donation in exchange for permits.
Except he thought he had permits already so just donation. But 1). Entrapment, if sheriffs office asked for an illegal donation, can’t prosecute 2) if sheriffs asked for illegal donation, shouldn’t they go to jail for solicit bribes? This whole case seemed fishy from the get go

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
The sheriff office apparently was the one asking for the donations. As a business, what would you do? You could choose not to oblige but then got nothing done, did the deal on the side, or you followed your internal sop. Moyer did the 3rd option, followed the proper procedures internally at Apple for the donations. That's why the judge decided that to clear the charges on Moyer. It's all in the news article.

Again, this is about corrupt officials, which they have been indicted as well.
Paying bribes is illegal, period.

This is a good thing, because it discourages curropt behavior in the first place.

Last edited:

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I agree but the interesting part is that you find it fine that Apple has no moral problem with going along this route. As the old saying goes, we have established what you are, now we are just negotiating over the price
Moral problem with making donations? That is a good thing

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
“Judge Eric S. Geffon of the Superior Court of Santa Clara County found on Tuesday that Moyer had been in talks with the Sheriff's Office about permits for more than a year by the time of the 2019 meeting. By then, Geffon wrote on his new M1 iPad with Apple Pencil, that the evidence suggests Moyer believed the permits were already approved and would be issued soon.”

Fixed it for you ?

• Haha
Reactions: rumormiller

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
“Judge Eric S. Geffon of the Superior Court of Santa Clara County found on Tuesday that Moyer had been in talks with the Sheriff's Office about permits for more than a year by the time of the 2019 meeting. By then, Geffon wrote on his new M1 iPad with Apple Pencil, that the evidence suggests Moyer believed the permits were already approved and would be issued soon.”

Fixed it for you ?
Could that be considered libel against the judge? Let me email him and find out what he thinks

• Disagree
Reactions: rumormiller

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
The sheriff office apparently was the one asking for the donations. As a business, what would you do? You could choose not to oblige but then got nothing done, did the deal on the side, or you followed your internal sop. Moyer did the 3rd option, followed the proper procedures internally at Apple for the donations. That's why the judge decided that to clear the charges on Moyer. It's all in the news article.

Again, this is about corrupt officials, which they have been indicted as well.
The sheriff’s office was certainly the one at fault, but participating in the scheme is not right. This would certainly be covered in mandatory corporate ethics training that all Apple employees would need to take.

Something is missing from this story. I’m not sure, but I think they may not be allowed carry a weapon at all without the license. They obviously need to carry in this case. They may have felt pushed in a corner enough to resort to ethically questionable behavior. I’d be interested to know if they tried reporting this to the sec of state, but such a process may have been too onerous or they could have suffered payback from the sheriff’s office if it failed.

With the level of authority the Sheriff’s office has, I think it makes the ethics of the situation tricky for Apple. It is not as if they can just not do business.

Granting private security for a large corporation renewal of a license should be routine. The actors in the Sheriff’s office should face criminal charges over this.

Last edited:
Reactions: ian87w

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
No, its really not. There is a significant difference between trained people needing firearms as part of their job and random untrained people having firearms just because they want them. Where ever one stands on the gun control argument, that difference is still there.
These people are not “trained”.
They are police academy flunkies, and the last people you’d want handling firearms.

Apple should have to hire police if they want to have guns around.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Paying bribes is illegal, period.

This is a good thing, because it discourages curropt behavior in the first place.
Grey area if the permits were already granted, hence dismissal, was it illegal if there was no quid pro quo? For example a politician asks for an investigation into a rival and holds back aid conditionally on the outcome. Clearly illegal. Politician sends aid to foreign country. Then asks foreign country hey you just got your aid delivered, is there anything to this rumor I heard? Probably ok

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The sheriff’s office was certainly more at fault, but participating in the scheme is not right. This would certainly be covered in mandatory corporate ethics training that all Apple employees would need to take.

Something is missing from this story. I’m not sure, but I think they may not be allowed carry a weapon at all without the license. They obviously need to carry in this case. They may have felt pushed in a corner enough to resort to ethically questionable behavior. I’d be interested to know if they tried reporting this to the sec of state, but such a process may have been too onerous or they could have suffered payback from the sherrif’s office if it failed.
Imo it's very risky to do this "deal" but going through the proper internal process (which what Moyer did) as Apple is a publicly traded company. If Moyer had nefarious intent as well, the "deal" would probably be done on the side, off the books.

Reactions: 4nNtt

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
They are police academy flunkies, and the last people you’d want handling firearms.

Apple should have to hire police if they want to have guns around.
And you know that how? There are many well-trained private security firms and private companies or individuals cannot hire police for private security. Just because you watched “Mall Cop” does not make you an expert on private security firms

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
What about the possible scenerio of Moyer saying to the sherrif's office, 'issue the gun permits first and some time later I will donate you 200 ipads'. Didn't the judge take that possible scenerio into question???

Probably, but the judge has to decide based on all the evidence and not just "well, maybe he..."

Could that be considered libel against the judge? Let me email him and find out what he thinks

I doubt anyone would take this as a serious suggestion; plus the judge is a public official and thus libel standards are higher. He could get mad, he could do something, would it stick is the question?

A lot of firms have highly trained staff, often former or retired police or military who are quite capable and professional,; they just cost a lot but Apple no doubt can afford the cost.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
No, its really not. There is a significant difference between trained people needing firearms as part of their job and random untrained people having firearms just because they want them. Where ever one stands on the gun control argument, that difference is still there.
Anyone can train with guns. This is not a useful distinction. Gun ranges in America are full of people training with guns every day of the week.

If you are anti guns than no one needs guns. Most police in the UK have no guns. If guns have a useful purpose they can be useful to everyone who has the use case.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
I believe it is along the lines of “Guns for me but not for thee”. Guns are only bad when other people have them but Apple needs them.
Security personnel in the US need guns because everyone else in the US has guns. Almost no one in Japan (where I live) has guns so security personnel carry only batons as standard issue. This is an Apple issue because it’s a US issue.

• Disagree
Reactions: centauratlas

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
I believe it is along the lines of “Guns for me but not for thee”. Guns are only bad when other people have them but Apple needs them.
Security personnel in the US need guns because everyone else in the US has guns. Almost no one in Japan (where I live) has guns so security personnel carry only batons as standard issue. This is only an Apple culture issue because it’s a US culture issue.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
YOU are not allowed to have guns, you are not allowed to have a public police that maintains the rule of law, you are not allowed to have a secure boarder free from invasion. Meanwhile, THEY have private security forces, they live in gated communities with armed guards ready to shoot you dead, and they fly around the world in private jets while making more money than ever before impoverishing the working person. So liberal, loving, and progressive!
Where did you dream this up? Even if the text of the second amendment was misread by the SC to from allowing militias organized by the state to have arms to everyone can have them, well you know lots of people have guns,and use them in mass shootings (so much for the right to life). We have lots of police - shoving old men to the ground and cracking their skulls open, shooting people in the back (is it wrong to want accountability and responsibility for those entrusted with our protection?),and too bad we didn't have more police on Jan 6 when they were attacked and killed by treasonous scum. Been awhile since a foreign power invaded us, so highly unlikely, not worth considering. who is "THEY"? The super rich, largely conservative crowd backing tax cuts for themselves?

Seriously, your post almost made my head explode

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
You make the radical assumption the “random” people are untrained. It is a logical fallacy.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Hold on a minute, the accusation against Moyer is that he offered a sherrifs office 200 ipads for gun permits and the judge found him not guilty because he belived Moyers excuse that he was in the belief that the permits he had been requesting had already been issued before the offer of the ipads was put before the sherrif's office and that because sherrif's office did not take possession of the ipads before gun permits were issued, moyer is found innocent!!!???

I guess we could suppose and what-about, all day. Judge ruled on evidence as he saw it, not some made up stuff

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
There is nothing about "gun for me but not for you" stuff here. I believe you can also apply for those permits yourself as an individual.
That’s … the “for me, not thee” part.
Sure you can apply. And you’ll be denied.

I got a permit in NY. It was marked “sporting use only”, made clear I’d lose it if caught carrying it for legitimate self defense. Literally 99.9% of permits issued there had the same practical denial: can have it but can’t use it. Turns out the judge who applied that restriction was involved in cocaine trafficking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.